Fellow moms help! -Birth control, weight and hormonal stuff post baby

Options
If this is in the wrong category, let me know. I'll move it. It's my first time posting...

I've had 3 kids in less than 4 years. I am 13 weeks post partum and while I don't have post partum depression (I've had it with one of my other kids), I do seem to have a hormonal imbalance. My PMS has been AWFUL. I'm pretty chill as a person but pms week literally throws me into a fit of rage, depressed, crying, can't stand my hubby, etc. My OB thinks the mini pill would help (I am breastfeeding). After my last baby my weight literally just fell off. No work needed. I lost all of the baby weight plus 8 pounds within 3 months. This time I gained the most weight (40 lbs). I lost 20 lbs the first 2 weeks post baby. Stayed there until he was about 8 weeks old then I did a juice cleanse because my guts were really bugging me and started working out and lost 10 lbs within a week (water weight I assume). I've stayed at that weight for the last 3-4 weeks, despite working out and I have 10-15 more pounds I'd like to lose before I start working at really building muscle. I'm eating healthy, drinking 60-90 oz of water a day, and I work out when time allows (typically 3-5 days a week) and I do a full body work out. I also run 20-30 mins on the days that my kids allow. Still no budge in weight loss. I'm losing mass in my arms, legs, hips, face, etc…but nothing at all in my middle. Nothing. Not a single inch, centimeter, nothing. And my weight is staying the same.
I have 2 questions:
-Those of you who've tried out the mini pill: Did it affect your weight loss? I've been on the combo pill in the past and always gained 15 pounds within a month of being on it and stayed at that weight. Since the mini pill is progesterone based and I've never been on it, I'm not sure what to expect and I'm really not wanting to have to battle my weight again. Also, how has it affect your moods and cycles?
- What can I do to help lose the weight in my middle? Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• kbwilson76
    kbwilson76 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the baby!

Try getting Mirena (iud). I have one, and there was no weight gain, plus it controlled my crazy periods compliments of polycystic ovarian syndrome (I blame child birth and Depo shots). The first 4mths are pretty rough (pain wise, felt like the few hours of labor...not sure you're in labor but something was off), but worth it.

You could also have your dr check your stomach for (don't know the term, but it's when the stomach muscle splits). My friend had it and she would lose tons of weight, but her tummy would always stay. Her guilty secret was a tummy tuck and spanx before.

I spoke to my trainer yesterday that my clothes are looser, but the weight hasn't changed, but my body is getting toner. He said the muscle weighs the same as pounds, and not to worry about. It will work itself out in a month or so.

For now just give that baby lots of kisses and keep doing what your doing. It'll work itself out.
  • Jasmunr
    Jasmunr Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy, drinking water, and exercising aren't going to help you lose weight if you aren't eating a calorie deficit.

Your tummy is going to take some time to change its shape. Some pregnancies take longer than others. Mine took about 5 months to debloat despite losing weight.

Also I've heard, and I could be 100% wrong on this so please someone correct me if I am, that if you are breastfeeding your body will sometimes hold on to the last 10 pounds of pregnancy weight. I've heard a lot of people don't lose it until baby weans but again not sure if it's true.

As for the BC I'm not sure. If it's the mini pill there's no harm in trying. You can always stop it if it's not helping
  • MrsPotStirerLoL
    MrsPotStirerLoL Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    ^^ Yes breastfeeding can make you hold onto those last few pounds. It happened to me with all my pregnancies. I never truly lose all the weight until I wean. I also notice a decrease an appetite when I wean as well which is probably helps!
  • DaniL_Phen14
    DaniL_Phen14 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I've talked with my OB about different forms of birth control and she thinks I'd benefit most from the mini pill. I have had a lot of trouble with birth control in the past and am terrified to do anything but am willing to try the mini pill if it might help…I'm just scared of the weight I might gain.
    I talked with my husband about getting a tummy tuck and he acts like he'd be ok with it…he's away a lot though and my kids are so young, I'd have to wait until they are older. I have had diastasis recti but it seems to have healed itself for the most part. There is only 1 finger gap in there now and I think it's an issue if you have more than 2?

I have boy, girl, boy and my first took me forever to get back into shape. My daughter was so easy…the weight just melted off within 3 months post partum. This time, it's going about like my first and it's depressing.
    I've heard about the holding on to the last 10 pounds while nursing. I guess it could be true. It wasn't with my last, but I know bodies change a lot with each pregnancy.
    I try to keep myself below my caloric goal a day. I've added 500 calories to my goal since I'm nursing and this baby nurses a lot. Maybe that's too much? I've read that you burn 300-800 a day. He nurses more than my last by far so I would think I'm making more milk and burning more calories with that.