Mochaccino and How do you use protein powder?

Options
kathleennf
kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
OK so I am trying to eat more protein and I just bought protein powder for the first time. I used it in the blender (chocolate protein powder) with leftover coffee and ice to make "Mochacinno" which was quite good. Who out there uses protein powder? What do you do with it? Do you use it in recipes? I would love some suggestions.

Replies

• TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    OK so I am trying to eat more protein and I just bought protein powder for the first time. I used it in the blender (chocolate protein powder) with leftover coffee and ice to make "Mochacinno" which was quite good. Who out there uses protein powder? What do you do with it? Do you use it in recipes? I would love some suggestions.

Same idea - I add it to my coffee in the morning with a couple of TBSP of sugar free creamer.
  • BuckeyeLuvvvva
    BuckeyeLuvvvva Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just recently starting making protein shakes with powder myself! I have two kinds of powder: vanilla and chocolate. With the chocolate I will sometimes add one of the following: 1 tbsp powdered peanut butter (PB2), half a fresh banana, instant coffee. With the vanilla I'll had half a cup of strawberries (my favorite of all shakes) or any of the other add-ins that can go with chocolate. I've found it's fun to get creative with it! hope this helps, good luck!
  • PaulaJKelly
    PaulaJKelly Posts: 96
    Options
    I am using a companies - don't know if I can say names - system. They have one that can be mixed in water. Some people use water and ice, others use nonfat milk and ice, some add frozen fruit (sugarless is available at Walmart), others doctor it up with flavorings. You just have to expect that slighly gritty consistency as it won't seem to go away. Another good source of protein is non-fat cottage cheese also available at Walmart.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I use Isopure zero carb protein (http://www.theisopurecompany.com/powders.php#zerocarb). It packs 50g of protein, 0 carbs and 210 calories for 2 scoops! I usually have 1/2 scoop in some water before p90x and to sip on during. Then 2 scoops with a scoop of fiber in ice cold water immediately following for breakfast. It dissolves very well, even in really cold water, and practically nothing left in the bottom of the glass.
    It's filling enough to hold me until mid-morning snack or even lunch, really. I have the pineapple orange banana flavor, so it probably wouldn't be that great in coffee! :noway: Your recipe sounds great. Maybe I will grab the Dutch Chocolate next time.
  • stacsir
    stacsir Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am using a companies - don't know if I can say names - system. They have one that can be mixed in water. Some people use water and ice, others use nonfat milk and ice, some add frozen fruit (sugarless is available at Walmart), others doctor it up with flavorings. You just have to expect that slighly gritty consistency as it won't seem to go away. Another good source of protein is non-fat cottage cheese also available at Walmart.

I would like to know what you are using if you could message it to me. I am also using a powder drink mix that I love but can not afford all the time.
  • PJmetts
    PJmetts Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I blend with light soy milk and fruit, make up 2 at a time and freeze one. I eat the second one as an "Iceie" type snack the next day
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    You mentioned gritty.... I use muscle milk protein powder and I have not had any gritty taste. I have just started trying these so I have nothing to compare it to and I have only had the vanilla creme. Just thought I would share.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I just posted this on my page =D.

8oz milk (your choice of type, I use 1% for now), 1 frozen banana, 1 scoop chocolate protien powder, 1 tbsp milled flaxseed (fiber and good fats), 4 ice cubes. On work out days or on high calorie days (I'm zig zagging my calorie intake), I'll toss in a mint oreo or two.

If you search the recipe section...there's some awesome protien shake recipes available =D.
  • cjnolt
    cjnolt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I add a scoop of protein to old fashioned oatmeal (that is my husbands favorite) or blend up a shake using a scoop of protein, unsweetened almond milk, flaxseed and fruit or whatever I feel like blending together that day. I also make no bake protein bars for on the go.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    You mentioned gritty.... I use muscle milk protein powder and I have not had any gritty taste. I have just started trying these so I have nothing to compare it to and I have only had the vanilla creme. Just thought I would share.

Ditto this! I am CRAZY PICKY about protein powder. The ONLY one I've found that I like is Muscle Milk. It's really good. :drinker:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I add mine to coffee (black) along with some cold water so I can drink it quickly.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! Lots of great ideas to try! :smile:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I add a scoop of protein to old fashioned oatmeal (that is my husbands favorite) or blend up a shake using a scoop of protein, unsweetened almond milk, flaxseed and fruit or whatever I feel like blending together that day. I also make no bake protein bars for on the go.

I seriously need to look into the no bake protien bars...when I'm out and about, it's difficult to cover my calories sometimes!