Sodium or not to sodium

Options
Does anyone have any idea as to how sodium can effect weight loss/gain. I'm leaning more towards the loss aspect.

Replies

• unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I don't know about weight, but too much is definitely bad for your blood pressure.
  • Tyscheff
    Tyscheff Posts: 21
    Options
    Sodium is an essential after a work-out. Why? Honestly, I don't know but I know that it is important, as well as some sugar and proteins. You should aim to keep your sodium to a max of 2200mg a day. Sodium = salt. Remember, if you add a lot of salt, it just taking away the purpose of a healthy food (vegetables, etc.)

Also, late night snacking is a big no no to losing weight. If you're going to have a late night snack, make it HEALTHY. Fruit, wheat crackers are OK too. Usually, just a glass or 2 of water can fill you up too!
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I believe sodium plays a big part in weight loss. I have just recently began really watchin my Na intake and have noticed a big different. I no longer feel bloated and have see the lbs drop off this time faster than ever before. Also it can really help in so many other health ways like lowering your blood pressure! I used to run about 150/90 all the time and after cutting down to 1/2 to 3/4 of the reccommended daily intake I was feeling really dizzy and almost fainted once, i took my pressure then (i'm a nurse so i have ease of access to instruments...lol) and it was 113/53. in the normal range for most but for me it was such a dramatic drop that my body took about a week to really get use to it.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Sodium causes water retention, making you weigh more. Just because you reduce sodium and weigh less, doesn't mean you lost any fat. Just take sodium within a health range.
  • Forensi
    Forensi Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've discovered recently after speaking with my fiancee who is studying pharmacy and experimenting with my diet a bit that the level of sodium in your diet plays a big part towards water retention and water weight. I have discovered that if you have for example 4000mg of sodium and drink no water it means that there a salts in your body but nothing to "dissolve" them so somehow (I don't know all the science) it plays a part in your body holding onto water. I discovered that one day I did no exercise and drunk no water and at higher sodium foods I put on 1.5kg of water weight. But the next day I drank about 15 glasses (8oz) of water and did a 2 hour run (19km) and by the next morning I had not only lost that 1.5kg but an additional .5kg of water weight. This proved my theory. I'm not saying don't eat sodium in your diet, I think it is important but just be careful not to eat too much as it will probably cause your body to hold onto water (bad water).
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Salt is a very necessary part of a healthy diet. But the quantities must be moderate and not in excess. Sodium or NaCl retains fluid and too much fluid caused by excessive salt will lead to high blood pressure. The natural corollary of this is the heightened risk of a heart attack and stroke. More than likely, you will feel more thirsty after eating processed food. This is caused by the high salt content. Some people confuse these signals of thirst with hunger and are more likely to ask for the additional burger. This results in weight gain, when you eat more food than you actually need.
    ~webmd.com
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Sodium or NaCl
    To be clear, sodium is NOT NaCl
    NaCl = Sodium Chloride = Table salt.

Varying amounts of sodium are added to food, but not always in the form of salt. Common food additives, such as baking soda, some preservatives, and monosodium glutamate (MSG), also contribute to the total amount of sodium we consume.
    http://www.healthyeatingclub.org/info/books-phds/books/foodfacts/html/data/data5a.html
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Sodium is an essential after a work-out. Why? Honestly, I don't know but I know that it is important, as well as some sugar and proteins. You should aim to keep your sodium to a max of 2200mg a day. Sodium = salt. Remember, if you add a lot of salt, it just taking away the purpose of a healthy food (vegetables, etc.)

Also, late night snacking is a big no no to losing weight. If you're going to have a late night snack, make it HEALTHY. Fruit, wheat crackers are OK too. Usually, just a glass or 2 of water can fill you up too!

this is fantastic advice and i have no idea who this guy is but he's very smart!!!

except i work out super late at night because of my schedule. i have a salt tooth and crave sodium but if i eat it late (after my work out) it blows the hole point of the workout. :( IE the drive thru!
  • Forensi
    Forensi Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anybody is overly interested. But I was reading up on this topic (Sodium intake and how Water can help) and I found someone recommending this book. Seems interesting.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Your-Bodys-Many-Cries-Water-Revolutionary-N-/300554612145?pt=AU_Non_Fiction_Books_2&hash=item45fa736db1
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I believe sodium plays a big part in weight loss. I have just recently began really watchin my Na intake and have noticed a big different. I no longer feel bloated and have see the lbs drop off this time faster than ever before. Also it can really help in so many other health ways like lowering your blood pressure! I used to run about 150/90 all the time and after cutting down to 1/2 to 3/4 of the reccommended daily intake I was feeling really dizzy and almost fainted once, i took my pressure then (i'm a nurse so i have ease of access to instruments...lol) and it was 113/53. in the normal range for most but for me it was such a dramatic drop that my body took about a week to really get use to it.

I was normally 120/80 before I stopped eating processed foods, which I thought was good enough. This week, though, I had it checked, and it was 111/62. I was shocked and also pretty happy about it.