Do you see any other positive changes in your life besides weight loss?

Options
bellcait
bellcait Posts: 18 Member
I'd like to know if anyone has seen improvements in different parts of their lives as they go along their weight loss journey, aside from the obvious health benefits.

I'll start - I notice myself becoming a much better cook! I was never Betty Crocker in the kitchen, usually opting for cereal or a microwaveable meal. Since starting MFP, I realized I have much more control over my calorie intake if I just cook meals myself. After a bit of practice, I'm suddenly making these delicious dinners for me & my boyfriend!

I also get more stuff done in an average day. I work from home, so whenever I'm feeling burnt out, instead of grabbing a snack and turning the TV on, I'll do something to burn a few calories like clean the bathroom or run errands in town. My "to do" list has shortened dramatically and my apartment has never been cleaner :smile:

What weird changes in your life do you notice that you attribute to your new healthy lifestyle?

Replies

• xkitxkatxkaix
    xkitxkatxkaix Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Ditto!
    I started cooking and cleaning more mostly because I finally found the energy to do it all and it felt amazing doing it. Not only that but I started doing the "S" word.....

Shopping! Once I lost a bunch of weight I discovered that I had a very unique sense of style (not to mention confidence) and I loved it! It was kind of like discovering me in a way. I suddenly found myself trying out new ideas and taking my own version of a fashion risk and rocking it out instead of hiding behind layer after layer of clothing. That was probably the most amazing thing of all. :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I stopped taking crap from people.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    Aside from the fact that I have so much extra energy, even though I train hard 1-2 times a day 6 days a week, I am loving my muscles. They keep growing in so many places and I get so excited when I find a new one peaking through the diminishing layer of protective fat. Oh, and I've also been pretty strong, but now I am even stronger. I keep picking my 30+kg dog up, just because I can. He is not so keen on this plan though.
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Being more positive about myself, stepping outside the comfort zone with fitness
  • Up2Me2017
    Up2Me2017 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    More energy to run with my kids! I fell off my routine but its time to get back at it and feel even better when i can chase them further.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Spending more time with people I want to spend time with and making new friends/acquaintances x
  • DocChelle
    DocChelle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used to get migraines a lot, like at least twice a week. I have only had 2 since January (started in December). Not sure if it's from the actual weight loss, from drinking more water or from the actual dietary changes, but I'm happy about it either way.
  • 2ledbetter
    2ledbetter Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Getting stronger, waking up earlier and ready to start my day, wearing makeup/earrings more, wanting to be intament with my husband more often, smiling when I see myself in the mirror, not dreading the camera.
  • dogcatac
    dogcatac Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    i am thriftier. i started couponing and looking for deals at the grocery store. it's making my relationship stronger as well. my fiance and i spend time cooking, lifting, playing tennis, hiking and walking together. much better than just sitting and staring at a screen all night. i have more energy to do extra stuff. my house is cleaner, my job performance has improved and my interpersonal skills seem to be thriving because i am more confident and just in a better mood. my dog is happier cause he gets to go walking and hiking with us. oh and my skin is just glowing
  • jamileed
    jamileed Posts: 9 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I've only lost 40 since having my baby 1 year ago & 29 since starting to watch my calories ( april ). I love kale smoothies , I never would have even thought about drinking a veggie, I am totally addicted to them. I'm not great at cooking healthy but I love knowing I'm putting something healthy into my body. I'm getting out & doing stuff with my kiddos like jumping on the trampoline, trying to run lol, & actually playing with them more. I feel depressed if I don't workout in the morning. I find that I can't sit still anymore. And the #1 weird thing is I love cchectking myself out in the mirror which before would usually cause a anxiety attack.
  • pariskathryn
    pariskathryn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm a trichotillomaniac (impulse disorder where I pull my body hair out), but since exercising and eating better I've stopped almost completely. Which is crazy to me- just a few months ago I would spend literal HOURS a night pulling hair from my legs!
  • hvjc
    hvjc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am a faster cyclist, I am happier (mood has improved) and I feel less self-conscious with my kids when talking about weight (I walk the talk when it comes to healthy living).
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    More sex.
  • MargaretLunan
    MargaretLunan Posts: 5,299 Member
    Options
    a year and a half ago i was told i was diabedic last blood work was below the point that i was. still on medecation but getting better. reduced blood pressure meds, still a long way to go but making great steps towards better health. so a longer life with my family
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I love that I'm more athletic & confident now. I'd always wanted to learn to surf and finally tried it recently and paddled out and and popped up on the board each try no problem! This wouldn't have been the case before I was in shape!
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Oh man I love this thread. These kind of things have been so much of why I've kept with MFP/P90x3. I just feel so much better. I finally beat 12 min/mi pace a month or so ago in the 2+ mile morning run i do occasionally. Then yesterday I beat 11 min/mi (I think I've done an 11 min mile once, maybe twice in my life?). Both times I think i got a slight runner's high and I felt so good the rest of the day. It was like having my mood be mainly positive instead of mainly negative. I want to get to feeling like this more often.

When I had some time to myself or wanted to celebrate something my default was "lemme find something good to eat". But this reflex is starting to fade and I start to look for other things to do.
    Ditto!
    I started cooking and cleaning more mostly because I finally found the energy to do it all and it felt amazing doing it. Not only that but I started doing the "S" word.....

Shopping! Once I lost a bunch of weight I discovered that I had a very unique sense of style (not to mention confidence) and I loved it! It was kind of like discovering me in a way. I suddenly found myself trying out new ideas and taking my own version of a fashion risk and rocking it out instead of hiding behind layer after layer of clothing. That was probably the most amazing thing of all. :)
    Both of these. I remember reading about this woman who went through an experimental depression treatment and she suddenly felt like doing things. Accomplishing things. The way I'm feeling now reminds me of what she described. I let my house stay a wreck for a couple of months which I never thought I'd let myself do but nowadays I actually want to clean and keep things tidy.

And shopping is something I enjoy doing now. I actually stay and try on pants until I find the ones that fit the best, instead of just trying to get out of the store as fast as I can.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I spend a lot more time on my to do list now as well. I definitely have more energy to get stuff done and that is great. I spend more time playing with my son, and its much easier to get up if I sit on the floor with him.

Shopping is much more fun, it was always a nightmare previously. I can order things online now or just take them off the rack and know that they will fit me vs having to try on everything because I was so picky about clothing before.

People definitely treat me differently. They hold doors open, make eye contact, strike up conversations with me or a friendly hello as I walk by. It's a nice change.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Higher self esteem, sunnier moods, far less negative self talk - all as a consequence of knowing that I'm taking better care of myself.
  • Gena_Beana
    Gena_Beana Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I find that my memory has improved, almost like lifting a fog of cloud from my brain. I have a lot more energy, and as stated by other members I do a lot more around the house like projects, etc. My skin and hair have more luster, this could be from the fact that I drink only water now. I find that now that I'm losing weight I just want to do more, and be more. My whole attitude has improved. I don't dwell so much on particular circumstances in my past.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!