Artificial Sweeteners- Vote now

Options
So, I have read over and over that studies show these (delicious) chemicals can increase cravings for unhealthy foods, and are, in fact, terrible for you.

Let me take this moment to jump out of the closet and say - I love the stuff.

Splenda, Equal, etc... how I love thee, let me count the ways:

1. YOu make calorie free sodas so tasty and guiltless.
2. You make Kashi Go Lean taste like Frosty Flakes.
3. You make water + flavorings (sugar free Koolaid) delectable and keep me hydrated.
4. You jump in my coffee w/ skim milk and wake me up every day

That's all I can think of. How can something so good be soo bad?

Vote now! Is it a do or a don't?

Replies

• gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    So, I have read over and over that studies show these (delicious) chemicals can increase cravings for unhealthy foods, and are, in fact, terrible for you.

3. You make water + flavorings (sugar free Koolaid) delectable and keep me hydrated.

• renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I love love love Splenda so it's a BIG DO!!!!!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options

I feel the same way about butter. :grumble:
  • kammiller
    Options
    I :drinker: love sweeteners its great to be able to drink soda and coffee without guilt, and actually I like the taste better
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options

I feel the same way about hamburgers, and fries!!!
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I put splenda in my coffee everyday! :)
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options

I feel the same way about hamburgers, and fries!!!

and ice cream (well soy ice cream - I am lactose intolerant), and pie...

but seriously, I think it depends on how they affect you.. I have IBS and splenda and other artificial sweeteners tend to make me feel really bloated and crampy. If it didn't affect me this way, I'd use them quite a bit more..

jb
  • shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of the ZERO cal drinks, drinking Sprite Zero right now.
    I can only drink so much water, but I think it's the aspartame that isn't so great for us?! Not really sure why...that's just the word on the street these days.
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    The studies, which never show the cancerous results in humans, always compare it to drinking water... in reality, if it wasn't for the diet soda... I'd probably be drinking the real sodas. I think the lack of calories in the diet sodas have way more advantages than the obesity, diabetes, heart disease, etc. with the chalk-full-of-sugar alternatives. But that's just my humble opinion.

I vote Artificial Sweeteners -- Go fake sweet!
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I use Splenda for tea, sugarless fruit drinks, on my cereal and in my coffee.

I meet with a nutritionist twice a month because I am taking a drug that requires special diet. She says that while using sugar substitutes is better than a lot of processed sugar, she says that Stevia (sp?) and honey are better still. I am trying to integrate Stevia, but to me it has a little bit of a bitter after-taste.
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I work on the Neurology floor of a large hospital...so I am paranoid about artificial sweeteners...as I see lots of brain anomalies...of course I am also paranoid about salt (stroke risk)..and don't ever consume packaged tv-type dinners, and I also have an issue with pork...don't ask....
    A.
  • mhsrnmz
    mhsrnmz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't like them at all.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Big don't for me. Not because of any sort of health implication... I just think its icky. :sick:

For me, its all or nothing. If I can't have a real soda, I'll just drink water. If I ever did drink diet soda, it would all be psychological. My brain would only be happy because I would be THINKING I was drinking soda, not because it actually tasted good.

Bring on the real stuff, baby! :bigsmile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Now of course you probably already know you'll hear many thoughts on this!:laugh:

Well I don't drink coffee so no need for fake or real sweetner.

I like Kashi cereals with out sweetner...I usually get Autumn Harvest which is YUM and uses natural sweeteners...in fact for myself I feel most all the Kashi Cereals and bars are plenty tasty on their own without white sugar. :tongue:

Diet Pop? EW....once in a blue moon I may drink one..but all those chemicals and all it does is make me want to drink one after another after another after another....chemicals are put in for a reason:wink::ohwell: usually to keep us buying the product and creating a feeling that our body wants/needs more of it.

:drinker: :heart: :drinker: Water plain is the best thing ever created!!:drinker: :heart: :drinker: Unless you have stinky well water...and then you punt and figure out how else to drink water...buy bottles I guess?? I don't have stinky well water so have not had to put much thought into that.:laugh:

Ok, covered those...:laugh: hm, thinking when I might use it....um, NEVER?:laugh: :wink: Well, I agree with lots of what I've learned as far as how it effects some people's health in a very negative way...I feel if it's doing that to some what is it doing to the rest of us we might not yet realize?

Not being a downer for those that enjoy artifical stuff I just prefer clean eating myself...knowing what I am eating is not chemicals and is more natural....there are some great natural sweetners out there if you want to try them out...:flowerforyou:

Ok, guess that's all from me......:bigsmile:

FC:heart:
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I vote a big NO. Yuck. I hate the way artificial sweetners taste.

If the studies show it increases your cravings why would you want to risk it if you are trying to lose weight? Doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of a healthy lifestyle?
  • anony999
    anony999 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I can't stand any of them. Sucralose (Splenda) gives me an instant headache, the sugar alcohols (Xylitol, etc.) upset my stomach, and the others (Aspartame, etc.) are NASTY.

I try to avoid ingesting chemicals whenever possible (though that's incredibly hard in this world!) so I am firmly against artificial sweeteners. There's no way of telling what the long term effects are in humans but I'd rather stick to tried-and-true things like sugar and honey (in moderate amounts).

I haven't yet tried Stevia, which is natural, so I'm reserving judgment on that for now.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    GUILTY as charged, your honor.

I put equal in my coffee each morning (2 packets)

I put sweet and low in my iced tea (2-4 packets a day total)

I have not worried too much. I figure we breath in air that is loaded with chemicals all day long. When I moved into this neighborhood 40 :noway: years ago, there was an intersection of 4 lanes total.

That same i/s is now 6 lanes one way and 10 lanes the other!:frown:

There is an airport 1 mile west, train tracks 10 blocks away in both directions

And thousands of cars passing within 2 blocks of my home.

Am I worried about artificial sweetners, nah.
    :smokin:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Once in awhile I'll have a diet coke, I don't even finish the whole can. Other than that I don't use sugar or the fake stuff in coffee or tea, I like them plain.
    I know some people who bake with the fake stuff but I'd rather have real sugar. I try to stay away from to much processed food.
  • tuxedo702
    Options
    Once in awhile I'll have a diet coke, I don't even finish the whole can. Other than that I don't use sugar or the fake stuff in coffee or tea, I like them plain.
    I know some people who bake with the fake stuff but I'd rather have real sugar. I try to stay away from to much processed food.

I don't care for any of them - they all seem to have an after taste. I should say, however, that I don't like soda and never got in the habit of putting sugar in my coffee or tea - so I'm lucky in that respect - makes it pretty easy to avoid the artifical sweetners that way. If I need a sweetner for something I just use real sugar.
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I like Splenda. I use it in coffee and hot chocolate, but I don't have either of those on a regular basis.

My mom says Splenda has a bitter after-taste.

:huh:

I say she's just a fake sweetener hater.

:laugh: