Alcohol

Options
russcarr75
russcarr75 Posts: 1 Member
My fitness is good as is my food intake. My problem is alcohol. Any tips on stopping?

Replies

• bibimazoon
    bibimazoon Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I can't have chardonnay in the house....it's my kryptonite
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason you have to stop? Nothing wrong with a drink or two.
  • grza36
    grza36 Posts: 21 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I've noticed that this is a problem with me as well, I'm not handling it in the healthiest way (switching to neat whisky instead of beer rather than abstaining from drinking), but I've found that doing that allows me to fit it into my calorie budget.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    why would you stop lol. all honestly I save my beer drinking for the weekend and I make sure it fits into my goal. sip it, have a salad for lunch, mix it with diet soda...girls gotta do what a girls gotta do. I tried giving it up and then I realized I'd rather not. so I just make it work.
  • mshanahan80
    mshanahan80 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Mine too, but my meals and fitness suck. Other than the fact I do manual labor I would be a complete blob. I "reward," myself nightly with beer and have all the negatives to show for it. I am quitting because I need the break and need to learn what living is again. My wife and kids deserve it. If you need a partner I'd be glad to share my experiences as I go through it at the same time. I will say that I am reevaluating my relationship with alcohol and not necessarily quitting for good.

Mike
  • lesliezimmer
    lesliezimmer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I tend to go over on cals on days that I drink alcohol. I have switched to tea. Whenever I want a drink at night, I brew some herbal tea or tea with lemon and honey. As you can see from my diary though, I haven't given up alcohol. It's just something I have to cut back on in order to stay under my calorie goals...
  • JensJourney11
    JensJourney11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I eat more when I drink, even if it's just a glass or 2 of wine. So I have to pretty much cut it out, at least during the week. Tonight, instead of wine, I had a tall glass of club soda with a shot of apple vodka, it was quite good and I didn't miss the wine.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Wine is my Achilles heal for sure. It always makes me go over. I am trying to cut it back to one day a week, but I have to keep it out of the house or I won't be successful.
  • Jungley
    Jungley Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm a pig for wine...I can drink buckets of it and once I start i can't stop til it's all gone. After a couple of years trying various methods of cutting down etc I have now cut it out completely. I've been gaining a pound a month for the past 5 years so clearly alcohol is taking me further away from where i want to be rather than closer to where i want to be.

Very interested in what others have to say about it. Quite a few seem to cut it out during the week...I've done that in the past but then tend to drink a couple of bottles on fri/sat/sunday night uggghh.

So far abstinance is going well!
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    How much do you drink?
  • divvyh
    divvyh Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you usually drink everyday, try switching to just Friday and Saturday. I have to include Monday night too. It's always rough going back to work.
  • Tarkusman
    Tarkusman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have lost a large amount of weight a few times. My approach to alcohol is abstaining from it all together until I reach the half way point to my goal. I celebrate reaching the halfway point and then reintroduce the alcohol one day a week until I reach goal. Drink of choice: Cuervo Gold Tequila with Diet Tonic and Lime. I love Craft Beers and thus; my problem. Blow up the helium balloon and I am off and running to another weight loss experience.
    Damn Beer!
  • blue2264
    blue2264 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've limited to Saturdays.... Well Saturday is my cheat day - I drink whatever i want but still make good food choices. Fridays night I'll sometimes have a 2 drinks max & I make it a low calorie one (usually just vodka & sparking water). But to be honest my progress hasnt been that spectacular...i've only lost 17lbs in 6 months
  • apadilla72
    apadilla72 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I tend to go over on cals on days that I drink alcohol. I have switched to tea. Whenever I want a drink at night, I brew some herbal tea or tea with lemon and honey. As you can see from my diary though, I haven't given up alcohol. It's just something I have to cut back on in order to stay under my calorie goals...
    Jungley wrote: »
    I'm a pig for wine...I can drink buckets of it and once I start i can't stop til it's all gone. After a couple of years trying various methods of cutting down etc I have now cut it out completely. I've been gaining a pound a month for the past 5 years so clearly alcohol is taking me further away from where i want to be rather than closer to where i want to be.

Very interested in what others have to say about it. Quite a few seem to cut it out during the week...I've done that in the past but then tend to drink a couple of bottles on fri/sat/sunday night uggghh.

So far abstinance is going well!

• andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I drink on Saturdays only. I make myself earn it. I walk 12 miles, and allocate a few calories extra deficit each of the other 6 days. I thus can drink, and eat a little more, have a good time, and not feel guilty for doing so.
  • Ritzaburk
    Ritzaburk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    What do you drink?

I switched to vodka/water only, and I'll put in a couple squirts of that MiO water enhancer to give it some flavor... It's actually pretty good, I'm hooked! Every now & then, I'll have a glass of wine or two, but not very often.
  • LorraineRock
    LorraineRock Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It really does depend on what - and how much - you drink. (A friend of mine who is type 1 Diabetic told me that dry white wine actually lowers blood sugar.) The problem is that alcohol is metabolized preferentially over food, so if you drink too much it slows down your metabolism, sort of negative exercise!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It really does depend on what - and how much - you drink. (A friend of mine who is type 1 Diabetic told me that dry white wine actually lowers blood sugar.) The problem is that alcohol is metabolized preferentially over food, so if you drink too much it slows down your metabolism, sort of negative exercise!
    It does not slow down your metabolism, that's ridiculous. It processes the alcohol first, then the food after, sure, but your liver is processing the alcohol while your food is still digesting in your stomach. It has no effect on metabolism, because your metabolism isn't determined based on the order that your body digests nutrients...
  • sportjunky578
    sportjunky578 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love craft beers and they are high in calories but I love to exercise too so I would never give up booze! it makes life Fun!!