Arthritis and Lots of prednisone. Need help.

Options
I could eat forever! Steroids have made me so hungry and I have gained 30 pounds in 6 months... and arthritis makes it hard to move. I try but it's hard. Tons of water help but I crave food, lots of it. Help!

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    have you considered swimming? easier on the joints. or add restorative yoga so you are stretched out nicely so you can move more comfortably?

I don't have a steroid hunger advise. I have not been there and don't know how that feels
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    xkitxkatxkaix Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis too (since I was 22... ain't that a b*tch?) right above my sciatic nerve so I get where you're coming from with pain.

^^^@moyer566 is completely right. Swimming is sooo easy on the joints. I have almost no pain when I'm in the pool. Plus you're using all the muscles in your bod, very very good workout to do. If I were you I would live in the pool. That way you will be eating more for energy than anything. Hope this helps! :)
  • emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Have you tried any physical therapy?
  • KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I hear you... I've been on prednisone for arthritis (adult onset still's disease) for 11 years, gained 200 pounds! Do what you can to reduce your dose. I now inject 30 mg. of methotrexate and 200 mg. of monster and was able to reduce to 20 mg. of prednisone.

And yes, swimming is key. I swim almost every day.

Karen
  • jessicabelanger23
    jessicabelanger23 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've had arthritis since I was 2, I'm now 27. I understand the struggle all to well. Only advise is to try and push past the pain as much as possible and just get up and go. You can do it even if it's slow going it's better for you in the long run, and your body will thank you later (even tho at the time it doesn't feel like it will lol)
  • sueanncris
    sueanncris Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a pool in the neighborhood so I may suck it up and go early in the morning when no one will see me. I went from a size 6 to a 12 in a year and I hate my body!! I move like an older lady- so depressing.
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    When I first started I bought an Electric bike. You know the kind that will assist when you pedal and only when you pedal.... :D It was very expensive, but worth every penny. The best buy ever. Very quickly I could up my miles and today I´m actually able to run a Little. ;-) The arthritis will allways be a companion of mine, but losing 46 kgs so far has proven to up my quality af life big time. I wish you the best finding a way of balancing your medication, cals and excersice. Best wishes. Don´t give in.... don´t give up. You can do this!
  • ZakiJaye
    ZakiJaye Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Steroid Hunger is just crazy making, I totally empathise with you as I spent a lot of years on them for Crohns disease and they are partially responsible for my weight issues.
    What I did find it to have things like ice pops or lollies, things that satisfy your taste buds but are not full of tons of fat and calories help.

• palmettoadventurer
    palmettoadventurer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Oh, man. I don't have any advice on the steroid hunger, because I was not able to refrain from stuffing my face with everything in site when I was on prednisone. Maybe try high-fiber veggies and stuff to make you feel fuller without too many calories?

As far as the movement goes, I find that keeping active helps my joints* feel better in general. It's building up to being active that's the hard part, though, so I'm going to echo everyone else and suggest swimming. Probably the easiest activity on your joints.

*Lot of wear and tear on my joints. According to my doctor, it's not quite arthritis yet, though.