Assess my squat

Options
determined_14
determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
edited June 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm really putting myself out here, so be gentle!
I would appreciate a few knowledgeable people to take a look at my squat form. I've never worked with a trainer; just watched videos and read up on form. I don't think I quite break parallel on that last rep, but tell me what you think:
View My Video
Am I going low enough (except for the last rep?) How's my form? My speed? Is there anything I do pretty well?
(And I think the video is only viewable from a computer. I apologize-- if someone knows how to fix this, let me know.)

Replies

• CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    For me, the video is "squished" so it's really hard to see your true form. Can you maybe post it on YouTube and then re-post with a link? I think you're going sort of fast, and your bar isn't staying completely in a vertical line as you go up and down. You LOOK like your knees are over your toes, but again, the video seems to be compressed vertically.

Also, get to the group "Eat, Train, Progress" and they have a stickied page where the two moderators will check your form if you post your video there. They're very active and will give you great advice (far better than what I would).
  • determined_14
    Options
    The knees over the toes thing... I've read that some people's physique doesn't actually work that way, and I think I'm one. So I focus more on keeping my chest and shins at the same angle. But I'm sure I have some room for improvement.
    I'll look into reposting the video from YouTube. Thanks for your feedback.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Don't rotate to dismount - that's how injuries happen. Try to use a squat rack
    Use a weight that's near your maximum - it brings out more errors. :+1:
    Put the camera slightly in front, not behind you.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Despite the strangely squished video this is what I noticed.
    1. You seem to buckle forward a bit - and that could just be your losing tightness in your back/lats.
    2. Depth looks good. You could go shallower if you wanted to avoid the stretch reflex at the bottom.
    3. To address point 1 and what @Cherimoose express concern over. I see that you rack from your bench press. I would recommend purchasing some squat stand or go DIY.
    4. squatstands.jpg
    5. Having a squat rack will allow you to have a proper pre-squat set-up and go heavier someday.
  • determined_14
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! Sorry about the weird video-- not sure what's up with that. But when I get access to a real computer, I'll mess with it.
    Trust me, squat rack is on my wish-list! I don't typically do the rotation thing when re-racking; that was just for getting a better video angle (which apparently still could have been better-- sorry!).
    Can you describe what a stretch reflex is?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I had a big thing typed up, but then I lost it. C'est la vie.

In addition to nakedraygun mentioned - and I think it's probably linked to upper back tightness (or lack thereof) that he mentioned - you seem to raise your hips before your torso. Since you're walking out from your bench, I'm guessing you're not up near your max. While this isn't a terribly big deal with lower weights, it'll likely pose a big problem as the weights get heavier.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Along with what Matt said about losing tightness, I think I see a bit of buttwink creeping in towards the last few reps (again, hard to see with the video being out of proportion).

It could be that you're losing tightness in the upper back as the reps progress and this is playing into you losing tightness at the bottom. Since it seems to be more pronounced in later reps, you might want to "re-tighten" at the top between reps. Imagine you are doing 5 sets of perfect singles rather than a single set of five, if that makes sense?

Post another video and we'll take another crack at it....
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I will direct you to a thread I actually made yesterday where @nakedraygun posted an excellent video that details every portion of the squat and how to execute. About 2/3 of the way down. 20 mins long and worth every second: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10190880/squat-form-check-old-knee-problems-are-haunting-me?new=1

You were definitely getting pushed forward and your knees were coming over the toes, which shifts the load toward the quads and puts a bunch of stress on your knees.

You should really be squatting inside a power rack with safety catches or a half rack with j-hooks. Free squatting will make you subconsciously break form in an effort to keep yourself from tipping over. You will be too worried about falling instead of trying to complete the lift. If you don't have a squat rack, stick to other exercises and don't do squats until you can do them safely and correctly. Compound lifts are great for building strength and size fast, but they can also seriously mess up your joints and cause injury if you don't do them right.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    The knees over the toes thing... I've read that some people's physique doesn't actually work that way, and I think I'm one. So I focus more on keeping my chest and shins at the same angle. But I'm sure I have some room for improvement.

^^^ YES! I have wondered this for so long. If my knees are over my toes, the sides of my feet are taking all of the pressure and it causes pain. My knees/hips tend to bow out.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    alykief wrote: »

^^^ YES! I have wondered this for so long. If my knees are over my toes, the sides of my feet are taking all of the pressure and it causes pain. My knees/hips tend to bow out.

Sounds like you are both having the same issue I did. You might require a slightly wider stance. Also, you MUST make sure your knees track along the same path as your foot points. If you have your feet closer, your toes are pointing mostly forward. If you have a wider stance, your toes are going to end up pointing out more. If you aren't tracking correctly, you will notice it is hard to keep your knees from feeling like they are bowing, and the torque you will apply to your knee joint will certainly begin to hurt.

Keeping your body tight, having a narrow grip on the bar, and firmly locking the bar into your lats are also pretty crucial to getting the weight to link straight to the posterior chain (this is all in the video I described from my post).
    Options
    It's the bounce you can get at the bottom. It appeared to me you were benefiting from it in your video - which isn't an entirely bad thing.

Also, I don't think anyone complimented you on the punerific title of your post. Very cheeky. I had a glute laugh at that. Whatta ham!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It's the bounce you can get at the bottom. It appeared to me you were benefiting from it in your video - which isn't an entirely bad thing.

Also, I don't think anyone complimented you on the punerific title of your post. Very cheeky. I had a glute laugh at that. Whatta ham!

That's quite enough internet for you, young man!
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »

That's quite enough internet for you, young man!
    MOM! LEAVE ME ALONE!!!
  • determined_14
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I confess that I do have some knee soreness, so as much as it frustrates me, I guess I'll de-load and figure out how to get this form down!
    (The pun was an accident, but I'm glad you got a chuckle out of it! :p )
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It could just be the end of the day and me being burnt out... but I'm not following the knee's over toes comments in here. It's pretty normal for knees to track over toes while squatting, especially if you're hitting depth... Are we suggesting otherwise?

squats.jpg
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Other than that, the only thing I could really see what you getting tossed a bit forward as you are coming out of the bottom (on a few reps). Generally, this is because you're losing tightness in your core. It is difficult to see some of the other things which may be going on due to the angle and quality.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    It could just be the end of the day and me being burnt out... but I'm not following the knee's over toes comments in here. It's pretty normal for knees to track over toes while squatting, especially if you're hitting depth... Are we suggesting otherwise?

squats.jpg

I may be just as burnt out as you, because that's what I saw too.

Restricting knee movement behind the toes increases hip and lower back torque.
    http://liftbigeatbig.com/dont-let-your-knees-go-past-your-toes/
  • determined_14
    Options
    Wow, the experts chime in! I'm flattered! (No knock to anyone else who commented-- I don't recognize everyone here, but I know LolBroscience and usmcmp know their stuff!)
    All things to think about. If I were to get a few sessions with a PT, how would people recommend I go about finding a good one?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Wow, the experts chime in! I'm flattered! (No knock to anyone else who commented-- I don't recognize everyone here, but I know LolBroscience and usmcmp know their stuff!)
    All things to think about. If I were to get a few sessions with a PT, how would people recommend I go about finding a good one?

Several certifications and years of experience is a good start.

I look for: NSCA CSCS and NASM Master Trainer (I also prefer NASM CES). A kinesiology degree or degree in Exercise Science is good.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options

squats.jpg

Not to quibble, but the guy in that sketch has abnormally tiny feet and pointy knees. B)

Finding a good personal trainer.