What's it like to live in NY?

Options
I may never know, so do share ur stories with me!

Replies

• Tracenspace
    Tracenspace Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I only know what it's like to visit! I really like the fact that your body is like your car and you walk every where. I probably wouldn't if I stayed long and had to carry my groceries and my laundry though lol
  • carolww
    carolww Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    When I visited there - long time ago - it was the only city I've even been in which was EXACTLY like the movies portray it. I loved it. Especially sunday brunch!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    never lived there..but visited..i'm not from the south technically..i was born in OHIO..but i live in NC now..i went up last year to niagara falls, and went to the store with my wifes family, and she spoke to some random dude and mentioned we were from NC..he rolled his eyes at us and made a rude comment about us being from the south and stupid or something..really i was just standing there and didnt even speak..so what i say..is forget NY..rude pushy people who dont give a crap about anyone but themselves.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    My partner lived in Rye, NY from babyhood until he was sent back to England to go to school when he was 13. His take on NYers is somewhat different to his mother's view! He didn't get on terribly well with his peers - he always felt like the odd one out because he was British (although, technically Bahamian, because he was born in Nassau - he only recently stopped having dual nationality), and because he wasn't sporty. Apparently it was a nice area to grow up in though, but he hated summer camp...despite receiving a certificate for...smiling (he was a very serious child)! :laugh:

His mother, OTOH, tells me that NY is a great place, where the people are really friendly, and where it's very cosmopolitan in the city. She says it's more like Europe in its general attitude, and people don't look at you oddly if you don't eat meat, or speak differently! LOL! I also have chums who are either NYers, or who have moved there, who say the same thing; that it's welcoming, and very vibrant.

I suppose it's like anywhere though - good and bad aspects. London, for example, is a vibrant and welcoming city, and very cosmopolitan but some parts of it aren't very nice. I love that it is a huge cultural melting pot, and that in general, everyone is accepted....but of course, in some areas that just isn't the case. I suspect that NYC is similar, after all, people are people, no matter where you go!

When all's said and done, I think NYC can't be that bad because my SIL has been known to fly over (from the UK) to do her Christmas shopping there! :laugh:
  • TheGoktor
    Options
    never lived there..but visited..i'm not from the south technically..i was born in OHIO..but i live in NC now..i went up last year to niagara falls, and went to the store with my wifes family, and she spoke to some random dude and mentioned we were from NC..he rolled his eyes at us and made a rude comment about us being from the south and stupid or something..really i was just standing there and didnt even speak..so what i say..is forget NY..rude pushy people who dont give a crap about anyone but themselves.

Gosh, that's horrid. But you can't judge an entire state on one person being an @rse!
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    When all's said and done, I think NYC can't be that bad because my SIL has been known to fly over (from the UK) to do her Christmas shopping there! :laugh:

My friend has done the same!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I've wanted to go to NY since I was tiny, but never had the money and a travelling companion at the same time. The parts of the US I've been to are probably less usual for UK visitors - Chicago, Portland Oregon and Wichita Kansas.

I think I should make it my goal to get there before I'm 45, even if it means selling my car and taking off on my own!
  • fifibox
    fifibox Posts: 69
    Options
    Yeah if I had a travelling companin to share the awesum experiences with i'd be there in a flash to!!!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    well first you have to clarify where in NY.....NYC is what Im going to assume you meant...its a busy place and people are always on the move..small apartments ..and lots of public commuters...a very active place with tons of things to do....you will love it if you can part with your car and love to be on the go....I dont think NYC people are rude..they are just busy bodies you snooze you lose..you get in the way you get moved ....
  • TheGoktor
    Options
    well first you have to clarify where in NY.....NYC is what Im going to assume you meant...its a busy place and people are always on the move..small apartments ..and lots of public commuters...a very active place with tons of things to do....you will love it if you can part with your car and love to be on the go....I dont think NYC people are rude..they are just busy bodies you snooze you lose..you get in the way you get moved ....

Sounds much like Milano, actually.
  • TheGoktor
    Options

Did she bring you back a Christmas tree decoration from Tiffany? My SIL did! But we never decorate our house at Christmas, so it's never been used!
  • stacsir
    stacsir Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I may never know, so do share ur stories with me!

I don't live in the city or near it. I live up north Past Albany. I love it. Winters are pretty and frigid lots of snow. Spring time is fresh. I actually live in a rural area everyone here is friendly. Summer is warm and enjoyable. And Fall is absolutely beautiful.
    I can hop into my car and get to a number of beaches and shopping areas within a 15 mile drive. The nearest fishing spot is across the street.

heres a picture from winter in front of my house
    DSCF1747.jpg

2005_1216Image0007.jpg

Here are some recent photos
    me at camp
    207777_1034116661852_1493491015_30078829_1829305_n.jpg

The rainbow from this weekend
    240897_1696431899319_1493491015_31336576_6489117_o.jpg

My son with his big catch
    29481_1255183508385_1493491015_30553178_913764_n.jpg

My ol' puppy enjoying the creek
    DSC00202.jpg
  • fifibox
    Options

yes i totally shud have clarified! NYC indeed!

So u sound like u lived or have lived there. I find there are not many NYC pple on here, does this mean they are all fit and healthy and skinny from having no cars so they dont need to be on here? Thats what I recon! :-)
  • fifibox
    Options

Did she bring you back a Christmas tree decoration from Tiffany? My SIL did! But we never decorate our house at Christmas, so it's never been used!

hahahahaha ur SIL is hilarious i want to meet her!