Alternatives to bread/carbs

Options
I'm a bit of a carb fiend and am trying to find alternatives that are filling and keep me full.
Somedays Altho not as often as before I'll eat toast fir breakfast, sandwich for lunch and pasta/rice/potato with dinner.
I'm trying to come up with alternatives so I don't get bored, I've been having omelette or boiled eggs for breakfast which keeps me very satisfied for a long while!
Why else I there?

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    plenty of veggies..fruits..beans
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I use crackerbread if I'm feeling carby. Mostly I have egg based breakfast,
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot more Beans and Lentils instead of rice, potato, pasta.....
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I need carbs too, but have just cut right down on them. It's amazing how many cals are in bread. I have cereal with fruit and yogurt for brekkie, usually a small wrap or sandwich thin with some salad stuff and chicken or prawns for lunch, and either salad or fresh veg with protein and approx 150 gms new spuds for dinner. That satisfies my carb need and is the basis of my whole diet. I eat more protein than the stats here tell me, but that satisfies my hunger, and I've never heard of it being bad for you.

I exercise, but not excessively (approx 200 cal burn/day), and have been lossing 1.5 to 2 lb a week since Jan.

Hope that helps.
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Nairns Oatcakes? I eat the cheese flavoured ones with soup instead of Bread. Three of them fill me up just as good. I also have them with peanut butter for an after gym snack.
  • angdrusso
    angdrusso Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ryevita instead of sandwich? They are low in calories and fill me up. Good luck!
  • skidia
    skidia Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm also a carb junkie trying to break the habit.

I'm experimenting with a carb curfew (including bread, pasta, potatoes and rice) of 6pm, which I've broken twice in a week. I don't think I'll stick to it completely, but trying to avoid starchy foods in the evening at least makes me think twice about what is on my plate. I've adapted by sort of switching my meals around and having my carbs at lunch (to keep me going) and big salads and veggies at dinner.

Dishes that have worked well for me are-

-Spanokopita - the golden filo crust and large looking portion make me think I'm eating something carby and indulgent, but actually the bulk is all veg. I added kale to the spinach so it doesn't shrink down so much. I had this with a side salad for dinner (that makes 3 leafy vegetables in one meal!) and leftovers the next day with some cherry tomatoes for lunch.

-Lentils with lardons - the lardons make it tasty and naughty but I actually only used one rasher of bacon with quite a lot of lentils. I cook this with tomatoes and eat in a bowl as a pre-pub filler and have also had it as a side to some steamed or grilled fish, along with salad. The lentils are filling but versatile so can take the place of the carbs on your plate. Experiment and find a way of cooking them that you like.

-Tuna and bean salad instead of tuna mayo sandwiches. If you can get small cans of beans it work well. I use tuna in brine, cannelloni beans, spring onions, balsamic or white wine vinegar, a little bit of olive oil and sometimes tomato or cucumber.

As a quick strategy I've thinking along the lines of 'replace half the carbs with double the same of veg'. And peas in place of rice in a good tip.

Breakfasts used to be my downfall as I don't like eggs and 1 piece of toast never seems enough. But I have made some mini muesli based muffins to grab on the go and am trying to eat 2 pieces of fruit before I reach for the toaster. And muesli is very filling.
  • Skinny100
    Skinny100 Posts: 77
    Options
    I'm not sure if this will help much in the craving department, but I know some people who have had luck using large lettuce leaves as a bread replacement.
    Also, I've tried those new thin bread burger things and they are not bad.
    Best of luck!
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    Very helpful Skidia, thank you (Wish there was a 'like' button!)
  • pixieofdoom
    pixieofdoom Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    lentils and lardons sounds fab. Love the idea of a 'pre-pub' healthy filler too, so much better than kebab on the way home!
  • kell_riley
    kell_riley Posts: 312
    Options
    Brilliant thanks for the suggestions! Looks like I'll be adding to the shopping trolley this week!