What's an active job ? Steps?

Options
Just a quick post I think I'm quite active job wise (heating engineer/fitter) and family (4 kids) average around 14k to 18k steps a day.... What is active ??? And what do you normally record on your tracker ?

Replies

• ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I've averaged 10600 for over 2 years, with several days with over 20000 steps. if you're averaging that many steps that would be active. From your job description, I would figure you're up and down stairs/ladders all day, probably not getting to sit for long periods.

https://www.humana.com/learning-center/health-and-wellbeing/healthy-living/walking-for-health
  • mscrystallee
    mscrystallee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    As someone who works in a hospital but I sit some of the day, other times bouncing around the place without additional exercise I do about 9k-13k depending on the day and then with an additional couple miles on a trail I can hit 15, but I average 11k in a normal day. While it is active remember if your body does it daily it doesn't treat it as being active, you still need to go above your normal daily activity level to really get your body thinking and working. Some nurse friends of mine on an average day look about 20k plus steps per day...
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Although I no longer track. Back when I did I had my tracker set for active on my work days for doing 15,000 to 18,000 steps.
  • Batgirl2292
    Batgirl2292 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I work as a housekeeper for a hospital. Depending on the shift....Night shift I only get close to 10,000 steps. On day shift, I get close to 13,000 and on evening shift, I always hit AT LEAST 14,000 if I'm doing the bare minimum. :)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    My 10,000 steps don't count for many "active calories burned" according to my fitness tracker. And I hit that most days. I just walk around on campus to meetings. Carrying a laptop and water. Not many stairs, not lifting heavy things or climbing. I have my job listed as sedentary. :neutral:
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I don't get a positive shift with my sedentary setting until I hit more than 6k steps. Other people get that with lightly active. I don't pretend to know why. Maybe my weight?
  • quinnyplh
    quinnyplh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    So general consensus is its active?

Yeah I'm up and down ladders, stairs in attics... Back and to to van...

I'm one of them people who literally can lose a stone in a week or two, but also put it on quick too!! The main reason I'm starting all this tracking food and steps etc is I'm the wrong side of thirty and want to reign it in before I get older.... In my twentys I wasn't too bothered but now I wanna get on top of what I'm putting in my body and getting out of it
  • quinnyplh
    quinnyplh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think so too thank you :)