Shin splints....worse nightmare

Options
anyone else experiencing shin splints? I've never had them until now and they are incredible painful for me. I've been icing my shins and trying to do some stretchs, but it seems my shins won't heal.

I know it is probably because my legs aren't as strong as they used to be (why I'm trying to lose weight and get back to being healthy). Even when I'm trying to workout it seems the pain gets in the way. How am I supposed to work on improve my leg strength when I can't tolerate the pain. Ugh suggestions, comments, advice is MUCH appericated! xoxo

Replies

• dogsarebears
    dogsarebears Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    when I had shin splints the only thing that helped long-term was rest. hope you feel better soon!
  • lisa0506
    lisa0506 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I get them really bad too and wearing compression sleeves has really hailed me
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Shin Splints are a pain in the *kitten*. I usually just find the pulled muscle and rub it hard. I also will foam roll..plus advil.
  • lisa0506
    lisa0506 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Make that compression sleeves has really helped me
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Massage, rest, stretching, foam roller, and NSAIDS. Like some one said, pressure on that tender point helps break up adhesions.

I had them for a year. Mine got better when I changed shoes. I must have gone from a 8-10 drop to a 2-4 drop, was running on a cambored road, and either developed or aggravated SI joint issues. Take a look at your shoes and running/walking surface. Tracks are not ideal for shin splints. Compression sleeves do help. Look at shortening your stride.

Be sure you are stretching/ rolling out everything hips down.