Weight lose and back pain.

Options
After Losing weight I now suffer some mild back pain when walking or during exercise. It feels like muscular pain. Middle left area. I never had this when I was overweight. Could it be my changing body shape.. Thanks.

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    How long has the pain been happening?
  • sars388
    sars388 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Since I lost a stone maybe. Maybe it was always there but didn't walk or excersise long enough for it to show its self.,thought it could be because my posture is changing. Thanks for the reply.
  • jenniferzlangkjaer
    jenniferzlangkjaer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am no doctor, but can share my experience. I used to have back pain which was diagnosed as a being caused by deterioration in my lower disks. I went to physical therapy, took masses of ibuprofen, etc., but nothing really helped. Since the initial diagnosis, I have gained 40 lbs, and the pain has disappeared. I think it is for the same reason you mentioned. Now that I am trying to take off the weight, I guess I will see if the pain comes back.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    If it's muscle pain, can you feel a knot there? You might have just pulled something. Try looking up child's pose (that will stretch out the muscles in that area), applying a heating pad, and some paracetamol. If you can't feel a knot, it's probably not muscle pain and you should see a doctor.

As for what the previous poster said, I have both cervical and lumbar disc degeneration. Losing weight and exercising have both helped the pain.
  • sars388
    Options
    Hi thanks for the replies.. I've had a look at that child pose but to be honest I'm not sure I could get into or even get myself up from that position..
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I don't want to tempt fate, but my back pain is totally gone since I've lost my weight.
  • sars388
    Options
    I don't want to tempt fate, but my back pain is totally gone since I've lost my weight.
    Hey glad to hear that.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I have lower back pain and leg pain often since Ive lost weight even on days I dont exercise. some days its worse than others though. when I was overweight(still am by 10lbs) I didnt seem to have those issues as often.I dont know the reasons either,I have told my drs but they find nothing wrong.good luck hope you figure out what is causing it
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Possibly some good advice in this article:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/303817-back-pain-losing-weight/

Prevention/Solution: Determining the type of back pain is the first step in diminishing it. For structural problems such as spinal deviations, improving muscular strength in your supporting muscles such as your abdomen and lower back improves alignment. Correcting improper form when exercising, lifting and carrying helps reduce pain from improper body mechanics and movement. Replacing reduced body fat with increased muscle mass will provide a cushion for sitting on hard surfaces.
  • wreckzrainer131
    wreckzrainer131 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I had lost 20 pounds when my back started hurting at the beach. Five days later I was getting the kids clothes out of the dryer and it went out completely. Never happened to me before or since. Worst pain I've ever experienced. I almost had to have my father in law hold me up while I was using the bathroom! Instead it took me 30 minutes just to accomplish it. Two weeks later I was a lot better but I still think about it everyday. Start laying flat on the ground and slowly bringing your knees to your chest. Loosens your hamstrings. Make sure you use your knees when bending over! I now stretch twice a day focusing on my back. Good luck
  • gtmfitness
    gtmfitness Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Practice hip or back bridging. That helped my lower back pain! Especially for sitting for a good part of the day.
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I watched a great TED talk on youtube. Look for Eric Goodman. I watched the talk and did the exercises, helped my back. Good luck.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I developed serious back pain a few years ago and was referred to a physical therapist. She gave me core strengthening exercises that have effectively eliminated the pain as long as I do them a few times a week. Losing weight also helped.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I thought I had a muscle cramp on one side and it turned out to be a kidney stone...
  • sars388
    Options
    I thought I had a muscle cramp on one side and it turned out to be a kidney stone...

Ok thanks.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    sars388 wrote: »
    Since I lost a stone maybe. Maybe it was always there but didn't walk or excersise long enough for it to show its self.,thought it could be because my posture is changing. Thanks for the reply.

You're welcome. I hope you find the answer and solution to your back pain. I'd try seeing a physiotherapist if it worries you a lot.

I'm like Tex in that my back with "mild degeneration" has been excellent since I started losing weight a couple of months ago and doing more walking and flexing/core exercises.

However, this morning I scootched up in bed at an odd angle sitting up and pulled a muscle. Darn it! It should be fine in a day or two, having done a couple of gentle walks and rested in bed today. At least it's not in the old familiar place it used to always hurt.

You could have just moved in a bad position instead of it being your weight loss. Silly backs are silly. Good luck!
  • tomnev1
    tomnev1 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor but generally they say that exercise and weight reduction lowers stress on your back as your carrying around more weight. I have back pain, but it's no worse wince I lost weight, in fact it's slightly better. Infact if there was no significant trauma (sports injury, car crash, etc) it may just be inflamation.

Not sure of your medical insurance etc, but if your doc says it's just inflamation, you may get a course of drugs anti-flamatories, muscle relaxants and pain relief - this is known as the orthopedic cocktail. If he says so, you may need an MRI.

But before you get that far, sign up for a pilates class, buy Men's Health or Men's Fitness, and "develop your core".
  • rachel53223
    rachel53223 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Back pain is terrible -- I have had the full out cannot move pains where it takes you 45 minutes to slowly and painfully role out of bed, and I have had the discomfort pain throughout the day from a sit down job. The best thing I found was yoga. Rodney Yee has one called Back Care yoga for beginners. When I start to feel my back hurt I do this and it really does help.
    I suggest you will have to find out what you pain is from.. because you have lots of different/good examples here of things it could be! Good Luck!