It's my first day today!

Options
yurita87
yurita87 Posts: 18 Member
Hiii! It's my first day of trying to lose some weight! It's not much, I think about 5kgs, but I wanna lose them by exercising more than not eating. I'll try to eat healthy and stay as away as possible from bread after 2:00pm, exercise at least 1:00 hour a day, three days a week and forget about cakes, cupcakes and chocolates for at least a full month. How does that sound? Anyone wanna join me?

Replies

• Marthy101
    Marthy101 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! Exercise is the way to go. Well, you can't eat ice cream sundaes every day, of course! I'd like to eat for health, and hope lbs come off too. So many scary chemicals in proceeded food!! I've been overeating a bit of late, though.
    OK, I am now going to get off the couch and do an at- home workout!! (Weights). I just need a kick in the butt...
    Good luck, way to go & this site is awesome! So many resources !
  • yurita87
    yurita87 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes! My boyfriend is a big fan of this site he logs every single thing he eats and keeps himself quite fit, he says it's thanks to this. So I'm gonna give it a try. Baby steps mean a lot, for lent I gave up pizzas, burgers, crisps and sodas and not only did I lose some weight but I also saved money. Being healthy changes your life in many ways :-)
    I'll try to get better every day.
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    Best of luck...in reality diet is the most important in changing your weight. Small changes are a good way to go though.
  • 50before37
    50before37 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It is my first day too! Have some 30+lbs to lose! Have to start eating healthy!
  • 50before37
    50before37 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I read that it is 60% diet and 40% exercise. My main goal will be to eat healthy first. And supplement with exercise.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    yurita87 wrote: »
    Hiii! It's my first day of trying to lose some weight! It's not much, I think about 5kgs, but I wanna lose them by exercising more than not eating. I'll try to eat healthy and stay as away as possible from bread after 2:00pm, exercise at least 1:00 hour a day, three days a week and forget about cakes, cupcakes and chocolates for at least a full month. How does that sound? Anyone wanna join me?

Dietary changes are easier than adding exercise. It takes a lot longer to burn off 300 calories than it does to skip 300 calories of food. Crash diets aren't successful, but creating a small calorie deficit is.

Sources:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/expert-answers/weight-loss/faq-20058292 makes the generalizations, but links to two very relevant studies:
    Pinto AM, et al. Successful weight-loss maintenance in relation to method of weight loss. Obesity. 2008;16:2456.
    Redman LM, et al. Effect of calorie restriction with or without exercise on body composition and fat distribution. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2007;92:865.

If studies aren't your thing, here's a great article from the NYT that summarizes several studies. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/upshot/to-lose-weight-eating-less-is-far-more-important-than-exercising-more.html?abt=0002&abg=0
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    50before36 wrote: »
    I read that it is 60% diet and 40% exercise. My main goal will be to eat healthy first. And supplement with exercise.

Probably even more than that really. Can't be emphasised enough how important diet is, especially when training!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking this first step!

A few things to consider:
    1. You will not lose 5 kg in a month when you are this close to your goal weight. It is sometimes possible and healthy for seriously obese people to lose that quickly, but not when you are only 5 kg overweight.
    2. If you keep a small deficit, you will lose. You may want to be more practical about how long it will take to lose, though.
    3. In order to have a calorie deficit, it is easier to eat less than to exercise more. Others have pointed this out, but I think it is important to notice that you have already started taking some steps towards eating fewer calories by cutting calorie dense and nutrient poor foods (pizza, cupcakes, etc.). That is a good start, but don't forget to log everything you eat. Be as precise as possible (use a food scale to ensure more precise logging).
    4. Log your exercise, and eat some of the calories you are burning when exercising (assuming you will be burning a large number of calories). Otherwise, you don't get the nutrients you need.
    5. Hydrate. Newbies often overlook this, so it is worth mentioning.

Good luck!