Trying to eat better

Options
Crhan05
Crhan05 Posts: 1,608 Member
I'm trying to eat better and exercise more but at the end of the work day I'm so tired and fast food seems to be easy and I don't exercise too much. So I need more motivation to keep going.
Thanks

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Do you have a slow cooker and/or weekends off?

A slow cooker with a timer could be your new best friend - toss all the ingredients inside in the morning, set it to cook for however long and then keep warm the rest of the day and you'll have something yummy to eat as soon as you get home.

I have weekends off and cook at least 1 thing each weekend, which gives me between 4-6 servings of whatever it is. I'll portion it out, freeze most of it & leave 1 serving in the fridge so I have it. Some of the stuff I freeze I can reheat right from the freezer; others I need to let thaw, first. The batch cooking means I have cut down on my fast food consumption a lot and only go out if I have a craving for something in particular :)

~Lyssa
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Congrats on trying. Fast food doesn't have to be bad for you. McDonalds has a decent grilled chicken salad that makes for a <400 cal meal with the balsamic dressing and water/unsweet tea. It makes a decent choice when I have been out and about and don't feel like cooking.

Other places have choices that won't wreck you either. You can rely on the calories posted a bit more since the chains are more consistent in portion control. It's not ideal, but you can do pretty well.
  • Crhan05
    Options
    Thank you for the advice! I do have a crock pot. I will start doing that. It's a lot easier! So glad you reminded of that.
  • Crhan05
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Congrats on trying. Fast food doesn't have to be bad for you. McDonalds has a decent grilled chicken salad that makes for a <400 cal meal with the balsamic dressing and water/unsweet tea. It makes a decent choice when I have been out and about and don't feel like cooking.

Other places have choices that won't wreck you either. You can rely on the calories posted a bit more since the chains are more consistent in portion control. It's not ideal, but you can do pretty well.

Thank you! I didn't realize that. I appreciate it!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Crhan05 wrote: »
    Thank you for the advice! I do have a crock pot. I will start doing that. It's a lot easier! So glad you reminded of that.

I've only used mine once so far - I made lentil and black bean chili. It's really yummy! I made my portions too big so they're tough to reheat but that's my only issue with it so far.

Many people will do things like slow cook a whole chicken and shred it, among other things....I would definitely recommend searching for recipes, finding something that sounds yummy, and going for it! I'm sticking with simple things so far but I've had good success. I usually shop one day and cook the next.

One day each week I'll bake a chicken breast and roast some veggies and the others I'll grab one of my frozen meals. Doing meal prep like this has really helped me feel less stressed out and eat more nutritiously overall.

~Lyssa
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Some people also stock some Lean Cuisines or Smart Ones in their freezers for those nights you just can't handle anything more than microwaving. Might be another option for you.
  • Crhan05
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Some people also stock some Lean Cuisines or Smart Ones in their freezers for those nights you just can't handle anything more than microwaving. Might be another option for you.

Oh yeah. Good idea! Thanks
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Starting by making small changes can often work.

For exercise when I started I just planned to walk a certain amount during the day and to ride the stationary bike on a lighter setting 30 minutes 3 days a week, so I wouldn't burn out. As I got used to it I increased the intensity/time and added in other kinds of exercise. But making it easy like that made it something I could make myself do until the habit got established. It also REALLY helped me to either do the workout earlier in the day (before work or at lunch) or before I went home. If I waited until after work when I got home, I was less likely to do it.

For eating it's a matter of making it easy for yourself. If there are meals you can whip up quickly, make sure you have the ingredients on hand and get yourself excited about doing it--think of how good it will taste or listening to music when cooking or whatever might motivate you. Also maybe start by doing it a couple days a week and then expand.

I also really like the idea of having a premade meal you can just heat up. I tend to make double meals so I can have leftovers for days I get home especially late. I also tend to get home late a lot and the fact that I have cooking from the ingredients I have at home well-established makes this easier, but transitioning into the habit so you just routinely cook no matter what can be challenging. (My old standby was "I'm tired, I'll order Indian.") Having some acceptable to you (calories, nutrition) quick meals to heat up is also a good idea, as others have suggested, and then maybe phasing them out so you do it on fewer nights (but having backups is never a bad idea).
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    When I'm desperate for a good plate of food and can't think of what to make, I do a "cold platter." Nuts, string cheese, apple wedges, pretzels, carrots & hummus... you get the idea. (If you eat meat, you could throw some pepperoni slices or deli meat on). Fast, simple, done.
  • Crhan05
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Starting by making small changes can often work.

For exercise when I started I just planned to walk a certain amount during the day and to ride the stationary bike on a lighter setting 30 minutes 3 days a week, so I wouldn't burn out. As I got used to it I increased the intensity/time and added in other kinds of exercise. But making it easy like that made it something I could make myself do until the habit got established. It also REALLY helped me to either do the workout earlier in the day (before work or at lunch) or before I went home. If I waited until after work when I got home, I was less likely to do it.

For eating it's a matter of making it easy for yourself. If there are meals you can whip up quickly, make sure you have the ingredients on hand and get yourself excited about doing it--think of how good it will taste or listening to music when cooking or whatever might motivate you. Also maybe start by doing it a couple days a week and then expand.

I also really like the idea of having a premade meal you can just heat up. I tend to make double meals so I can have leftovers for days I get home especially late. I also tend to get home late a lot and the fact that I have cooking from the ingredients I have at home well-established makes this easier, but transitioning into the habit so you just routinely cook no matter what can be challenging. (My old standby was "I'm tired, I'll order Indian.") Having some acceptable to you (calories, nutrition) quick meals to heat up is also a good idea, as others have suggested, and then maybe phasing them out so you do it on fewer nights (but having backups is never a bad idea).

Thank you!!!!
  • Crhan05
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    When I'm desperate for a good plate of food and can't think of what to make, I do a "cold platter." Nuts, string cheese, apple wedges, pretzels, carrots & hummus... you get the idea. (If you eat meat, you could throw some pepperoni slices or deli meat on). Fast, simple, done.

Great idea! Thank you!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Try meal prepping before work.
  • 2sexy41
    2sexy41 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Crhan05 wrote: »
    I'm trying to eat better and exercise more but at the end of the work day I'm so tired and fast food seems to be easy and I don't exercise too much. So I need more motivation to keep going.
    Thanks

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Look at the time spent cooking as extra activity also. Put some music on and it can be an enjoyable experience. Put in the effort and you will reap the rewards.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    reconsider what a dinner is. Cereal and milk can be dinner. A sandwich can be dinner.
    No need to do the drive thru if you dont want to.

That being said, most fast food places have a dollar menu chicken sandwich, and ordered sans mayo, it can fit into the tightest calorie allowance. Just watch the fries and pop if you have a tight calorie budget.

edited to add- I am lazy. so take that into consideration.
  • 2sexy41
    2sexy41 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this but I'm in the same position and I understand exactly what you're saying about the end of a work day....

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    On a day off, make a big batch of something you like and freeze it in individual containers. Move one from the freezer to the fridge a day or two before you work and then pop it in the microwave when you get home. It controls your portions and is easy to do after a long day.

Keep a well-stocked house, so you have things you like on hand and can make yourself a sandwich, salad or plate of fruit.

Once you change your habits, you'll get used to doing things the new way and it'll seem like normal. It's worth the adjustment!!