Discouraged because of my stretch marks

Options
I'm feeling very distraught lately. I use to be very obese, didn't take care of my skin, etc. I was in a very dark place. Well, now I've been on my journey for over a year losing 60 pounds and I'm constantly feeling discouraged.

I don't know why I deal with severe stretch marks. maybe my skin is prone or just genetic. I have them all over my upper body (chest/boob area, stomach, hips, lower back down to my butt) They are literally everywhere. I am so tired of having a body covered in scars and knowing I will have to deal with them for the rest of my life. Sometimes I feel like my hard work is for nothing because either way I will not be happy with my body. People tell you to just be happy and accept your body, that's a lot easier said than done. Most bodies out there are not scarred all over.

Replies

• Fitnessflexibility
    Fitnessflexibility Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    It's about health and fitness first. Are you feeling better? More energy? I have stretch marks too from having my daughter, they are there but the more fit I get the less I care. I feel healthy and you have to learn to love that feeling.
    Don't let marks on your skin bring you down my friend, you can do this! Congratulations on your loss!
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    People tell you to just be happy and accept your body, that's a lot easier said than done. Most bodies out there are not scarred all over.
    You'd be surprised. A lot of people have stretchmark's, more than you would guess based on people's appearance in clothes. I've got friends who have been slim their whole lives who still have them. My weight went up and down a lot when I was a teenager and I've got them on my boobs, hip, behind my arms, all over my thighs, back of my knees and my belly. I don't love them but I don't let them get me down either.
    They won't ever go away but they do fade and tighten up and get less noticeable with time.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I've got them over my hips and boobs- I got them when I was 100lbs! At age 15 my hips and boobs arrived over the course of a summer so I ended up with stretch marks. At age 40 I still have them, though they are silvery now.
    I've dated guys with them too- mostly along thier biceps. Don't worry- everyone has imperfections, it's okay.
  • nymphtears
    nymphtears Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks can be removed with laser or surgery, so if they really bother you, you could save up for that. My stomach is covered in stretch marks, too, and I find it comforting to know that if they're still bothering me in few years, there is an existing solution.
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have them on my thighs. I freaked out at first. But they are very common. Also depending on your financial situation maybe make that a goal. Once you reach your goal weight you can get them removed with lasers. From what I've heard. It works very well but is quite painful.
  • asrai50
    asrai50 Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I have plenty of them. Years ago they were pretty red and obvious...they do fade over time. If they truly bother you that much, consider saving some money and seeing a plastic surgeon or even a dermatologist may be able to give you some options. Honestly, mine dont even bother me anymore. They are just part of me.