Fitbit help..

Options
mnec2010
mnec2010 Posts: 132 Member
Hey everyone... I recently got a fitbit flex and I love it but I'm still trying to work out a couple kinks.. I'm confused about the following

- my fitness pal and my fitbit says two different calorie counts. Even though they are synced... For example yesterday I had 200 Cal's left according to my fitness pal. But my fitbit app said I was over. What am I missing?

- my fitness pal takes my steps and concerts them to exercise calories therefore adding more to my daily amount. Should I be eating these back?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• mattjft
    mattjft Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day your mfp and fitbit calorie counts should even out. The fitbit is constantly changing based on your activity and your mfp one is only changing when the fitbit syncs and there for adding or subtracting calories based on your steps.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ignore your Fitbit calorie goal & follow MFP's, eating back your adjustments.

If (and only if) you enable negative adjustments, eating back your adjustments means you're eating TDEE minus deficit: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Do not log any step-based activity—your Fitbit is tracking it for you. Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) either in Fitbit (that's what I do) or in MFP—never both. Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn during that time.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • mnec2010
    mnec2010 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    @editorgrrl ok I just emailed able negative calorie adjustments. So at the end of the day am I aiming for zero? I'm looking to lose and not maintain. How do I disable my fitbit from syncing my step calories to my fitness pal?
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Your deficit is built into your calorie goal, so you're aiming for zero.

There are only two ways to disable adjustments: disconnect your accounts, or pay for MFP premium.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The only way you can disable them is to either purchase MFP Premium, where they wouldn't get added in, or to disconnect your Fitbit from MFP. As she said, the goal it gives you is your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure, which is everything you burn) minus your deficit. Not eating those calories back, especially if you're set to sedentary and walk a lot, could possibly lead to lack of nutrition and health problems.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the calories necessary to maintain your current weight. If you eat at a reasonable deficit from that (250 calories for every 25 lbs. you're overweight), you will lose weight.

Trust your Fitbit for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress. I was shocked by my Fitbit adjustments, but I lost the weight & have maintained for a year.