Estimated time to reach your final goal weight

Options
Hi everyone, I was wondering if there is a way to find out the estimated time you will reach your final goal weight?

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    When you set up your account you specified a weekly weight loss goal in pounds or kilograms.
    Divide your total weight loss goal by the weekly weight loss goal to get an estimated number of weeks.
    For example, a person who wants to lose 25 pounds and sets a weekly weight loss goal of 0.5 pounds would reach their goal in approximately 50 weeks ( 25 / 0.5 = 50), provided he/she sustains the required deficit.
    Please see this article, and many other helpful articles, on the MFP Help pages...
    https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/493607-where-can-i-find-my-target-date-
  • amazinglyjae
    amazinglyjae Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If your goal is a loss of 1lb a week, and there are 4 weeks in a month, then multiply the amount of pounds by weeks. I personally want to lose 25lbs. The minimum amount of weight I want to lose is .5lbs a week. I'm giving myself a maximum of 12months to lose that because that's 2lbs a month. If I go over or under...well then, I'll just continue or maintain. That's exactly what any app will do for you.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Not for me. Every calculator was wrong. I just take it as it comes.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sure. Sort of. I mean, as an estimate.

52 weeks in a year means that if you have a lot of weight to lose, you could lose 100 lbs, give or take, in a year, healthily.

It may go quicker than 2 lbs a week at first if you are overweight enough. But it also will slow down as you get closer to goal. Maybe 1 lb a week once you get closer to a "healthy" (according to BMI) weight. And if you're trying to get quite slim, it can slow to 0.5 lb or less a week.

Plus, adherence is a factor. You may need a break. You may eat more at holidays. And that's fine! Don't go crazy, or too strict, or start hating your life. But that affects the estimate. Plan a bit for imperfection, because people aren't perfect.

So for 116 lbs, I am thinking:

Earliest: (If your goal weight isn't too low, and if you really never take any breaks, are meticulous with logging, etc) --> Late summer 2016.

Realistic: (Especially if your end goal is quite slim, like low end of healthy range.) More like mid 2017.

So 1-2 years. A lot of the second year would be spent considerably thinner though (like overweight or even healthy BMI range, depending on your goal).

And a good chunk could be gone by Christmas. Maybe another 50ish lbs, even if you're not perfect (56 lbs if you literally lost 2 more lbs every single remaining week of 2015), which could put you at 66 lbs down from where you were when you started, so don't get disheartened by the estimate. And you're not alone -- there are plenty of people on MFP doing this, with similar long-sounding timeframes. Remember to look at small victories along the way (like 20 lbs down, dropping a size, losing inches, progress showing in a photo, bending more easily or improving walking speed/time, etc).

*Edited to adjust a couple numbers.
  • justtjoy
    justtjoy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    my goal is xmas. that will be 45 lbs.
    that is about 1.5 lb. per week. right now i am trying for more short term goals.
  • justtjoy
    justtjoy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Good idea thanks
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Scooby's calculator has a graph, but you need to realize something: 116 pounds is hard enough without putting an end date on it. I've lost 61/70 and I am taking a diet break. You need to stop sometimes. Your body will TELL you to stop sometimes. Saying "I will lose _ by _" is a good way to get frustrated and burned out.

You absolutely can lose the weight, and probably within a reasonable time frame. But you will also have interruptions--stress, vacations, illnesses--that impact when you end this. The calculators and graphs are only good if you look at their end date as the earliest you will hit goal.