Any other Celiacs out there?

Options
Though Celiac disease can cause some people to lose weight, for many, it does the opposite. The allergy to gluten actually makes your body hold on to fat as it thinks you are in starvation mode due to its inability to absorb nutrients as a result of the inflamed villi of the small intestine.

It is SUPER hard for me to lose weight-

Any support?

Replies

• xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I have CD. Up until I was diagnosed I wasn't losing weight whatsoever. I had thyroid issues and I was a mess. But cutting gluten out of my.diet 100% has completely changed that. I also do a lower carb diet.
  • lynnwithane
    lynnwithane Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am also celiac and I am not one of the skinny ones, either. Just to complicate things further, I am also hypothyroid. I have a very hard time losing weight. I consider a 1 pound weight loss a victory. I have been exercising about 3 hours a day and tracking all of my food. In the last few months I have managed to lose 7 pounds and to be honest, I am thrilled with that. Slow and steady.

I have been gluten free for over 2 years now and I find as long as I stay away from the gluten free breads and desserts, I can maintain my weight. I shop around the edges of the supermarket and eat very little processed or prepared foods. Maintaining is now easy, but losing is still very hard work. It is difficult to not get discouraged when the weight comes off so slowly.

Are you weight training? I found that really made a difference for me. I lift heavy weights 3 times a week in a weight lifting class at my local fitness facility. My body got smaller before the scale started to move, but move it did.
  • SwanBuch
    SwanBuch Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just saw your post... i too have celiac and overweight. I am trying to diet, exercise, and do the right stuff for my health but it is hard. I eat a gf diet but there are times when I have to do a work thing and, although I am careful, I end up sick. I feel so much better and have the energy to exercise when I am taking care of my diet. I struggle with this but so far I am losing weight and determined to run a 5K in early spring.