How Much Attention Do You Pay To Sugar?

Options
Hello!

I was reading someone else's food diary and noticed they had different setting than I. I went in to change mine to match this individuals and realized that just by eating breakfast, I've almost eaten all the sugar I'm supposed to for the day.

The sugar that I ate today came from my plain yogurt as well as Musli that has a little tub of honey added. If the sugar isn't Corn Syrup, do you really pay attention?

Replies

• sarah_boombah
    sarah_boombah Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Exact same thing is happening to me - my sugar is always out / nearly out by having cereal with yoghurt. :S
  • rachypompa
    rachypompa Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with the sugar for a while now. I try to keep it down, but always go over. I have to say I used to double it, and now go about 20% over ... I think it's ok if it's natural, my hubby is in the sugar is poison camp and he usually stays below the guidelines ...
  • remaho80
    remaho80 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I always seem to go over on my sugar. If it's natural (apples, oranges, etc), I don't give a second thought to going over. If it's processed sugar...well...I feel guilty about that! I try to keep processed stuff to a minimum.
  • Quieas
    Quieas Posts: 23
    Options
    Thank you all!

I peeked at my food diary and it seems that all the other days I have been well under my sugar intake. If I go over today, it certainly should not kill me too quickly. :laugh:

I suppose I'll have to just not eat yogurt every morning. I really am trying to keep everything that needs to be low, relatively low.
  • bluellies
    bluellies Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Just checked mine, and I seem to waffle between 20 over and almost 50 over. My total carbs are in check, and until I hit a plateau I'm good. If I worry about staying within goal on everything I get overwhelmed, discouraged, and stop. This is the best I've ever done dieting, and I pay attention to fat, cal, carbs, and fiber always, then switch up from calcium, iron, and sodiium every few days.
  • deemh
    deemh Posts: 14
    Options
    a lot of programs will tell that Sugar is a massive problem for weight loss. When i watched Thintervention with Jackie Warner, her advise is that Sugar is the biggest reason people put on weight and so she made the contestants go through their cupboards and anything that had more that 5g of Sugar was thrown out. this is something i have tried to implement in my own eating habbits and it will surprise you just how much sugar is in things you wouldnt expect! i definitely believe it is something to be keeping a close eye on... many nutritionists believe most people are Sugar Addicts!!!
  • yiffanarff
    yiffanarff Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I don't worry too much about my sugar intake, as long as it's from healthy sources. My first day on here, I think I went 6 grams over, and I freaked out, until I realized that everything that I ate was really low in sugar, except for 1 apple, which had about 25 grams. Now, that's a good reason to limit fruit intake, however, I think there's a big difference if you're going over on sugar because of processed foods and pastries, and going over because you ate an apple.
  • cicadagirl
    cicadagirl Posts: 51
    Options
    I used to track sugar, but when throwing 1/4 cup of organic all-natural dried fruit (no sugar added!) into my salad threw me over my sugar allowance in one meal, I stopped. Most of the sugar in my diet comes from natural sources like fruit, which I don't consider to be unhealthy regardless of what MFP's sugar numbers claim. I avoid HFCS as much as possible, and while I do occasionally have a small piece of chocolate, it's never enough that I even feel guilty about it, ha!