Renting Fitness Equipment

Options
Hello,

Does anyone have experience with hiring exercise equipment? Someone at my work was talking about how they rent a cross-trainer. There's a company near to me that do it and I'm tempted to go for the rowing machine - 8 weeks is £35 - that sounded pretty reasonable!

Does anyone have any thoughts/tips on making it work and not becoming an expensive clothes rack?

Thanks in advance :)

Julie

Replies

• Spice1973
    Spice1973 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this where I live but I think it sounds like a great idea! If nothing else, it would give people a chance to try out different equipment and see if it is something they are going to use long term before they make an expensive purchase. I say go for it.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I thought about this and excellent choice on rowing machine. make sure its a Concept 2 which am sure it will be. I am musing on buying one as they keep their value pretty well, but my gym is close by.

They are a bit noisy so make sure you wont have neighbour problems.

The advantage of your own is you can keep doing bits here and there, which will all add up. You cna also listen to your own music or have the TV on, but watching a film might give me a bit of motion sickness.

If you cna rent for that price, then I think its good if gym isnt an option. Presumably youve used one before?

Its only going to become a clothes rack if you decide not to use it. Ut will give you a good all body workout if you put the effort in. You should still do resistance training though. If you have any questions then drop me a line. The indoor rower has been my go to cardio and I do reasonably long distances now.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    water rower would be fine alternative and they are quiet and comfy.
  • lakelochness
    lakelochness Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks 999tigger for the awesome advice! I'll maybe drop you a message since I'm unsure if you'll get a notification about my reply!

I've checked and the concept 2 is a lot more expensive, it's £120 for the 8 weeks - or £65 for 4.

I reckon I might go for the cheap one to start and then if I do use it I'd look at trying the better one? Or would it be best to have the better equipment? These are the three they have here. http://www.fitnesstakeaway.com/rowing-machine-hire/#

I really love the rowing machine when I'm at the gym, so I hope I would use it. It's one of these exercises that I genuinely take pleasure in, cycling is the same, whereas I hate running! Even as you say, if I could do a bit here and there because it happens to be right there in the house that'd be good.

As far as resistance training goes, I've got some dumbells in the house as well and am getting back into yoga - I used to do it all the time but fell out of the habit when I changed jobs.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I think its a great way to ease into working out at home. I would totally do it if I had the option near me. It would be great to try out a machine before buying one.

Ultimately, buying one would be most cost effective in the long run, but this is a great way to try before you buy