Who Has Dropped Their Blood Pressure? Tell Your Story!

Options
13»

Replies

• AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    My BP seems to have a direct correlation to my weight.

About 7 years ago, I got up to about 220lb...BP was 140/90ish. Doctor started talking about putting me on medication, so I started losing weight.

Got down to around 170...BP was 120/80.

Gained a little back, up to about 185-190...BP was 130/85.

Got pregnant, was almost 250lb by the end...BP was 160/90 (and I don't think it had much to do with the pregnancy).

Delivered my son, dropped to around 225 immediately...BP was 140/90ish again.

Lost another 60lb to get down to 170 again...BP was 115/75ish.

Got pregnant again. I've kept my weight much more under control this pregnancy, (at 34 weeks pregnant I'm around 190)...BP is 120/80.

My body's happy weight seems to be around 170. Although I would be happier with it being more like 150 :).
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Reduced sodium, increased potassium. Whala!!
  • debkie77
    debkie77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have lost 93 pounds since mid-January and as a result my doctor took me off Enalapril earlier this week. Hoping to get off hydrochlorothyazide next time. Blood pressure and blood sugar both down significantly since last year's check up.
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I was too heavy for years and watched my BP climb up. Was in denial that it was ongoing, not a transient issue. I finally admitted it was a real issue and started meds. I hate taking pills. I tried at least 10 of the most common prescriptions, and had severe coughing reactions to each one of them, to the point that I was throwing up from coughing so much. My coworkers mumbled that maybe I have TB and to stay away from them! I got pneumonia from having my respiratory system so irritated. Found one that was the least irritating, but I was very frustrated and googled how to lower blood pressure naturally. Read all the things I already knew but couldn't seem to get a handle on-lose weight, lower sodium intake, increase physical activity.......I found MFP and started using it just to track my sodium. (I am a salt addict, surprise). Got into it, started seeing pounds drop, BP drop, increased my activity...I feel wonderful now. Still have trouble with salt intake, but so much better and MFP tracking really stares me in the face if I make bad choices. Really appreciate this site.
  • patrosy
    patrosy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    4 years ago I was 120kg (264LB), smoking 1 pack per day and consumed alcohol daily. My only exercise involved getting to the fridge. BP was measured by my sister-in-law (nurse) at a family party and found to be 180/90!! Since then, gave up smokes, modified my diet to include more fruit & vege and less fatty and sugary food, only drink occassionally, exercise (cardio &/or weights) 1-2 hours daily and lost 45kg (100lb). I now weigh 75kg (165lb). My BP is now consistently at 110/70. The recuperating powers of the body are truly amazing.
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I suffer from low blood pressure. Lots of times I don't even tip into the 80s and after a good workout I'm dropping dangerously low. Feels fine to me though, but I can get lightheaded sometimes.
    Found out the best thing is to munch on something loaded with sodim. A quick fix is salt in my palm. Then I have to kick off my morning with a 280 calorie hot pocket. A lot of sodium in it and I feel great.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    In 1989, I used to have my blood pressure checked at the Navy on base hospital every day. It was 140/95. they put me on a low dose hypertension pill for years. I stopped taking it 2012 when Jenny Craig helped me lose some weight, but it just didn't stick. I never lost it in my head, so presently I am down almost 30 lbs, and my blood pressure runs around 126/72. That BP was taken when I was about to donate blood so I was a bit nervous too!! I have done a 180' on my eating and I feel mauvalous! My core feels stronger, and its nice to not have to worry so much about high blood pressure!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Congratulations everyone on taking control over your health. Your future self is going to thank you so much!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!