Quadriplegic looking for advice!

Options
My name is Craig. I'm 43 and have been in a wheelchair for 5 years. I have been working out for about a year but I cannot seem to lose weight. My exercise consists of strength training. I have a lot of difficulty doing cardio but I am working hard to improve that. I need to lose about 100 pounds. I'm looking for any advice I can get about diet.

Replies

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is about your calorie deficit. If you don't know about calorie deficits, read this:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

The biggest challenge for you will probably be finding the right estimates for what your body burns in a day, so you can eat less than that. The typical calculators may overstate your burn, even on sedentary -- although you could try it (set MFP to sedentary). Otherwise, you could calculate your BMR and try eating that or a bit below it, and see how you do in a month, then re-evaluate. And I could be wrong -- you may find you burn quite a bit of calories going through your day. But you won't know until you pick an initial calorie target, log faithfully and as accurately as you can, and check your progress over a month or two to test how it's working.

Also, you may be able to convert your strength training into cardio. Lighter weights and more speed basically is cardio -- anything that can get your heart rate up.

Here is a collection that includes lots of helpful links:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10000507/while-were-waiting-for-pinned-topics-to-come-back-all-those-useful-links-we-post-and-repost/p1
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Have you tried working with a physical therapist to find some ways to expand you workout?
  • doningerc7
    doningerc7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I work with my PT once a week. She teaches me new stuff and my brother and I put it in practice 3 to 4 additional times a week. My problem is I'm eating to much. I'm trying to stay at 1200 calories or less. I've managed to do this for the last couple of weeks. I'm weighing on Tuesday when I go back to therapy. I'm only going to weigh every 2 weeks.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Hi Craig,

1200 calories is too little for someone who needs to lose 100 pounds and is working out. Let's not even talk about "or less." What does MyFitnessPal say your goal should be?

To start, use your regular normal food. Commit to use it for a week -- every meal and snack, every condiment and drink -- a week's log complete in the foods and accurate in the measurements. This is not easy, it will take 15-20 minutes per meal and you'll still be vague on whether you're using it exactly right. Just do your best. It's a learning curve. The second week gets easier and more accurate. By the second month, it takes 5 minutes a day.

Print out your log from the website every week and review your meals. See which choices are most affecting your reaching the goal. Do not try to change everything: visualize only THREE THINGS you will do differently in the upcoming week: less food in that portion, maybe cooked/prepared differently, or possibly using a different food choice in that meal.

Keep using MFP and reviewing your logs for ideas and inspiration. You'll soon be regularly hitting your goals and the weight will be coming off at a decent rate (1-2 pounds a week on average).

Even if this sounds slow, keep in mind you've been working on this for a year through exercise and not losing weight. Also keep in mind that keeping it off requires the same discipline and skills and that part lasts forever -- so who cares if the "losing it" part is slow? Just keep going, keep eating right, gradually work to your reasonable MFP goal, keep working out for fitness -- it'll happen.

Message me if you have any questions, I don't normally watch the forums.

Robb here -- lost 100 lbs. in 10 months using MFP. Friend me.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I lost more than half my weight without exercise at all so you can definitely do it once you find your calorie sweet spot :) I often refer to this weight loss process as a never ending science project. Sometimes we just have to keep changing things up until we hit upon the right calorie numbers for our unique selves.

Do you have the ability to do any type of water workouts? Our community pool has a lift chair, life jackets and special aquatic therapy workouts for individuals with limited mobility. Perhaps your PT could recommend a place to give aquatic therapy a try? Best wishes on your journey :)
  • Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    what difference does it matter how much you work out or do cardio? unless you're doing enough to create the calorie deficit. You're not going to lose anything.
    Eat less. Find out your calorie usage. And eat less than that each day. Simple as. Using strength training or cardio to create the deficit if you're willing to put in so much work to them every day to burn more calories than you're already eating. Or just eat less, as easy as that.

And just an uneducated (and lack of caring enough to look it up) thought, doesn't being quadriplegic mean you can't move/use neither your legs nor your arms/hands? I'm a little confused about how you can strength training (or what muscles besides core / torso) or do cardio without any of the 4 limbs? if you can use one or some of them, fully or partially or some way. Or there are strength training equipment for people that can't use their limbs, then all good for you. I'm not saying anything bad about it. Just something I don't know how it works.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    doningerc7 wrote: »
    My name is Craig. I'm 43 and have been in a wheelchair for 5 years. I have been working out for about a year but I cannot seem to lose weight. My exercise consists of strength training. I have a lot of difficulty doing cardio but I am working hard to improve that. I need to lose about 100 pounds. I'm looking for any advice I can get about diet.

by brother in law is also in a wheelchair and has gained alot of weight since his accident. he finds that his diet is really the main culprit since he has limited mobility and can't work-out the way he used to. you might want to find a nutritionist who works with wheelchair bound patients who can help with what your calorie goals should be. keep doing the weight training, that is very important for your upper body strength. GL :smile:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Don't know if you're still following it, but I posted a reply to the identical post you made in the "introduce yourself" forum before I saw this one. It offered some advice on figuring out your calorie goals through empirical observation (i.e., using information from your logging and results over time), on the assumption that online calculators like MFP are not going to be accurate for a quadriplegic.
  • doningerc7
    Options
    Quadriplegia means that you have limited function in all 4 limbs. I can't feel from just under my collar bone down. I do however how have about 80% function in my arms. The counter on MFP says I should eat 1700 calories a day. As sedentary as I am I think it's to much.
  • doningerc7
    Options
    Don't know if you're still following it, but I posted a reply to the identical post you made in the "introduce yourself" forum before I saw this one. It offered some advice on figuring out your calorie goals through empirical observation (i.e., using information from your logging and results over time), on the assumption that online calculators like MFP are not going to be accurate for a quadriplegic.
    I saw it Thank you
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Quadriplegia means that you have limited function in all 4 limbs. I can't feel from just under my collar bone down. I do however how have about 80% function in my arms. The counter on MFP says I should eat 1700 calories a day. As sedentary as I am I think it's to much.

How much have you set your weekly weight loss goal to?

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options

That's why I suggested calculating your BMR. BMR would be calories burned in a coma -- a fairly ultimate version of sedentary. And it might help you come up with a starting calorie target that is safer for you.

Either way, you might want to consider getting a physician to supervise your weight loss, if you don't already have one (I'm assuming you don't, or you wouldn't be on the forum for tips). If you are going to go below the calories considered to be the minimum that's safe for a male, ANY male (1500), then it wouldn't be a bad idea. You don't want to end up malnourished.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Hi Craig and welcome

Unfortunately the MFP calculations would not be relevant in your situation because they are based on average estimates and not your specific level of disability

The best advice would be to ask your medical team for guidance on appropriate calorie consumption, eg can they run tests to estimate your TDEE ...how about doubly-labelled water would that be appropriate? Or a RMR test

Then come back and use the forums for ongoing support and help in your weight loss

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Can you box? I had a client you hung a bag in a spare room, just high enough for him to clear the arm rests, but low enough to box on. Not only helps with cardio conditioning, but strengthening bones and muscle through impact.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

You might want to look into Wheeler's Paramill and see if someone near you has a unit or can get one. It's a wheelchair treadmill, I've met the owner before. If you can get access to one, that might be a way to get some cardio.

I hope you find a good solution for you.