Juicy oven baked chicken breast? Help!

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Oh one good recipe that I have for a super easy, one dish meal for chicken in the oven:

Cube some red potatoes, or sometimes I buy one of those bags that has red, gold and purple potatoes and cube those. Lay them in a row in 1/3 of a 9x13 pan.

Next to the potatoes lay four thin chicken breasts in a vertical row.

Next to the chicken add a vegetable of your choice. We use fresh green beans, but I've heard of people using broccoli, cauliflower, carrots...

Sprinkle a packet of good seasons Italian dressing mix (the powdered kind) over the whole dish then melt a stick of butter and pour over the whole thing.

Cover in foil and bake for 45 min at 350 degrees.

Super easy, my whole family eats it, I make it a lot now for when I need to take a meal to someone.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    HA just now found they returned our 'recent forum topics' section under our FL from 2014. So you bet I'll be bumping this..to see if it actually works or I'm dreaming. :D Well that ditty didn't last long. Least I bookmarked a couple thread quickly while it was still up.

I tried something in regards to making chicken breasts I'd never done before... they turned out so juicy, definitely my go to recipe now. Such a simple method.

Here's the actual recipe/instructions (the correct ones! sorry) ...any pan is fine. :)

How To Cook the Best Chicken Breasts in the Oven

Makes 1 or more chicken breasts

What You Need

Ingredients
    Butter or olive oil
    1 or more boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    Salt and pepper
    Other spices or seasonings

Equipment
    Baking dish
    Parchment paper

Instructions

Heat the oven to 400°F and prepare the pan: Heat the oven to 400°F with a rack in the middle position. Rub the pan and one side of the parchment paper with butter or olive oil; this prevents the chicken from sticking.

Prepare the chicken: Pat the chicken dry and rub with a little butter or olive oil, if desired. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and any other favorite seasonings.

Transfer to the baking dish:
    Place the chicken breasts in the baking dish, spaced slightly apart. You can also tuck herbs or lemon wedges around the chicken for extra flavor.

Cover with the parchment: Lay the parchment, butter-side down, over the chicken. Tuck the edges into the pan and press the parchment down so that it's snug around the chicken. The chicken breasts should be completely covered with the parchment.

Bake for 30 to 40 minutes: Transfer the chicken to the oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is completely opaque all the way through and registers 165°F on an instant-read thermometer.

Serve: Serve the chicken immediately, or let it cool and refrigerate for up to a week.

Enjoy !
    http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-the-best-chicken-breasts-in-the-oven-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-211453

@IzzyBooNZ1 :)

I use this method! It works great. Butter makes everything better.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I know you asked for oven baked, but why not grill it? I love to grill my chicken. It's quick, easy, you don't have to add anything to it except for seasoning, and no dishes.
  • arachnofobia7
    arachnofobia7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    To cook chicken breasts I use perched/greasproof paper. Just season it to your taste and wrap it up with the paper. Put on a pan (non sticky preferably) and ''fry'' it for about 8minutes turning from time to time.
  • kimjschroeder
    kimjschroeder Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    "I wrap it in foil before putting it into a baking pan (toss my herbs inside the foil as well) "

this sounds great. What temp and how long for 1 chicken breast?
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I pound mine with a hammer. LOL It sounds funny but it comes out fantastic.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    1 piece chicken breast+ 1 Tbsp light mayo+1 Tbsp wholewheat bread crumbs Baked at 350 for 26 minutes =Juicy Heaven

Or Sprinkle your chicken with S&P, garlic powder, onion powder, paprica and sear each side on medium heat for 2 minutes then bake in oven 350 for 15 minutes.

^ This. The mayo idea. You can also just use regular mayonaise and regular breadcrumbs. Either way it really does provide this cap on the meat that keeps all the moisture inside. It is a dramatic difference.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I pan sear my chicken breasts before putting it in the oven.

- Turn the heat on the skillet to mid-high, and let it get really hot
    - Salt/Pepper/Spice chicken breasts on one side
    - Lay breasts spice side down into the pan
    - Salt/Pepper/Spice other side
    - Wait for breasts to turn dark brown, and then flip
    - After both sides are dark brown, place into then oven on a broiling pan at 375 for around 25 minutes depending on thickness.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Since the most common mistake people make is over-cooking, start there. Do you know your oven? If you set it to 350, do you know what temperature it will be in there? If not, get yourself an oven thermometer (they're cheap!) and find out. Once you know the actual temp, you can do a little math and figure out where to set it so that it's actually 350 or 400 or whatever you want.

Some people set it to 350 and they're really baking at 300 or 425 or whatever. They don't know. Because nobody ever told them that ovens aren't always the temp they're supposed to be and NOT because "Oh, they're so dumb, hahaha, I'm so much smarter!"

Are you baking by time? It's the most common way and all the recipes will say, "Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes", but the best thing to do is to - and I'm not trying to be one of those crazy, nastypants baking jerks! - but the best way to bake something is to bake it until it's done and then take it out. Time isn't a very good gauge.

You'll know your chicken is done when it hits a temperature, not a time. If you follow most of the packages directions, you'll end up with dry, over-baked chicken. The temp at which everyone says you should pull it from the oven is 160. Lower than that, you risk all manner of diseases, etc. There are people who take it out sooner than that and haven't died yet, but that's the "safe" number.

You just use an accurate thermometer to check the temp. If you have the money for it, you can even get one with a cord, so you just plug it into the meat, set the temp on the box on the other end of the cord (it remains outside the oven) and the thing will beep softly or loudly (depending on your preference) when it hits the right temp. (Those bad boy thermometers can also be set to beep when something drops to a lower temp, too, if that's something you ever need to do.) But you needn't spend that kind of money to get a thermometer. There are cheap and accurate ones out there.

Most people go way over even 160 with their time estimates, so even 160 would be a huge improvement.

If you haven't yet, try checking the oven and using a thermometer. I bet your chicken will be a lot juicier. :)
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    thanks and yes I was totally oblivious to this being old, ooops !
  • PneumaVision
    PneumaVision Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Obtain the freshest of banana leaves, wrap the chicken in them, place wrapped chicken in hole at least two feet deep lined with glowing coals of acacia wood, cover with more coals, cover with moist earth, and cook for twenty-seven minutes. Or--- do as I do and toss the whole thing it a pot of boiling water.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    IzzyBooNZ1 wrote: »
    thanks and yes I was totally oblivious to this being old, ooops !
    @IzzyBooNZ1
    No worries because actually it came up magically under my FL the other day...this thread and all the others from before the 'upgrade'. I have no clue why the past forums I had posted in showed up one minute and were gone as quick as they came. Maybe they're trying to fix something and weird things are showing up.

I snagged as many threads as I could to bookmark and reread but only managed a couple before my magic 2014 'pre-upgrade' disappeared again. lol

Plus what the heck, the threads gotten some great replies and ppl are posting ideas in it again for who ever needs them. :)
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I wrap it in foil before putting it into a baking pan (toss my herbs inside the foil as well)

I question the safety of cooking food in foil at all.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I wrap it in foil before putting it into a baking pan (toss my herbs inside the foil as well)

Why?

• IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    thanks !
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Why?

This^^

I've never heard of someone being scared to cook with tinfoil. Just don't accidentally bite down on it if you have fillings. Oh the horror - I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemies.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Why?

This^^

I've never heard of someone being scared to cook with tinfoil. Just don't accidentally bite down on it if you have fillings. Oh the horror - I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemies.

It's the concern over aluminum leaching into the food. http://saveourbones.com/stop-doing-this-with-aluminum-foil/ I just Googled as I knew I'd heard something about it a number of times in healthy mags and such.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yes, there are concerns about aluminum. I never use it for anything but tenting bread (or other things that need tenting) and wrapping around plastic wrap before freezing, so I never paid much attention to it.

But there is discussion and some people have stopped wrapping food in it before they bake it or whatever.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Buy chicken breasts with bone in....not boneless. Preheat oven to 375*. Get a large skillet hot,not smokin. Using one (1) tsp flour with S&P added,sprinkle chicken on one side with the flour mix.Add Pam to skillet,add chicken flour side down. Cook till golden brown,turn & repeat with other side.5-10 minutes per side.You can use a lid....your choice.I do.
    When golden brown on both sides,remove lid,put skillet in oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven,cover with a towel or foil,let rest 10 minutes .Enjoy!