Yoga - 30 day challenge

kinga_m
kinga_m Posts: 24 Member
Hi there,

The international yoga day is going to be on the 21st of June.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Yoga_Day

I am doing yoga quite regularly for a while now, and thought this would be the perfect day to start a 30 day challenge.
The reason behind this is that I know yoga is really good for your health and also for your mind. And yoga should be practiced every day, not just a few times a week / month.

So I hope to get used to a daily yoga, even if I have just 15 minutes to do that after work.

Please feel free to join me now, or whenever your feel like you would like to challenge yourself for 30 days, and let me know how it is going.

We can discuss when it is best to practice yoga and what kind of exercises are working for us.
If it does not challenge you, it does not change you.

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Studios all over are offering free or donation classes on Sunday. It's a great time to start.
  • lakelochness
    lakelochness Posts: 17 Member
    I'm up for doing this as well! I love yoga but have recently fallen out of the habit. This will give me an excuse to get back into it!
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    I started my yoga practice a couple months ago while riding the bus. I've been having problems with racing thoughts (for the past 36 years!), and medications are a crapshoot for me. My choices are limited due to a kidney transplant, and my technical diagnosis is bipolar. And I was thinking about that old Daria episode "The Misery Chick" in which she gives someone the advice "find another way to think."

Yeah. Daria inspired my yoga practice.

Anyway, I was having racing thoughts on the bus that day, and I made myself breathe. And I thought, "Breathe, breathe." And after doing that for 30 seconds or so, whatever I had been thinking about was gone. It worked! I was also facing a diagnosis of IBS at the time, so the idea that I could heal some of my wounds with my brain was very empowering.

My IBS turned out to be serious inflammation of the gallbladder, and that's more of a surgical fix, but I've been steadily increasing my time spent on the mat (as well as checking in with my breath when I'm off the mat). My surgery is next week, and I'm not very worried at all. I've done my best to prepare, and I am in the best mindset possible for a healthy recovery.

I'm in it for more than 30 days, but I'd love to absorb some new ideas!
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,842 Member
    I actually started doing a beginner yoga DVD last night. This sounds like fun. I'm game.
  • kinga_m
    I am happy that you are up for the challenge! :)

I ordered this week a yoga mat which I have planned for a long time. It arrived, so now I have my first own one. It is a Manduka LiveON 5mm mat.
    I am a member at the local gym so I will try to sign up for some yoga classes there. The other days I am planning to come up with exercises I find useful and good after my days.

How are you guys planning ahead? :)
    I am looking forward to start this! Happy Friday!
  • yoginimary
    edited June 2015
    The manduka is a really good mat. I have two mandukas - one for studios and one for home (the big heavy one).

I practice nearly every day. I usually take one day off a week to let my muscles rest or because life gets in the way. The best way to make practice a habit is to do at least one pose everyday - even if you have only 5 minutes - do one pose and see what that leads to.

If at all possible, take at least one class a week. Being part of a class will help you in many ways. You will (hopefully) get instruction on how to practice the poses, as well as get ideas one which poses you can practice. You will see other people having challenges and successes. You may develop a new group of friends from your class. You will learn which poses you need to practice more - sometimes in class you will practice poses that you wouldn't do at home.

Good luck to all.
  • lakelochness
    So I started today! I used to follow these videos when I was practicing a lot more often. This one is my go-to one. It's a 20 minute "morning yoga for weight loss" but it gets a good sweat going and the back bend at the end is something I really need to work on so I enjoy seeing my progress the more often I do it!

http://youtu.be/7UpWgS7WtGg
  • lakelochness
    yoginimary wrote: »
    The best way to make practice a habit is to do at least one pose everyday - even if you have only 5 minutes - do one pose and see what that leads to.

That is totally solid advice! I'm loving it :smile: I'll definitely try to do that. Are there any poses that you'd recommend for near beginners to try out first?
  • kimberlyjoy159
    kimberlyjoy159 Posts: 23 Member
    I'm in! I resumed yoga this week. Following my daily walk with friends, I head to the front porch to practice yoga. Vune, I am in the process of being evaluated as a live kidney donor for my sister. That is the impetus to get me at my healthiest!
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    I'm in! I resumed yoga this week. Following my daily walk with friends, I head to the front porch to practice yoga. Vune, I am in the process of being evaluated as a live kidney donor for my sister. That is the impetus to get me at my healthiest!

That's so awesome! My transplant came from a cadaver kidney, and It changed everything for me. I went on dialysis at 19, and waited on the list until I was 21. Quite the different college career than my peers! Just to reiterate, it changed my life. And the success rate for living donors is so much higher! I hope you stay at your healthiest, regardless of whether you are able to donate.

I overdid something the other day. I think it was the triangle, and I think it stretched the tissue around my transplant site a little too far. No swelling, the area doesn't feel warm, it doesn't look injured, and the soreness goes away with rest, but a good reminder to take it slow no matter how much my confidence has improved. My kidney disease is actually a rare genetic disorder called Alport Syndrome. My body doesn't make certain types of collagen in the kidneys, inner ears, and parts of the eyes. I wear hearing aids and have problems with balance, so trusting myself enough to look at my "ceiling hand" during triangle feels huge!
  • tpearls
    tpearls Posts: 2 Member
    I am in
  • sthoms2
    sthoms2 Posts: 41 Member
    I would love to start doing yoga daily. I fit in 3 yoga classes a week. I have noticed quite a change in my body! I have lost almost 8 lbs and people keep commenting on how I look smaller. One of my goals is to be in great shape at 40. I want to be able to wear a bikini and not be embarrassed. I'll be 37 this year so I have a few years to work on it ;). I keep saying I will do 5 Sun salutations on the days I don't go to class. I need to start today!
  • kellyshell215
    kellyshell215 Posts: 98 Member
    Count me too! I've been doing yoga for 1 year and a half, but I always fall out the habit too :/
  • jonrenly
    jonrenly Posts: 116 Member
    Everyone should check out This 30 days of Yoga with Adrienne challenge!

Today is day 30 for me, but I think I'm going to start over again tomorrow :)
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    edited June 2015
    I believe I would like to try this. I had started the practice, but injured myself so fell out of it for awhile. I deal with a lot of stress as I am waiting for a double lung transplant and found that the yoga, as Vune mentioned, helps with all the racing thoughts and anxiety.

Edit cause: autocorrect!
  • kinga_m
    Thank you for all your advice!

I signed up for classes for Sunday to get a good start, next Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday. The other days I will need to set up the new habit of doing yoga at home.
  • kinga_m
    Happy Yoga Day, Everyone!

I am back from my class, it was a 90 minute one and I feel so much better after it. I know I won't be able to do every day this much, mostly going to aim for a 15-30 minutes practice on those days I can not go to the gym.

@lakelochness - thanks for the video! I will watch it and try it.

Today I heard about the crocodile pose, which supposedly ease the pain in the lower back, if anybody here suffering from that. I will try to keep my eyes open for exercises so I can gather movements that can fit my lifestyle.

If you try out something, it would be great if you could share it!
    Enjoy the International Yoga Day! :)
  • kinga_m
    Hi there,

I am planning to do today's yoga in the evening. I am not a morning person although I am planning to try out at least once yoga in the morning, before work. But I am not there yet. :smile:

How about you? Are you planning to do it in the morning / in the evening?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary wrote: »
    The best way to make practice a habit is to do at least one pose everyday - even if you have only 5 minutes - do one pose and see what that leads to.

That is totally solid advice! I'm loving it :smile: I'll definitely try to do that. Are there any poses that you'd recommend for near beginners to try out first?

Most people like to do down dog as their one pose of the day: it's a forward bend, inversion, shoulder opener, and builds arm strength.
    If you go to this page:
    http://iyengarnyc.org/association/links/
    a scroll down to "Forms and Downloads", they have a pdf of a couple of short home practices, that are suitable for beginners.

Happy Practicing.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I love yoga, but I do not practice every day. maybe I will try to practice at least one asana a day
    today I get to teach it so yay