Stay at Home Mom Needs Motivated

Options
egrote2015
egrote2015 Posts: 4 Member
edited June 2015 in Introduce Yourself
I am a FT Stay at Home Mom of 3, Stepmom of 3 more. Our kiddos range from 5months to 15. I am constantly cleaning and chasing or running a child somewhere...school, ball practice/games & back and forth to BM's house.

After having our last daughter in January, I have been stuck at around 180-190.

I have found that I can watch what I eat and make better, healthier choices when choosing foods to buy and stock at home....BUT I CAN'T STAY MOTIVATED TO WORK OUT!!! I NEED HELP! ADVICE PLEASE???

There are no local gyms except the Y that have a daycare in house PLUS our Y is 30 minutes away from home & cashflow is low.

I need something that I can do here at home with the kids.

Replies

• biancawild
    biancawild Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Look up Beach Body Mommy on YouTube or Facebook. She has a ton of free workout videos you can do at home. She does 90 day challenges that you can start at any time.
  • biancawild
    Options
    Oh and the videos do not take long to do!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Check out Fitnessblender.com. Tons of free workouts (cardio, weights, etc.) Workouts range from 10 minutes to 90 minutes.

Just remember exercise is 20%of weight loss. Diet is the other 80%. Weigh and log everything!

Sending FR for support!! You can do this!!
  • biancawild
    Options
    Ooops! Not Beach Body Mommy!
    Bikini Body Mommy.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I'm a sahm of 4 doing it at home too.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Welcome, you don't a gym to get fit. As many shared lots of free vids out there on the Net. Youtube etc..

Enjoy the workouts... just commit and if you feel you need to do it in 15 minute increments for a bit...so be it. You'll gain confidence and motivation to add more as you see the weight drop off and the energy ramp up :)

Fitness and food planning.. treat them like you would a job.
    Commit to them and see if you can have a set schedule for doing both.. Seems to work for many that way.
  • lorielynrances
    lorielynrances Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi. Im a stay at hime mom too. Just started loosing weight. Since i dont have time for workouts coz my sons keeping looking for me when im out of his sight. Lol... at first I jog around 30 min. I woke up early just to jog and making use of the time when my son is still asleep. Now that it's school days here in philippines, i dont have that time anymore coz i need to prepare foods for breakfast and snacks. What i did is i do zumba daily 15 min, 20 min,or 1 hour if i have more time...
  • Goooosfraba333
    Goooosfraba333 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    How many kids do you have at home with you that can't be watches by an older sibling? Go for walks with the littlest ones...I put my two year old in a stroller and carry my four month old in the Moby wrap. Doesn't take much to burn calories that way!
  • egrote2015
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.
    @ Goose, I usually only have the two littlest ones (6mo & 4y). For the summer I am also watching my Godsons (9 & 11). I need to do this.

I also just did 2x the Military Diet while working out and running everyday and didn't lose a single pound??
  • cathipa
    Options
    Make sure you are logging EVERYTHING you eat/drink. Also weigh your food (cups and spoons are typically incorrect). I looked up the Military Diet and it seems really restrictive which is truly unnecessary. I recommend figuring out your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and subtract 20% from this number. This is a good calculator. If you need any help I've tried just about every diet plan out there and figured none of them really work. Its more about CICO (calories in calories out) and being truthful with logging. Have a great day!
  • egrote2015
    Options
    Even with working out and running daily, I'm not losing.... It's all cardio....logging everything is easy, I don't have a problem there. It's very disappointing
  • cathipa
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Have you tried adding resistance training? I used to be a cardio junkie and the scale wouldn't budge. I added weights in January and now I rarely do cardio and I've lost more weight and improved my composition than ever before.

OK so logging food isn't an issue. What are you eating? If your diet it high in processed or fast foods that also means a lot of sodium which can contribute to water weight. Try to eat around the parameter of the grocery store. Try to make more meals at home so you know what is in the foods you are eating. Drink at least 9 cups of water a day.

What is your daily calorie goal? You may not be eating enough which is why I recommend figuring out the TDEE -20%. I've done the 1200 calories a day and even with exercise the weight would not budge. This is because even for most adults (unless you are very short) is too low. There are plenty of articles on MFP (search sexy pants) that explain it in more detail, but if you set your goal to lose 2 lbs a week this is why MFP gave you the 1200 calories a day. Sure we all would like the weight to fly right off, but unless you are obese this is probably going to initially happen then stall.

Also the scale lies. It changes from the time you wake until the time you go to bed. I can fluctuate within 24 hours 3 lbs depending on what I did the day before. Pictures and your clothes are better indicators of weight loss or recomposition. I was wearing a size 12 last January and I'm now 25 lbs lighter and I can fit into a size 4 comfortably. My best advice is to ditch the scale. Yes it is a hard one to do, but if you don't ditch it all together then only weigh yourself once a week to every 2 weeks.

Weight loss is frustrating and figuring out how to lose is even more so. I hope some of this helps.
  • egrote2015
    Options
    I ran TDEE and it said over 1600 whereas MFP of course gives 1200...resistance training for me is almost out of the question since I'm home with the kids all day. My fiancé started working a new job, leaving at 4 in the morning, so I've moved my regular workout up earlier. It's been to hot or raining to run with the stroller and the baby...

I slipped some last week and this week traveling and eating fast food on the road, but I split my sandwich and ate some when I bought it and some later...

Like my fiancé says "You're the one that cooks around here so cook whatever you want and anyway you want to"...I switched to coconut oil as a replacement and feel better, but still nothing