losing weight/fat

Options
Currently my calorie intake is 1500 per day. I go to the gym 5 times a week and I don't think I'm seeing anymore results as I did in the past.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    u1rcm7s0ecot.jpg

H/T to @lemonlionheart for making this
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Need more info. Height, weight, how long you haven't been seeing results, etc.
  • pieshin118
    pieshin118 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    5'5 158lbs. I lost 8lbs within 2 weeks now just dragging...
  • malibu927
    Options
    The first two weeks is a lot of water weight. How long has it been since then? And how do you measure your food intake/burns from exercise/how many exercise calories do you eat back?
  • pieshin118
    Options
    2 weeks now. I use my digital scale
  • pieshin118
    Options
    I was told I can lose up to 1 lb a week if I cut my calorie intake down to 1500
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    pieshin118 wrote: »

I'm not sure who told you that, but that claim depends on your TDEE.
  • pieshin118
    Options

I'm not sure who told you that, but that claim depends on your TDEE.

Thanks
  • TrailBlazinMN
    TrailBlazinMN Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Geez. Only 1500 calories? Your BMR is probably 1500 calories. That's if you are just laying in bed doing nothing. If your not getting enough calories to support your metabolism, your fat loss will come to a halt. If you are working out 5 times a week, I would bump up your calories to 2000. Seriously, you are starving yourself at 1500.
  • pieshin118
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    The first two weeks is a lot of water weight. How long has it been since then? And how do you measure your food intake/burns from exercise/how many exercise calories do you eat back?

I was at 168 and dropped 8 lbs within the first two weeks. After that I haven't been seeing any more results
  • Datnigerian
    Datnigerian Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    @malibu927 The part in your graph about HRM is very interesting. I have been using my polar heartrate monitor when i weight train. I have a feeling you are right because on the polar app there is no choice to pick weight training as the focused activity am engaging in so i just choice other indoor. My question is if i can't track my calorie burn with a HRM while weight training how do i then know how many calories am burning?. I have a feeling that the answer is to focus on building muscle and not calorie burn. I noticed that even MFP only askes to track the sets of weight training exercises and not calories burned. I would appricoiate your further insight.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    @malibu927 The part in your graph about HRM is very interesting. I have been using my polar heartrate monitor when i weight train. I have a feeling you are right because on the polar app there is no choice to pick weight training as the focused activity am engaging in so i just choice other indoor. My question is if i can't track my calorie burn with a HRM while weight training how do i then know how many calories am burning?. I have a feeling that the answer is to focus on building muscle and not calorie burn. I noticed that even MFP only askes to track the sets of weight training exercises and not calories burned. I would appricoiate your further insight.

You really can't tell how many calories. There are a lot of variables which affect the calorie burn while strength training, and the burns are pretty small anyways.
  • pieshin118
    Options
    Geez. Only 1500 calories? Your BMR is probably 1500 calories. That's if you are just laying in bed doing nothing. If your not getting enough calories to support your metabolism, your fat loss will come to a halt. If you are working out 5 times a week, I would bump up your calories to 2000. Seriously, you are starving yourself at 1500.

Yeah my BMR is 1600. What about calorie deficits?
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    A deficit is what makes you lose weight... are you sure you've read the stickies?
  • malibu927
    Options

I didn't create the flowchart, @lemonlionheart did and many of us post it on her behalf. But that is true...HRMs are best used for steady state cardio. You can log strength training under cardio to get an estimate of what you burned, but that's all it is...MFP has no way to tell how heavy you lifted, how many sets/reps, how long your rest time was, etc. It's very difficult to pinpoint an exact amount of calories burned for lifting.
  • malibu927
    Options

Yeah my BMR is 1600. What about calorie deficits?

Set your goal to a pound a week and eat that amount plus 50-75% of your exercise calories. The deficit is already figured in, so there's no need to subtract anything.