Weightloss & relationships

Options
So I'm only 18 years old and I've been with my boyfriend (also 18 years old) for just under a year now. We were best friends before we started dating and still are best friends. We tell each other everything. I've been talking to him about my new healthier lifestyle but I feel weird talking about it at the same time. I kind of feel vulnerable or something like that when I talk to him about how long I went to the gym for today and stuff like that. I'm not sure if it's because it means that I don't like something about myself and I'm working to change it or what it is but anyways, that's how I feel . I just wanted to see if I wasn't the only one that feels this way when talking to their significant other about the gym and eating habits, and if any of you guys had anything to say. Any feed back or anything. Feel free to friend me, I'm in need of mutual support (and giving it!)

Replies

• misssmiles
    misssmiles Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    When i made the decision to change my habits my boyfriend was totally on board! When i get home from the gym he asks me how many calories i burned and is my biggest fan! At first i felt uncomfortable talking about weightloss with him... but i realized how supportive he is and i know i couldn't have done it without him!
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I asked my boyfriend if he thinks I'm obsessive about it, or talk about it all the time, and he said "kind of"... but he always listens and pretends to care! Haha. And I have noticed he's started to take an interest in going to the gym himself and working out, so it is affecting him and I'm glad.
  • bluebeatle49
    Options
    My husband and I are doing this together, so I think both of us are a little vulnerable, for instance he wont exercise in front of me, and I feel very uncomfortable doing it in front of him. Plus communication about these things are difficult. I think all relationships have these kind of times, he's not changing his lifestyle too and so you feel strange about talking about it. It happens.. I always feel like bad when something is going on with me that isn't going on with my husband and I talk about it. I don't think you should feel bad. Every thing will work out.

(BTW, Hi, I am Manda, and I am 23.)
  • Rena421
    Rena421 Posts: 31
    Options
    In order to have a healthy relationship, you yourself need to be healthy. By working out and making good food choices, you are being the best person you can be. When you share your daily experiences, it motivates your boyfriend to be healthy person. My husband and I make fitness a bit part of our marriage. We workout together, talk about nutrition, and watch shows such as The Biggest Loser and X-Weighted. We do this so that we can have a long happy, healthy life together. We are accountable to one another. I do have to watch that I don't obsess over things. I really don't think that my husband needs to know about every pound that I go up or down.