shin splints!

Options
During my workout today, I had a HORRIBLE case of what I think were shin splints! Anyone have any advice on how to get rid of and prevent shin splints?!?!

Thanks!

Replies

• jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Shin Splints are caused by a variety of reasons. Bad form, poor or worn out footwear, running on hard or uneven surfaces or excessive usage.

How old are your shoes? Anything with over 300 miles should be pitched. Running involves wear out and stop supporting your foot properly.

Are they the right shoes? Everyone walks, or runs differently. Don't go with cheap shoes either. You inflict a great deal of impact, bargain basement shoes don't hold up. Go to a professional running shop (Running Room, Fleet Feet etc) and have them assess your Gait. The will tell you which shoes are appropriate for you and why (do you pronate, do you suppinate or are you neutral, do you need Motion Control, Stability, or Neutral shoes) You may pay a little extra for shoes, but thats better than a lot of extra pain and the eventual quitting of running.

Moving right along, How much are you running? and how fast did you get there? Shin Splints are often called an overusage injury. Usually comes from people doing to much too soon. You should never increase your mileage by no more than 10% per week. If you do 10 miles this week, you should only do 11 next week, 12.1 the week after.

For treatment, Take a dixie cup, fill it with water and freeze it. Four times a day, take it and massage your shins where it hurts for 15 minutes at a time. Also dig your thumbs in and massage the area. If it hurts alot... congrats, you are doing it right. Deep tissue massage is very helpful in helping to heal the shin splint. You could also look into a foam roller or "the stick" for massaging the area.

Prevention -> Cut back your running until the shin splints are gone and try to run on softer level surfaces. I would suggest using an elliptical for the next week or finding some other cardio while they heal up.

When you are ready to start running again, do some warm ups for about 5 minutes to make sure your muscles are properly warmed up (jumping jacks, walking etc), then do some dynamic stretching. When you are ready to run, be prepared to listen to your body. Don't ignore it. Ignoring it could lead to worse shin splints, stress fractures or compression syndrome.

When you finish your workout, it is very important to do static stretching. This helps the muscles heal and retain their elasticity after a workout. It keeps them from tightening up.

Finally, it doesn't hurt after the workout, after the stretching to do a simple course of R.I.C.E. Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation.

I would also recommend that you get moving as soon after your workout as possible...(after the R.I.C.E) Go for a walk, stretch the legs and keep moving. It helps to get blood flowing thru the strained areas and speeds up healing.

Good Luck!
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Back in high school when I ran track, I got them ALL the time. Best thing is stretching & ice. I would fill styrofoam cups w/ water & put them in the freezer & then ice away at 'em.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Were you running? If so, you may have a bad form.

Shin splints just means that you haven't worked those muscles as much before and you started to build up some lactic acid. I believe like most things it just takes time to build up those muscles.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Stretch both before and after a workout. Try to stretch sometime during the day as well. Ice them a couple times and before bed, apply muscle rub. I get them often too.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    www.runnersworld.com/cda/toolscontent/0,7156,s6-241-290-291-529-0,00.html?toolName=What%20Hurts?

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-241-286-289-12604-0,00.html
  • nursegessica
    Options
    Everybody is different. Most of the time it is time for new shoes or a need for some inserts. In my case, it was my bad ankle rolling in on me when I walk/jog. I got an ankle brace and problem solved. Now I have found that my new Asics running shoes support me really well. No more shin splints.
    Be sure you're stretching before and after exercise. Be sure you're properly hydrated.
    Some people have said that hot or cold therapy helps (heating pad or ice packs).

Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I've been suffering with some pretty bad shin splints myself. I'm training for a few races this summer, so cutting back in training isn't really an option. I've done so a bit the past few days, but that's mostly because my race is Thursday.

Besides the aftercare stuff (ice, rest, forcing my boyfriend to rub my shins, etc) and the expensive stuff (getting better running shoes), I found that the thing that has been the best for me is not being afraid to stop if it hurts.

This was the best advice I've received. If your legs hurt too much while you're running, and you're not in a race, don't just run through it. Allow yourself to stop and do some walking or static stretches until you're ready to go again. If you're training, the stopping is really no harm, no foul. It's all about taking care of yourself.

I do a few stretches that help. I take a lunge position, but then I straighten my front leg. I also take an exercise band, hook it around the ball of my foot and pull while pointing through it. Toe-pointing stretches have worked great for me.

I'm not a fitness expert by any means, by the way. This is just what I do that's worked for me!
  • Brookelee30
    Brookelee30 Posts: 102
    Options
    What do shin splints feel like? I am getting a painful tightness in the muscles around my shins and don't know if that is what I have or not :0)
  • Brookelee30
    Brookelee30 Posts: 102
    Options
    Thanks
  • hayley_m
    hayley_m Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    im glad i found this!! ive been suffering for days....i want to keep exercising but they hurt sooooo bad!!
  • CarolynRoe930
    CarolynRoe930 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I'm thinking I could maybe use some new shoes. I bought mine at a local running shop a year or two ago, but maybe it's time for new ones. I've tried stretching, and I am working up gradually. I'm hoping the running shop will have some ideas! :)