I need help. I'm now telling myself a blueberry muffin is one of my 5 a day..!

Options
Hi, I am a serial dieter.. Going up and down a couple of stone over the years, however more up. I've previously lost 2 stone vowing never to go back to the same again, but 6-12 months later, I'm at my biggest again feeling rubbish and with zero willpower.

I need to get my diet head back on again but it doesn't fit!

Replies

• JanelleG0122
    JanelleG0122 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    What you need to do is change your lifestyle. If you do a 'diet' than the weight will come back cause you can't diet forever. You need to realize that the only way to stay healthy is to change your lifestyle. Track your calories and your exercises, weigh your food, go through the forums that tell you the best way to change your lifestyle, but no one can help you do that til you realize you need to change your lifestyle and not just diet. Good Luck.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    change your life and your thoughts on eating
    do not diet, just think about monitoring your calories in and out

also consider eating nutrient dense foods and eating protein and fiber to stay full longer. less likely to binge

make small changes. ones you can commit to, no big sweeping changes. you are likely not to follow thru
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You may need serious behavioral modifications. I am/was in the same boat. Here are a couple of thoughts:

Never lose focus: Keep a monthly calendar stuck to your refrigerator and mark every day as a success/failure.
    Avoid junk food locations: Stay away from cafe, cafeterias, etc; do not buy and stock high calorie foods.
    Preplan your food: In the morning, plan what you want to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner; You could add low calorie salad as a staple for lunch AND dinner.
    Exercise: Burn 400-500 calories per day. Most of us cannot lose weight by diet alone.
    No cheat days: One cheat day per week can undo all the the good you did during the week.

I lost 20 pounds in a few months by following these strategies.
  • hutchin88
    hutchin88 Posts: 83 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I know, oy, it's hard together motivated at the beginning.. :neutral:

What worked for me before: first just stop gaining weight. That way you start getting off the "eat anything you crave at the moment" mindset. Post a picture of what you want to look like on the fridge or computer for motivation. Then start cutting out the culprits like ice cream, etc.

Were you dieting too severely before? A more moderate approach may be easier to maintain. This is a marathon not a sprint!

Good luck!
  • hutchin88
    hutchin88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    "To get motivated" (autocorrect)