Too much water???

Options
Hi,
Since I started trying to dring atleast 8 cups/glasses of water daily, I see that I am having a temptation to increase the water intake further.

Questions I have for the experts: is there anything like drinking too much of it? Is there anything I should be worried about?

TIA,

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and increase it! Especially if it's warm where you are or if you are working out!

While it's true that you can get too much water and create a dangerous imablance of electrolytes, it's very hard to do. You 'd have to drink a few gallons within an hour or two to accomplish that.
  • ladybug1009
    ladybug1009 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    While it's true that you can get too much water and create a dangerous imablance of electrolytes, it's very hard to do. You 'd have to drink a few gallons within an hour or two to accomplish that.

This!

I try to increase my water intake daily and when I do (of course you'll pee more often) but you'll feel more refreshed! But like PP said, you would have to drink an awful amount in a short amount of time in order for your kidneys to hurt.
  • poppyloganriley
    poppyloganriley Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who had to be hospitalized for drinking too much water. She did major damage to her body.... that said, she wad drinking a gallon at a time, chugging it down and then drinking another like an hour later, and did this for months and months before she noticed a problem. Just don't go crazy overboard like she did!
  • crunchymommy
    crunchymommy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It IS possible to get overhydrated, resulting in "water intoxication." Basically, a person can overdilute the electrolytes in the bloodstream. This is actually very dangerous and can result in death! (Extreme cases - I remember reading about a hazing where this happened.)

I'm not sure how one makes sure they aren't crossing this threshold, but It's probably waaay more than 8 glasses of water per day. Remember, 8 glasses is rather arbitrary and the real amount each person needs is going to vary by their size and activity level as well as their environment - hot? dry?

One study of laboring women found that drinking electrolyte-containing beverages instead of plain water prevented water intoxication. HTH!
  • mustangurl
    mustangurl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    if you are active it is recommended to get more than the 8 glasses. heres an article from the mayo clinic..

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    My mom (a nurse) and I were just talking about this yesterday. You'd have to drink a LARGE amt of water for anything bad to happen. If your losing fat, more water (than the 8 your drinking now) will only help clean out your body! Go for it. I finally increased my water as of yesterday and drank 15 8 oz cups and am fine today
  • MotherofDREAMS
    Options
    I drink about 16 cups a day & have had No problems.
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    was told by my doc while losing weight to have a minimum of 8 cups a day and up to 12
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I have been told to drink an ounce of water for every 2 pounds of body weight. (not desired body weight, but ACTUAL body weight :) ) For me at 165 pounds I am drinking 8 -9 glasses of water daily. However, IF I am thirsty, I drink more. If I am working outside (like car repairs yesterday) or just plain working out, I drink even more. It is not uncommon for me to log 12 - 14 8 oz glasses of water in a day.

From ABOUT.com:
    The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.
  • kumarprabhat
    kumarprabhat Posts: 116
    Options
    Thanx all for replying. The responses bring relief to me. :smile:

India is a tropical country and is generally warm throughout teh year. I have been working out quite rigorously as well. But I don't think I can drink gallon at a time. That would be too much to ask from myself. :laugh:

Thanx again all!