depo shot

Options
2»

Replies

• agambli
    agambli Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    And I wasn't planning on getting the depo shot when I was at my appointment it just happened.
  • Jhillian
    Jhillian Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've been on depo so far a total of 8 years. 4 years from age 12-16 due to period issues.. then went off but got pregnant while on pills as I hate them and never took them at 19.. so was off depo from 19-23 as I had 3 kids (big babies) so I went up 20 lbs.. then went back on depo from 23-27 so far and I plan to stay on it another 3 years. And i have lost 16lbs before with no problems in about 2 1/2 months.. I'm back up 20lbs but it's because I like food not because of the depo. If I put my mind to it I could lose I just choose to try and stay healthy where I am. I'm not seriously overweight if I lost 5 lbs I would be a healthy weight. But all the years before when I was younger and on it never did I ever gain weight. I was always a perfect weight for my age.. only reason I'm going off of it after 7 or 8 years is my doc recommends doing that to give the body a break only thing I really need to think about is possible osteoporosis so I make sure I get lots of calcium :)
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I got one depo shot to stop my period for a while to sort out another issue. After the shot I noticed an IMMEDIATE increase in appetite urgency/frequency and a huge sensitivity to sugar. (A single cookie left me with a pounding headache and sugar crash in half an hour.) I could see how people might gain weight if they didn't know how to respond to that kind of over-night change. YMMV, based on your personal sensitivity level to various hormones.
  • BeckyD1105
    BeckyD1105 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I've been on depo for quite a few years and can echo a few things other people have said. It does seem that I have to watch more how much/how often I eat when I'm trying to lose weight. It's almost like sometimes the signal as to being full just doesn't sound so sometimes it is just saying - ok you've eaten enough. I'll also agree that over the 1st 2 months of each shot it is easier to lose weight than that 3rd month. I do usually hit a small period of time during that first month - maybe a week or two - where I can drop weight really well. The 3rd month there tends to be a lot of bouncing around in weight and seems easier to gain weight in general even if I eat the same that I eat the 1st 2 months.

I also do echo that extra calcium is needed in your diet. Long term use can leach calcium out of your bones. To combat this my dr started doing a bone density scan every 2 years, I make sure to get a good amount of calcium between diet and supplements, I take a d vitamin to aid in absorption of the calcium and weight bearing exercise is important as well. I
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!