Never feel full.

Options
I can eat and eat and eat. I know I'm full, but that doesn't matter. When I binge it goes on for hours. Very ugly. Does anyone else do this?

Replies

• forbiddendonut
    forbiddendonut Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I do! I don't have a good solution, though. Eating lots of veggies helps to fill me up some. Exercising regularly helps a little bit, too, because I'm more motivated to eat healthy, so that I don't negate my workout. I still binge, though. Mostly on sweets.
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. Most of us have this issue. We have to deal with this by behavioral strategies. I weigh the appropriate amount of food in the kitchen, and eat it in the dining room. By doing this, I don't have access to the extra servings of food to binge on. I usually keep some calories for two pieces of Hershey's Dark chocolate almond to suppress my appetite.
  • reeves45
    reeves45 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thx. Will use that strategy.
  • Kathy379
    Kathy379 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yes I have this issue too. I feel ravenous most of the time. I try to drink more water when I get the urge to eat. Or grab a granola bar rather than chips etc. Sometimes having easy snacks ready to grab is helpful too, like chopped up veggies or pre-made chicken breast portions.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Smaller deficit and more balanced macros may help.
  • mrsjosephinehall
    mrsjosephinehall Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes, as above! I don't understand macros exactly but I understand the pie chart ( mmmmm pie!!) on here and when I'm close to matching the figures I do feel fuller for longer. Eating a low gi diet helps too. Secret eating is my downfall, when no one is watching, do the calories really count? YES! 43 year old Mum of 3 wanting to loose 50lbs. My name is Josephine, feel free to add me as a friend if you want.
  • gemmi33
    gemmi33 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'll eat a whole packed of biscuits and leave 2 in the bottom like I've done myself a favour!! Really
    I'm exposed .... Also a secret muncher lol
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Log it. Logging during a binge can stop me when I realize the day is still salvageable.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    If it's the end of the day and I feel like eating, I floss and brush my teeth. I find the mint taste satisfying and I don't want to floss twice in one night so this works for me.
  • BethClicks
    BethClicks Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    yes, I used to do this almost everyday. For me, this is one of my biggest acts of self harm. I've been on the road to recovery from this behavior for almost a year now. It's very complex and difficult to simply slap a bandaid on. I combat the urge daily.
    The strategies that have worked for me have been eating a diet high in satisfying healthy fats and minimally processed food, not allowing myself to get to the point of hungry where I want to cram everything into my gob, exercising everyday as a form of loving self care and maybe the biggest one: Allowing myself to sit with the urge and try to untangle what triggered it. Try to satisfy it another way.
    It's not easy. But I take it one day at a time, and I've been able to stretch out my time between binges and feel more in control.
    I guess I just want you to know, I understand the struggle :smile:
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Log it. Logging during a binge can stop me when I realize the day is still salvageable.

This!!!!! Even if you guestimate what to log after the fact, you will ALWAYS be better off at stopping a binge cycle if you log it.

With that said, I've recently learned that what I eat does really impact my hunger levels and binge urges. Higher protein, higher volume, lower carb foods make me feel more full. Also, artificial sweeteners tend to lead to ravenous binges for me, something I discovered after I stopped drinking diet cokes and found that it was easier to resist the binge urges (and that they actually came less often).

I also agree with having small, measured portions of what you want to binge on, instead of completely avoiding it, helps too. If i'm desperate for chips or something else "junky", I usually try to wait a set time to see if it passes and then if I really want it, I'll have a measured portion. Otherwise, if I eat something healthier, I just end up ALSO eating the chips and it usually isn't the measured portion. ;-)

Good luck!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I very rarely feel full. I kind of think that's the point. You eat until the hunger is satisfied and not to fullness. Because, let's be honest, fullness is how a lot of us got into this mess. But I also think it's retraining your mind and body. Old habits basically.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    log (and weigh) everything-be aware of what you are eating.
    eat more protein and fiber to stay full longer
    be conscious of brain hunger and belly hunger. eat only with the belly hunger
    get enough sleep
    do not graze-this is hard for me
    drink lots of fluids
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of things you could do to stop this. We realise that there is a huge difference between being "hungry" and having "cravings". One has nothing to do with the other. You can feel absolutely stuffed from a meal and just keep eating and eating because you crave it and it tastes good. It becomes a habit after a while but the great news is habits can be broken. I have learned that my body and mind feel best when I am just barely slightly hungry... not full. I've eaten, I'm satisfied (not hungry or full), just right. Then I find distractions... walk the dog, go for a run, do a quick workout, run to the store to window shop, call a friend for a long chat, paint your nails, do some gardening, clean the house, do some laundry, re-organize one of the rooms in your house or apartment, take a walk along the beach, skip the binge and go buy yourself a pair of shoes for a reward. In the meantime, if you have too, munch on celery, baby carrots, raw asparagus, drink water with lemon... Try all of those things and avoid the urge/binge just for one night. That night is a victory... if you can do it once, you can do it again! It really comes down to will power, discipline and creating new healthy habits. Like the saying goes... "The food you've craved for an hour? or the body you've wanted for a lifetime?" If nothing else works, maybe you should seek a real support group, like overeaters anonymous. I know a couple of people who joined that group and it has helped them tremendously! Good luck :smile:
  • reeves45
    Options
    Thank you all so very much. Such great advice, will incorporate all of it. Such a journey very much appreciate all of your help;)
  • reeves45
    Options
    gemmi33 wrote: »
    I'll eat a whole packed of biscuits and leave 2 in the bottom like I've done myself a favour!! Really
    I'm exposed .... Also a secret muncher lol

Amen!!!
  • reeves45
    Options
    There are a lot of things you could do to stop this. We realise that there is a huge difference between being "hungry" and having "cravings". One has nothing to do with the other. You can feel absolutely stuffed from a meal and just keep eating and eating because you crave it and it tastes good. It becomes a habit after a while but the great news is habits can be broken. I have learned that my body and mind feel best when I am just barely slightly hungry... not full. I've eaten, I'm satisfied (not hungry or full), just right. Then I find distractions... walk the dog, go for a run, do a quick workout, run to the store to window shop, call a friend for a long chat, paint your nails, do some gardening, clean the house, do some laundry, re-organize one of the rooms in your house or apartment, take a walk along the beach, skip the binge and go buy yourself a pair of shoes for a reward. In the meantime, if you have too, munch on celery, baby carrots, raw asparagus, drink water with lemon... Try all of those things and avoid the urge/binge just for one night. That night is a victory... if you can do it once, you can do it again! It really comes down to will power, discipline and creating new healthy habits. Like the saying goes... "The food you've craved for an hour? or the body you've wanted for a lifetime?" If nothing else works, maybe you should seek a real support group, like overeaters anonymous. I know a couple of people who joined that group and it has helped them tremendously! Good luck :smile:

Thank you, fabulous advice
  • reeves45
    Options
    ladybg81 wrote: »
    I very rarely feel full. I kind of think that's the point. You eat until the hunger is satisfied and not to fullness. Because, let's be honest, fullness is how a lot of us got into this mess. But I also think it's retraining your mind and body. Old habits basically.

You are right, re-training 20+years bad habits
  • reeves45
    Options
    jinkeys26 wrote: »
    yes, I used to do this almost everyday. For me, this is one of my biggest acts of self harm. I've been on the road to recovery from this behavior for almost a year now. It's very complex and difficult to simply slap a bandaid on. I combat the urge daily.
    The strategies that have worked for me have been eating a diet high in satisfying healthy fats and minimally processed food, not allowing myself to get to the point of hungry where I want to cram everything into my gob, exercising everyday as a form of loving self care and maybe the biggest one: Allowing myself to sit with the urge and try to untangle what triggered it. Try to satisfy it another way.
    It's not easy. But I take it one day at a time, and I've been able to stretch out my time between binges and feel more in control.
    I guess I just want you to know, I understand the struggle :smile:

Thank you, helps to know you aren't the only one.
  • reeves45
    Options
    Yes, as above! I don't understand macros exactly but I understand the pie chart ( mmmmm pie!!) on here and when I'm close to matching the figures I do feel fuller for longer. Eating a low gi diet helps too. Secret eating is my downfall, when no one is watching, do the calories really count? YES! 43 year old Mum of 3 wanting to loose 50lbs. My name is Josephine, feel free to add me as a friend if you want.

Thx for input. It really helps.