Pear shape weight loss help :(

Options
hi! :) Well I'm a pear shape I guess and I've been eating right and going to a gym for about 3 weeks I try to do 20 minutes of elliptical for cardio and then an hour of weights on most days legs because I want skinnier legs. But I feel I might be getting bigger. What should I change? Are there any pears with succes stories? I would like to know what you've done. :) please

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Are you eating at a deficit? Accurately weighing, measuring and logging your food?

Keep doing this consistently and you'll eventually lose the fat you want. Women often hold the weight around the hips/thighs til last - it does go though!
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Just so you know: targeting legs for weights workouts does not result in 'skinnier legs'. Unfortunately you don't get to choose where fat comes off, you just have to eat at a calorie deficit and continue to lose all over. As the previous poster has said, for weight loss you need a calorie deficit, and to ensure a deficit you need to be accurately and consistently logging your food. Do you use a food scale?
  • Toadstool_
    Toadstool_ Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know too! I'm continuing to eat at a deficit and exercising until my weight is as low as I'm happy with on the top half (being a pear by the time my legs are slimmish just on diet i look skeletal on the top half), and then upping to maintenance and looking into body recomposition I've seen a few threads about. Hopefully that will help.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Sorry, you can't'spot reduce'; you don't get to decide where off your body the fat comes (although i wish you could!). Weights will help with your composition and give you a firmer, less 'jiggly' look, but to actually get them thinner you will just have to eat at a deficit and be patient.
  • bunnypy
    bunnypy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm also a pear shape, I've never had to worry about a big tummy or fatty arms which is a benefit, and I know if I go anywhere less than 105lbs I will definitely look underweight on my top part because I carry most of my weight in my hips, if my jeans are getting tighter I go on a deficit for a week or 2 until my jeans fit properly, and exercise is not a must for me!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Exercising your legs will result in stronger legs, not thinner legs. Eating less calories than you burn will resutl in overall fat loss, exercise will help with overall fitness. You cannot spot reduce.
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am a classic pear. For the longest time I lifted weights only for upper body, because I feared I would get even bigger thighs, etc. I was reading forums on MFP and saw before-after pics of someone who lifted instead of doing lots of cardio. It sold me. I started doing squats and lunges. It's been about 6 months, and I have lost almost an inch from my thigh and two inches from my lower hips. Those few inches go a LONg way in fitting in pants, I've discovered. I am literally shocked at how my pants are fitting. Not to sound like an infomercial, but I can't believe it worked. I took some pictures wearing some shorts I wore pre-weights and again I was shocked. My legs look leaner, the shorts are (gasp!) baggy around the thigh.

Yesterday some dude was using the squat bar for the entire time I was at the gym. I was so bummed I couldn't do my squats!

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Fat loss will come from the deficit, so start there. You can't spot reduce. You can however incorporate lunges, squats, hip thrusters, deadlifts etc.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm a pear too. I will say though I thought that my legs were getting bigger but they were just getting toned. They looked huge to me but I KNOW they actually got more toned and slightly smaller because I measured and because I finally fit into skinny jeans.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'm also pear. I spin several times a week - plus my other classes - and boom! My thighs lost 7 inches. Each! And my hips and stomach are smaller, but my pearness hasn't changed. My upper body bulks easily too.

We work with what we have ... unless we do liposuction, and the fat can come back ....
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm also pear. I spin several times a week - plus my other classes - and boom! My thighs lost 7 inches. Each!

7 inches?!?! Holy smokes! I've lost about an inch from each thigh and I'm shocked at the difference. Nice job!

• discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I recently realized my thighs are bigger than my waist once was. Huge shock. Still I think working them out makes a difference. They say muscle takes up less space than fat, so even if you don't lose having more muscle in your legs makes them smaller. It is slow though.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Eating at a deficit is the only thing that will get you thinner legs. I am also a pear shape and my thighs seem to be the last place to loss fat on my body. It takes time. Also, lifting weights is good but you should do your entire body and not just your legs.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Eat slightly less. Do some form of resistance training for the whole body, it won't make your legs look bigger. Not that there is anything wrong with having big legs. It's good to learn to love your body shape rather than fighting tooth and nail to change it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    Eat slightly less. Do some form of resistance training for the whole body, it won't make your legs look bigger. Not that there is anything wrong with having big legs. It's good to learn to love your body shape rather than fighting tooth and nail to change it.

This^

Just do the best you can. There is no guarantee that you will have the exact shape you want.
    Some thin women are pears too. I was one at 5'5" ....106 pounds.
  • ruby1867221
    ruby1867221 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm also pear. I spin several times a week - plus my other classes - and boom! My thighs lost 7 inches. Each! And my hips and stomach are smaller, but my pearness hasn't changed. My upper body bulks easily too.

We work with what we have ... unless we do liposuction, and the fat can come back ....

Did spinning bulk ur thighs? Did it do anything for belly fat? And is *3enough?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Did spinning bulk ur thighs? Did it do anything for belly fat? And is *3enough?

ZOMBIE THREAD

th?&id=OIP.Mdc0145e95fcc9c9282a9b4a47c6465aco0&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

If YOU have a genetic tendency to bulk (the vast majority of women do not)....then you will bulk whether it's spinning, or other forms of exercise.

Spinning isn't a "cure" for being pear shaped.