Bad Habits (Fasting) Any advice from people with experience?

Options
I have a bad habit of fasting and not sure how to stop i'm just so focused on other things that eating itself has become a chore, any advice from people who have experienced a similar problem? (I still drink liquids tho)

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    When you talk about "fasting" do you you mean you do not eat anything for long periods of time." Does that benefit you? :grey_question::grey_question::grey_question:
    What are you eating during those other periods?
  • L0vAnj
    L0vAnj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    No because it leads me to eat whatever I can to reach my calorie count, I don't eat usually anything besides fluids until night 9-12pm so I'm scared if I keep it up i'll become unhealthy or sick.
  • L0vAnj
    L0vAnj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I still lose weight but don't have a lot of energy at times.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    There is no problem with fasting as long as you aren't binging when you break your fast.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    OP you may want to consider talking to your medical professional as what you've posted sounds like you've unintentionally developed a very disordered eating pattern.

Eating disorders are very complicated but there is lots of help available to help you figure out a better way to manage food.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So you eat all your food between 9 - 12pm and hit your calorie target

If that works for you then great .. it won't make you unhealthy or sick as long as you eating a wide nutritional spread and hitting your macros and calories within that 3 hour period

Meal timing is not really that relevant

If you are unhappy with it just extend the time slot you eat slowly - eg start eating at 8pm then 7pm until you readjust your habits
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,004 Member
    Options
    If you want to take in more calories throughout the day and drinking them is not a problem for you, what about smoothies?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    During that 9:00-12:00 window make sure that you are eating enough protein.
  • rl8301
    rl8301 Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Night time eating syndrome is tough. I wouldn't say it's not a problem.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    OP you may want to consider talking to your medical professional as what you've posted sounds like you've unintentionally developed a very disordered eating pattern.

Eating disorders are very complicated but there is lots of help available to help you figure out a better way to manage food.
    Just about what I was going to say, but I'm not sure that's going in the right direction.

@L0vanj, the question now is--when you say you reach your calorie goal during the short window, do you mean you reach 1200 or more calories?
  • SLLRunner
    edited June 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    If you want to take in more calories throughout the day and drinking them is not a problem for you, what about smoothies?

That's not a solution. She said eating has become a chore. It sounds like learning how to spread her food in a way that is comfortable for her is what's important.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    You're eating between 9 and 12, but getting all of your calories in? This is called intermittent fasting and wouldn't be a problem, EXCEPT:
    L0vAnj wrote: »

• SLLRunner
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You're eating between 9 and 12, but getting all of your calories in? This is called intermittent fasting and wouldn't be a problem, EXCEPT:
    L0vAnj wrote: »

And this, as well.

Energy is what keeps us going.

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    pre-log your foods the night before so that you have a reminder to eat.

also, it's okay if you're not hungry early in the day. many people aren't. you don't have to eat breakfast.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,004 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

That's not a solution. She said eating has become a chore. It sounds like learning how to spread her food in a way that is comfortable for her is what's important.

Right, and she could start spreading out her food with smoothies. I don't always feel like chewing but will never turn down a peanut butter and banana (and protein powder and egg) smoothie. Or a strawberry banana (and protein powder, chia seeds and egg) smoothie. I have the first for breakfast and the second for an afternoon snack.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Right, and she could start spreading out her food with smoothies. I don't always feel like chewing but will never turn down a peanut butter and banana (and protein powder and egg) smoothie. Or a strawberry banana (and protein powder, chia seeds and egg) smoothie. I have the first for breakfast and the second for an afternoon snack.

Okay, in your opinion, what are the benefits of smoothies over real food?

She's already stated that she's worried about eating food during a very small window due to decreased energy levels, therefore a sustainable solution would be to work on spreading the food she already eat throughout a larger time span until she feels her energy levels pick up. I love smoothies too, but they are not meant to be a meal replacement, but a snack.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Your low energy could be a result of the quality of the food (not getting enough iron etc) or some underlying medical issue than the fasting itself. I fast and find I have energy.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Your low energy could be a result of the quality of the food (not getting enough iron etc) or some underlying medical issue than the fasting itself. I fast and find I have energy.

This is very true.
  • tashigolean34
    tashigolean34 Posts: 12 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I intermittent fast low carb with excellent results and health markers. Low carb for me because I'm insulin resistant. Different strokes for different folks. The point is the OP needs to be getting adequate calories and nutrients during their feeding window.

[Edited by MFP Mods]
  • jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Okay, in your opinion, what are the benefits of smoothies over real food?

She's already stated that she's worried about eating food during a very small window due to decreased energy levels, therefore a sustainable solution would be to work on spreading the food she already eat throughout a larger time span until she feels her energy levels pick up. I love smoothies too, but they are not meant to be a meal replacement, but a snack.

If she isn't wanting to eat during the day, drinking a smoothie would give her nutrients - thus bringing her energy levels up. That is the benefit of smoothie. Not saying it is better than "real food" (p.s. I don't know what kind of "fake food" you make smoothies out of, but mine are made with milk, fruit, spinach, and sometimes nut butters), but I will help her keep her energy and spread out when she is getting calories.

And you can definitely make smoothies a meal replacement! Who says what I have to eat for meals? As long as they are filling, and you don't go over calories, why not?