How many calories should you have left at the end of the day?

Options
My calories allowed for the day are 1200 and I've been under this amount for four days now (I just started). The app is telling me it will not track my progress because I'm eating too few calories. I've been having 200 and 300 calories left and apparently it doesn't like this. How are you supposed to lose weight if it doesn't want you to have a calorie deficit?!

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    1200 IS a calorie deficit. Your deficit is already there. Eat the full 1200 every day, it's your bare minimum.
  • chrisssiex23x
    chrisssiex23x Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I eat under mines every day and i get told the same thing im 76lbs lighter for not eating my 120p calories
  • aliyahhill12345
    aliyahhill12345 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    AllOutof_Bubblegum is right. 1200 calories is your deficit. Try to have a low calorie snack afterwards or if its a huge problem go to your goals and change calories to 1000 calories instead of 1200.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    None.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    AllOutof_Bubblegum is right. 1200 calories is your deficit. Try to have a low calorie snack afterwards or if its a huge problem go to your goals and change calories to 1000 calories instead of 1200.

Uhm what?

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    My calories allowed for the day are 1200 and I've been under this amount for four days now (I just started). The app is telling me it will not track my progress because I'm eating too few calories. I've been having 200 and 300 calories left and apparently it doesn't like this. How are you supposed to lose weight if it doesn't want you to have a calorie deficit?!

Yep - 1200 is the bare-minimum MFP will suggest for females (males get 1500). The limit is in place because they believe anything lower is irresponsible. Eating under 1200 makes it very, very difficult to intake your proper nutrition and everything your body needs to run and survive. Although "starvation mode" and "static metoblism" are myths, there are unpleasant side effects to eating too low:
    • Hair loss
    • Brittle fingernails
    • Increased and prolonged muscle fatigue
    • Exhaustion
    • Sleep disorder
    • Lowered immune system

If the MFP app is recommending 1200, I think you might have your goals set too aggressively. If you really only have 19 lbs to lose, you're probably only going to see a .5 - 1 lb a week loss. Set your goal accordingly and see if it doesn't allow you a few more calories per day - then eat there. (MFP's recommendations are already considering the deficit. There's no need for you to eat less.) If you work out, be sure you're also eating back about 1/2 the calories you burn.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

No. Horrible idea. Do not do this. Eat no less than 1200, ever.

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options

Oh, please don't do this. 1,000 once in a blue moon is fine. Making it a daily goal can be detrimental to your overall health.

Remember too, losing weight is a lifestyle change. Meaning it has to be sustainable. So whatever deficit you live under, ask yourself, "Can I do this for the rest of my life?"
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    you have to be within less than a 100 calories or you will get that message. sometimes I am a little short of the 1200 but I always try to get close to that. plus I like eating, I dont want to waste too many lol
  • getup25
    getup25 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I believe it won't log if you're under 1,000.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    You should have as close to zero calories left. MFP builds a deficit in already, so eat all 1200 and you should lose weight, I swear.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,933 Member
    Options

Are you logging exercise? If so, try just logging 50% - many people suggest this as the estimated burn is too high.

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Eat as close to 1200 cals as possible. That is your deficit unless you like losing your muscles and hair. It is not a competition to see who can eat the least. You either lose the weight too fast and gain it all back or you can lose weight at a steady pace learning portion control and daily cal needs to survive.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    zero. You're goal is the minimum you should eat. Plus, if you are exercising, you should be eating back a portion of that. If you burn 250 calories during your workout, eat another 125 - 175 calories for a total of 1325 - 1375.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    The only time I don't eat all of my calories is if I'm feeling really ill.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    You have to eat at least 1,000. My MFP suggest cal intake was 1,060 when I first started and is now 1,200. I eat a little under it almost every day and it still calculates. You just have to make sure you eat 1,000 calories. Anything under is unhealthy for your body. 1,200 itself is already a deficit, and you will lose.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    A goal is meant to be met and/or exceeded. So you shouldn't have any left. Don't let the red/green colors deter/spur you on. If your goal is 1200 calories, you need to be eating that 1200 calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

1200 is the goal you want to MEET.

MFP gave you 1200 based on "I want to lose XX pounds per week." If you eat 1200 (+ exercise calories) you lose weight (about the same as your weekly goal. If you eat 1500 (+ exercise calories) I bet you still lose weight (just not as fast).

1200 is MFPs lowest default minimum (when the system is not screwed up...ignore the 1,000 calorie advice unless you are 4'2" tall). If you put in 2 pounds a week and that goal is totally impractical...then weight loss will not be 2 pounds.

Just pick a goal that is sustainable.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    alykief wrote: »
    You have to eat at least 1,000. My MFP suggest cal intake was 1,060 when I first started and is now 1,200. I eat a little under it almost every day and it still calculates. You just have to make sure you eat 1,000 calories. Anything under is unhealthy for your body. 1,200 itself is already a deficit, and you will lose.

That was a glitch in the system. Under normal working conditions MFP will not give any woman a goal that is under 1200.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

MFP gives you a goal to eat at that will result in weight loss without exercise. In your case, it says you should eat 1200 on days you don't workout and at least 1200 on days you do workout.