My Jean Problem

Options
Okay here I go, I know 60lbs or 59.8lbs (lol) is a huge feat, but in that time I've only went down just 1 pants size. So here's my question, as you thin out do the pant sizes maybe start going down more? Unfortunately, I feel bummed because at 60lbs lost I am still on the high end of the plus size world and I still can't find any jeans (I'm still rocking my saggy 20's).

Replies

• c_ramey
    c_ramey Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the brand of jeans, I have lost 35lbs can still wear some of my 16's and I bought 2 pairs of 12's last week! I am hoping 12 is my size right now!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Everybody is so different you will get there when it is your time. Not much of an answer unfortunately though.

Im only 5'4" but would have been in a size 18 at about 210 pounds, size 16 at 185-200 pounds, size 14 at 170-185, and am "floating" within the 160's these days and in a size 12. I have a couple of size 10 items that I just don't feel to great in yet so those are in waiting.
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    i really think it is the brand of jeans too. I started at a tight 20, but I can fit into 18's and some 16s...Sucks right?
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    From what I've noticed, people who start out in the ~300lb range tend to lose more in their face/neck area and belly first then eventually everywhere else. Nothing official just a trend that I've noticed. Eventually 10 lbs becomes a huge difference in appearance it just takes awhile to get there!
  • PaulaJKelly
    PaulaJKelly Posts: 96
    Options
    First of congratulations on just short of 60 pounds lost. You need to recognize that is a wonderful accomplishment. It may be that your hips, waist, and thighs are the areas that are prone to keep the inches on. Just don't get discouraged and give up. I would keep trying to find some interim pairs as you are working towards your goal. Can you wash your current (saggy :) ) jeans in hot water and in a hot dryer to see if they shrink some? Otherwise, I would check out consignment stores, good will, etc. trying to find something that will work for now. You will see results. Also, maybe someone can recommend exercises for these areas that may help. Good Job! And thanks to your family as it sounds as though your husband may be in the military.
  • SweetP88
    SweetP88 Posts: 79
    Options
    When I was 166lbs I wore a size 11/12 and did not go down in jeans for a while....I bought my first other pair of jeans at 142lbs and they were a size 7....so really I didn't change size for a while but when I did it was substantial!!
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've lost around 20lbs and gone from a size 10 to a 4 or 6, so yes, I think the smaller you get, the faster you go through sizes...
  • linda4040
    linda4040 Posts: 3
    Options
    That's where the exerice comes in...I haven't lost weight but I'm losing inches from all the walking I'm doing. Keep on working It will all come together......
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    Congrats on the loss. I have a question, I personally didn't realize it until after I tried shorts. Are you still looking in plus sizes? If so, go try on a pair of 18 from regular women's size department. Believe it or not, they may fit better than the plus - this was the case for me and I was ecstatic at the discovery. It's like the plus size 18 waist is smaller than the regular 18 waist, but the overall jean fit so much better on me, as do the shorts, dresses and skirts. Give it a try - you might end up as pleasantly surprised as I was (I hope for you to be).
    Oh and don't give up after 1 pair, it took several pairs before I found some brands that fit better than others.
  • keatonjazz
    keatonjazz Posts: 8
    Options
    If I understand your question correctly, I think I might have an answer. If a large person loses a significant amount of weight, the weight comes off fairly evenly from their whole body- if you have a large body, that will be a little bit everywhere. Even though this is a SIGNIFICANT achievement, it isn't going to show up in actual inches as much. When you are smaller, taking that same amount of weight off is going to translate into more inches. The actual jean sizes are pretty regular in terms of inches, but yes, the smaller you are, the more that weight loss will affect your jean size. That is why very thin women may fluctuate between jean sizes a lot, whereas larger women will maintain the same size even though their weight fluctuates just as much.

When I lost and gained weight at size 16, I didn't realize it nearly as much as when I fluctuated at a smaller size. Do not worry, the closer to your goal you are, the more of a difference it will make in your clothing!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    agreed..I think it depends on the store and the brand of jeans...but I wore the same jeans for a Loooong time before they started getting loose, and some that are the same size didnt fit for a while...

also,. if you start toning and stuff, INCHES will melt away and you will drop sizes quicker!
  • xdannigirl
    xdannigirl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I started at 132 and I'm down to 127 now...I've gone down 2 sizes since I started (at size 8) and I just got brand new size 6 jeans like 2 weeks ago. :/
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Women's clothing sizing sucks! it is purposefully misleading, some brands make their sizes extra large to make women want to buy the brand more others stay true to "industry standards" and will seem smaller.

I am down 37# and recently bought scrubs in XL not 2X, 18 pants/jeans not 22 from the same store. Every body is different and you may have lost more inches from areas that do not affect the fit of your jeans (mid/lower legs), upper body.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Jean sizes are so funky and not universal. I have a pair of 6's that are a bit big and then I have a pair of 10's that are a little tight. I also have a pair of Silver size 29s (my skinny jeans) that are ridiculously tight and barely zip, but I've tried different Silvers at the store and have fit into a 26. Then I have a pair of 6's that are actually a little bit big, and a pair of 10s that I can't even get past my hips...thank you vanity sizing...:wink:
  • Ashykins
    Ashykins Posts: 233
    Options
    From what I've noticed, people who start out in the ~300lb range tend to lose more in their face/neck area and belly first then eventually everywhere else. Nothing official just a trend that I've noticed. Eventually 10 lbs becomes a huge difference in appearance it just takes awhile to get there!

My face/neck have thinned out a lot, I'm just wondering how many lbs do I have to lose to get into the next size. I guess I'll have to see.
  • clwatlington
    clwatlington Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would definitely agree with Foreverloved.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine who is in the plus size category swears by Lane Bryant jeans because they go more by the shape of your body rather than by some cookie cutter size BS. I know that some people tend to lose weight/inches more slowly in some areas than others. I've lost 10 pounds but not really any inches around my waist or hips.
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I lost 35 and went from a 10/12 to a 4/6, I think it depends on where and how you carry the weight.