How to focus on health not looks

Options
Hi, my name is Myra and I'm new to MFP. My goal is to lose 50 lbs, but one day at a time, one pound (or maybe less) at a time. I am at least 75 lbs overweight and it's seriously affecting my health, my breathing, etc. so I've been aiming for the 10,000 steps every day and cutting way back on bread and cereal and avoiding sugar and eating more fruits and veggies. I'm trying to focus on health not looks.

Replies

• KathyRohr1
    KathyRohr1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm only one month in to MFP but it's worked exactly the way it's supposed to for my goal, I've lost 4 pounds! It's hard to let go of the lose it quick mentality but I'm working on it. Here's to your health!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    health is more importnat imo, but if you wnat to tie it in with weight loss then do be consistent and start to control the amount you consume by calorie counting.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Please know that you dont have to cut out any foods, its about overall calories not specific foods. Ive lost all my weight and kept it off while still enjoying the foods i love, in moderation. It comes down to calories in ~calories out. And has nothing to do with avoiding sugar and bread (unless you have a medical condition) portion control and moderation are key .
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP.
    Making new healthy habits will get you to your goal and beyond. Try to not focus on what you can't have, instead just make healthier substitutions.
    Calories do count though-so logging your food every day truly helps. After a few weeks it becomes a new habit.
    It gives you a clear view of just how many calories you do eat. I was shocked at first, since I thought I was eating pretty decently.
    Getting your 10,000 steps is a fine goal. Any activity is better than none.
    It was my poor health that got me started here, and my better health that keeps me here. :)
  • Agathokakological
    Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You can still have some of the things you're cutting out, it'll make it easier long-term. Restricting yourself so much will make it very difficult to sustain your new way of eating. Can it be done? Absolutely! But why deprive yourself? Calories are the number one thing to pay attention to, then after that, eat what makes you feel good. For me personally, I like whole foods, chicken, brown rice, veggies, fruits, etc... Foods that are themselves the one ingredient in them. Do I eat them all the time? No! But I do incorporate them because they make my body feel physically better. Things like animal crackers and chocolate make me feel emotionally better, so I have those too. Focus on calories and over time find a balance of foods that works for you. It'll be different for everyone.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I started to increase my walking in March and I have surpassed the 10,000 steps mark and 5 out of 7 days I am over 2 times that many. I avoid processed sugars but don't exclude them completely, I changed to high fiber-whole grain bread and cereal, and increased my protein. I am down 30 pounds. I was introduced to MFP in May and it make tracking and fine tuning my diet easier. I started to lose weight because I was beginning to develop type II diabetes. My Doctor said I would not need to take another pill if I lost 20% of my body weight. I feel so good eating healthy and exercising! You can do it and will be so glad you did.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    In addition to all of the above, get your body fat measured, as one way to track your health goals rather then just the number on the scale.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    myralobel wrote: »
    Hi, my name is Myra and I'm new to MFP. My goal is to lose 50 lbs, but one day at a time, one pound (or maybe less) at a time. I am at least 75 lbs overweight and it's seriously affecting my health, my breathing, etc. so I've been aiming for the 10,000 steps every day and cutting way back on bread and cereal and avoiding sugar and eating more fruits and veggies. I'm trying to focus on health not looks.

I started out because I hated how I looked, had a meltdown when my bra size increased again. I didn't realize how unfit I was until I started exercising and then my focus shifted to health. It's okay if your motivation is looks and it's okay if you eat bread and sugar. Just try to eat less than you burn and results will follow.

You got this.