Eating Out

Options
I am going to my mother-in-law's house for Father's day dinner. I know myself, I am all pumped to having a small portion of her delicious lasagna and everything else she is making but as soon as I taste it, I'll reach over and get a second helping. I know in the end I will feel horrible about myself and start calling myself horrible names but I'll go in a zone and overeat, especially because I have been craving pasta. Any pointers on keeping your self-control and not letting anyone else get in your head?

Replies

• Lisa_in_Arlington
    Lisa_in_Arlington Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Arrive full not famished? Have a salad and drink a lot of water before you go. If they try to push a second helping (or any garlic bread at you) tell them NO. It may seem rude, but what is more important?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Don't overthink it. Even if you do go over your goal - so what? It's one day. Log it and move on.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Stop calling yourself horrible names for wanting to eat delicious lasagna, first of all.

Then, you have a decision. You can eat at a deficit for the day, you can eat at maintenance for the day, or you can bank some calories during the week which can either put you in your goal deficit, or maybe one less aggressive.

Trust me, I understand what it is like to think about food and get anxious. But once you understand these choices, it's easier to relax and enjoy your meal.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    lmiesner31 wrote: »
    I am going to my mother-in-law's house for Father's day dinner. I know myself, I am all pumped to having a small portion of her delicious lasagna and everything else she is making but as soon as I taste it, I'll reach over and get a second helping. I know in the end I will feel horrible about myself and start calling myself horrible names but I'll go in a zone and overeat, especially because I have been craving pasta. Any pointers on keeping your self-control and not letting anyone else get in your head?

this leads me to believe that you are just way too restrictive during your regular week. pasta is good and healthy and can be part of a regular diet!

but for today, just factor into your diary that you will eat two pieces lasagna. try and space them out, and have some healthy sides as well.
  • lmiesner31
    lmiesner31 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    lmiesner31 wrote: »

this leads me to believe that you are just way too restrictive during your regular week. pasta is good and healthy and can be part of a regular diet!

but for today, just factor into your diary that you will eat two pieces lasagna. try and space them out, and have some healthy sides as well.

Normally I am not so restrictive. I just came back from vacation in which I happily indulged and came back without gaining weight (woohoo)! But I am trying to lose about 10 pounds by the end of the summer and then another 5-10 by my anniversary in October. I gained 40 lbs since my wedding (I lost 30 lbs before my wedding) and I am trying to get back to a healthier weight.

I will take all your advise. I worked out today, normally Sunday is my rest day besides a nice walk or bike ride with my hubby or dog. I ate a small salad so I am not starving and I now excited for a little lasagna and I WILL have the willpower to not over indulge. After, my hubby and I will take the dog for a walk to help digest a bit.