Acai Berry & Detox Pills

Options
ehte_h
ehte_h Posts: 295 Member
www.evolution-slimming.com/store/acai-berry-products/acai-plus-extreme-weight-loss-complex-1-month-supply-/prod_109.html

I was on the verge of buying these, but something stopped me... Has anyone on MFP had experience of these? And would you reccommend them?

Replies

• registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    If you're not watching what you eat, and not exercising, it's not going to work. If you want to detox, that's another thing. Don't do it to lose weight. Best detox methods are from fasting.
  • yvettemi
    yvettemi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi

I bought acai berry pills, tried them and haven't noticed any changes yet, I have stopped them as am trying to conceive now and not sure if they are dangerous.
    have you heard anything about that?

http://www.healthspan.co.uk/antioxidants/acai-berry-2000mg/productdetail-p3196711-c122.aspx bought them from this website
  • ehte_h
    Options
    If you're not watching what you eat, and not exercising, it's not going to work. If you want to detox, that's another thing. Don't do it to lose weight. Best detox methods are from fasting.

Hey, i'm defintely careful with the diet especially since joining MFP.. What fasting methods do you reccommend?
  • TinaRodina
    TinaRodina Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I tried acai pills and had no results.. which brought me here!
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    Is there any proof that detoxing actually does something long term?
  • yvettemi
    yvettemi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    and just read the reviews on the website, a lot of people who tried them are not happy as havent noticed any results, if you are looking for pills that do work then you can easily find them but they are a bit dabgerous, i have lost lots of weight and can say that got used to side effects :)
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, the effects and benefits are greatly overstated - interesting article on Acai berries at http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2011/04/acai-berry-scam-shocking-proof.php

The conclusion of the article states:

'The ADA’s position statement on Acai gives good advice:
    “Until the health benefits of the acai berry are scientifically proven, it seems more reasonable, cheaper and safer to get antioxidants from other fruit and vegetable sources.”
    As does the CSPI:
    “There’s no evidence whatsoever to suggest that açai pills will help shed pounds, flatten tummies, cleanse colons, enhance sexual desire, or perform any of the other commonly advertised functions”… “If Bernard Madoff were in the food business, he’d be offering ‘free’ trials of açai-based weight-loss products.”
  • mady2806
    mady2806 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    In my opinion I believe that any quick weightloss is not good for your health. Taking pills for a quick fix is not the way to go. Just start eating healthier and adding in exercise to your diet.
  • romoli
    romoli Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This is a scam. Like all scams directed at people who are desperate and want an easy way out... there's no easy way. Get rid of the fad exercise equipment and shakes and go for a walk. With myfitnesspal I'm well on my way to reaching my goal, a goal that one year ago I would have said was unattainable. No berries for me please.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    www.evolution-slimming.com/store/acai-berry-products/acai-plus-extreme-weight-loss-complex-1-month-supply-/prod_109.html

I was on the verge of buying these, but something stopped me... Has anyone on MFP had experience of these? And would you reccommend them?

No, I would not recommend them.

Save your money. The only thing that acai berry pills, etc. and 'detoxes' lighten is your wallet.
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Save your money. The only thing that acai berry pills, etc. and 'detoxes' lighten is your wallet.
    [/quote]

LOL. Truest statement yet:laugh:
  • pcarpenr3r
    pcarpenr3r Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is indeed a scam. One that has been around for years.
    They sign you up to a "free" trial that hides recurring high charges for the products on onerous conditions.

Save yourself some money: Try googling "acai berry scam"

Edit:
    from the bottom of the first result :"Do not sign up to any free trials – if a deal is too good to be true, it often is. “
  • ehte_h
    Options
    Thanks guys,
    Point taken.. Say no to Acai berry. What about detoxing on its own?
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys,

Absoutely the biggest scam out there. Your body 'detoxes' itself. No need to go buy any products or go on a modified fast to detox--your body does that all by itself, every minute of every single day.
  • ehte_h
    Options
    Thanks guys,

Absoutely the biggest scam out there. Your body 'detoxes' itself. No need to go buy any products or go on a modified fast to detox--your body does that all by itself, every minute of every single day.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet that's good to hear! Give myself a slap and get back to regular exercise and healthy eating
  • pcarpenr3r
    pcarpenr3r Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Nice one mate. The missus was caught by the scam 6 months ago.

Regarding detox in general: I'm no expert but from what I have read there really is no science to back up the idea of "detoxing". If you aren't ill (and haven't been seriously poisoned) your body should be able to get rid any toxins on its own.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/jan/05/detox-science

It seems if you want to reduce the toxins in your body, all you need to do is: eat healthily, drink plenty of water and don't smoke.
    Exercise and massage can aid natural detoxification by enhancing lymphatic drainage, both of which can be free!
  • ehte_h
    Options
    Nice one mate. The missus was caught by the scam 6 months ago.

Regarding detox in general: I'm no expert but from what I have read there really is no science to back up the idea of "detoxing". If you aren't ill (and haven't been seriously poisoned) your body should be able to get rid any toxins on its own.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/jan/05/detox-science

It seems if you want to reduce the toxins in your body, all you need to do is: eat healthily, drink plenty of water and don't smoke.
    Exercise and massage can aid natural detoxification by enhancing lymphatic drainage, both of which can be free!

Thanks mate!!

Below is the email my gym instructor just sent me:

Thank’s for the email, acai berries provide anti oxidant, and mineral properties but you can get these from most fruits like blueberries etc! Detoxing pills won’t help you lose weight, they are just expensive and won’t make any difference, and also you don’t know exactly what’s in them! There are no shortcuts or quick fixes!! You just need to look at your diet and make sure you are eating the right foods, a diet with lower carb, high protein and moderate good fats and lots of fruit and veg is what you need, then you need to be exercising at least 4 times a week, doing mixture of weight training and interval cardio. Hope this helps,

Regards,

Roy.