Weight Fluctuations

Options
SME17
SME17 Posts: 13 Member
I'm sticking with the calorie counting (except for Sunday PM) and my physical exercise has definitely increased however, I find it really difficult to stay motivated when the scales go up? How often is everyone weighing in and what fluctuations do you see? I'm doing every morning (and recording the weekly average) and my weight can change by anything up to 1.5kg when it goes up but the losses are much less when they happen?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If the fluctuations bother you, drop to only doing it once a week or less. I do weigh every morning, but I look at the trend downward.

Also, you may want to log those Sundays...you could be completely negating your work for the week, which would also contribute to these fluctuations.
  • SME17
    Options
    Thanks. I don't go mad on a Sunday, I guess it's my treat meal but I think I could do better if I hadn't weighed myself in the morning. I definitely treat myself more if the weight is good.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I go up or remain stable during the week. My desk job causes some water retention. I also go up on the few days prior to TOM. During the weekends, and about three days after the start of TOM, I usually drop back down.

I would double the caution on Sunday, though you say you don't go mad. Even a small splurge of something high in salt can affect weight (although that would be water).
  • fish2find
    fish2find Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    On Thursday/Friday Im gold, I tend to go up 2 -4 pounds on the weekends and can usually knock that off with 1 or 2 more pounds by the next weekend.
    Ive lost 75 since December but still go up a lil every weekend and then back down ...
  • SME17
    Options
    I think I'm going to have to lay off the alcohol :-/ Good to know I'm not the only one though!
  • ActiveApril
    ActiveApril Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily (sometimes twice a day, if I'm curious to see how much water I lost after a run on a hot day) and see fluctuations of up to 5lbs in 1 day depending on what I ate the day prior and if I worked out or had alcohol. A lot of alcohol causes a drop the morning after and then a gain by the next day (dehydration and then water retention), a hard workout or higher than usual sodium can cause water retention gain the next morning. A few days before TOM I have come to expect just carrying a few extra lbs (and can expect to feel grumpy about it... lol) but it usually drops off a few days into it as long as I didn't pig out.
  • SME17
    Options
    I wondered why I weighed less after a night out!
  • woodhouse_j2
    woodhouse_j2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't like the idea of getting on the scales everyday, i stick to once a week every Saturday Morning. I have yet to see an increase in weight over a 10 week period i have had a couple of weeks where i have stayed the same but i am aware why that happened. I think getting weighed everyday seeing these fluctuations in weight would only make me over think things and what i have been doing wrong. Once a week is the right thing for me
  • CupcakeQueen86
    CupcakeQueen86 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself in the morning and im a nice weight, during the day I'm 2 pounds heavier. I weigh my self few times a day can't help It :s
  • Fitnessflexibility
    Fitnessflexibility Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat, that's what I tell myself. As long as my cloths keep fitting better I'm happy