Running pain

Options
I have some pain on my left side in my glute area and it extends down the back of my leg somewhat. I try to run over 5 miles at a time and the pain seems to linger even when I take breaks. Does anyone have any advice for me? I try to stretch before and after but I can't shake this. Please help!!! I do not want to stop running!!!

Replies

• Armyx2
    Armyx2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Get a foam roller and lay on that sucker and just keep on rolling. Seriously. As a distance runner who gets too grumpy if I take breaks to heal, foam rolling has either totally removed my pain or at least decreased it if I make sure to roll before bed and sometimes before a run. This might also be an indicator that the muscles surrounding the ones that hurt are comparably weak and need some targeted training and stretching. I got my roller for less than $5 at TJ Maxx.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Go see a doctor or physiotherapist. The internet can only help to a certain extent.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I second the foam roller. I don't run but do cycle and my knee has been driving me nuts. Going down stairs was the worst and my MRI said everything was good. I started rolling before bed and there was a definite difference between both of my legs. The one with the bum knee had knots around the IT band and as soon as I rolled, I had no pain going down the stairs. You have to be consistent to see results, but rolling definitely couldn't hurt.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Yeah, see a doctor for this one. Your mileage isn't crazy high, but "glute pain referred into back of the leg that lingers after running" is stuff like piriformis syndrome and high hamstring tendinopathy. You want a definite diagnosis and a PT referral so you can get at it the right way.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Stop running and get to a doctor.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Primary doctors usually aren't of much help for these things. They'll just tell you to stop running and take a pill.. generally speaking. No in-depth investigation into the cause. I'd see a physical therapist, or a sports doctor.

Which stretch are you doing? Try this one, hourly, for 30+ seconds:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=2qZ517Rw7ME
  • vanessamiller1974
    vanessamiller1974 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I did get to the doctor and he said that it is "most likely" piriformis syndrome. His suggestion is that I do Cortizone shots and stop running.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Shots and stop running? That seems kinda intense for the first intervention. I've never had this particular injury, but I've had my share of running injuries and am sidelined right now with calf issues. Will your doctor refer you to a PT or a sports doctor? Primary care doctors really don't help very much with these issues in my experience.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    rest, stretch, roll. also warmth, either bath or heating pad or rice pad
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I did get to the doctor and he said that it is "most likely" piriformis syndrome. His suggestion is that I do Cortizone shots and stop running.

Whoa--that's pretty extreme for something that's not completely debilitating, and won't correct the overall condition. I would suggest a second opinion.

I am suffering from piriformis syndrome currently as well--started flaring up back in December. I am under the care of a chiropractor/physical therapist (one and the same) and we are doing much less invasive therapy--lots of stretching, some heat, some ultrasound. I am still running (20+ miles last week).

Edited to add: if you sit at a desk all day, that's one of the primary causes--try to do less of that!

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

You may find this article of use then:

additional solutions
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I'd be inclined to seek out a sports doctor or PT before resorting to cortisone. Most regular GPs are not really qualified to hand sports injuries.