Help preparing for 10km run

Options
Hello my dear fellow MFP members!

I have applied for a 10km run on 3rd September.
I would like to have the best time possible (but not die in the process).
I need your help and advice! Today I can run 20mins without stopping, and make it to some 2.5km in that time.
I know that is really slow (jogging) and really lame (I have started only recently)... but I really wanted to have some motivation and I know I can do this!
I am 5´7´´ and weight 129lbs, age 24 and female, and I do weight training and jogging 3x per week. But as I said, this is more like recreational jogging... now Im ready to do some serious work!
I am ready to do more! Do you have any advice on how I should proceed?
Start to slowly up my distance till 10km and in the meantime work on my speed? That does sound like the logical way, but I am not an experienced runner and that is why I am asking for advice.

Thanks to everyone for advice in advance!

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    you can google "10k training plan for beginners" and that may help you out alot :) good luck!!
  • misjes1
    misjes1 Posts: 18
    Options
    You should increase your distance at 10% per week. I normally do 3 "normal runs" per week and one longer run on one of the weekend days. When I prepared for the half marathon, I only worked up to 11 miles. I knew that if I can do 11 miles, 13.2 will come easy on the day of the race. Now, I only worked on distance and not necesssarily on speed.
  • katmacmt
    katmacmt Posts: 1
    Options
    A good way to increase your jogging is to run/walk. There are lots of schools of thought out there about this method, but what worked best for me is to run until I felt like i needed to quit, then took a 5 minute walk break. The breaks eventually went to 3, 2, 1 minute and then i just kept running. I did my first 10k last year and am planning a 1/2 marathon this year. Good luck and enjoy.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into the Bridge to 10k program?

http://blog.c25kapp.com/about-bridge-to-10k/

The first week has you run 10 minutes, walk one minute, repeated 4 times. Since you're at 20 minutes now, you might want to back up a bit and do 10 minutes three times, or maybe even 5 minutes 6-8 times, for the first week, then start in the program.

I wouldn't worry at all about the speed. Zombies aren't coming after you. Yet. :wink:

You'll probably find that you run faster on race day. Endorphins do wonderful things, and passing people is a great rush. I'd try to squeeze in some 5k races before your 10k, just to get a feel for how a race feels.
  • rickydeuce
    rickydeuce Posts: 80
    Options
    Interval training on a treadmill will help as well. Don't just focus on the distance.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into the Bridge to 10k program?

http://blog.c25kapp.com/about-bridge-to-10k/

The first week has you run 10 minutes, walk one minute, repeated 4 times. Since you're at 20 minutes now, you might want to back up a bit and do 10 minutes three times, or maybe even 5 minutes 6-8 times, for the first week, then start in the program.

I wouldn't worry at all about the speed. Zombies aren't coming after you. Yet. :wink:

You'll probably find that you run faster on race day. Endorphins do wonderful things, and passing people is a great rush. I'd try to squeeze in some 5k races before your 10k, just to get a feel for how a race feels.

I'd second this - judging by my experience of the C25K initial programme, and having looked at the bridge to 10k one, it seems about the right place to start for you
  • crunchymommy
    crunchymommy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I suggest Podrunner Intervals. They have a "gateway to 8k" and a "bridge to 10K" program for your mp3 player that help you build up gradually. I'll be finishing "gateway to 8k" next week! http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html

Let us know how you do!! Best wishes - YOU can DO this!
  • bmfrazie
    bmfrazie Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    How many days a week are you planning on running/jogging? It is best to look up a training program for 10k if you don't know what you are doing. I could give you lots of tips but am not really sure about many details that directly apply to your running goals.
  • thebomb4
    thebomb4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hey!!

I also have a 10KM race approaching (in 3 weeks time to be exact.) I'm 5 ft 8 and weigh in at 160lbs, I have only ever completed 2 other 10km races and finished in 62 mins both times. I wasn't really training for them and only ever ran 5km before the race (i almost fainted both times which wasn't good!).

This time round I've been running approx 4 times a week and I vary from 5-7km so far but i'm hoping to get up to 8-9 before the race itself. On the days I don't run I work out on the cross-trainer and enjoy step aerobics, my legs are quite strong.

You can google proper training schedules and gradually work on your endurance so I suggest you do it that way seen as you have plenty time before your race.

Oh and good luck, i'm sure you'll do well if you keep pushing yourself :)

Stace
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing a 10k training program I downloaded from itunes, called the nike 10k mix. It involves a 5 minute gentle run to warm up, then 4 minutes of faster endurance running, then 5 sets of sprints, one minute fast, followed by one minute of slow jogging to recover, before another sprint. Repeat x 5. Then 2 minutes recovery (slow, but keep running), 8 minutes of fast endurance running again, then another set of sprints, one minute on, one minute off. Then a 3 minute cool down just running at an easy pace.

It is really tough, I am used to running for an hour, and although this only takes 40 minutes (I cover 8km doing it), I am always knackered by the end.

The good thing about it is that you work at your own level and within your own fitness, and can push yourself as much or little as you feel you can on the sprints.

I don't know if it's making me faster, I'll have to wait until my race on June 19th to find out!
  • joelpowell
    joelpowell Posts: 2
    Options
    You should concentrate on setting a steady pace perhaps a seven minutes per mile. This is the best way to decrease your time because you are looking at segments instead of the overall race. You can do this at shorter distances and learn to set a good pace. I caution you that if you push to hard to quickly you are risking injury.
  • lindavie
    lindavie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started running last year as a complete novice,and this year I am running a series of 10k runs over the summer. I'm not a fast runner but I can tell you how I've been training.

I try to get out 3/4 times a week 1 long slow run on a weekend where I just concentrate on increasing my distance, I started doing about 3k and gradually increased each time, I now go about 11/12k on a weekend. Then during the week I do 30min speed work or hill training sessions, I joined a running club so I have other people to run with and when I really don't feel like running it motivates me to get out.

Don't be too hard on yourself though some weekends I just can't run far at all!! lol
    Happy running and good luck x
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I would say to focus on distance first over speed. Speaking personally, I would rather finish the race and have to walk some of it, than snap off a fast 5K off the top and then be too cooked to finish the race!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    At this point your biggest benefit will come from running lots of miles easy to develop your aerobic system and strengthen your muscles, tendons, and bones. Work your way up to running 5 times a week with a weekly mileage of around 30 miles. Do one long run a week of around 12 miles. Build up to these goals incrementally week by week so your body adapts to the increased workload.

Don't worry about speed work right now as you need to develop a strong aerobic capacity first so that you can endure the kind of speedwork that leads to improvement. Your bones, muscles, and tendons also need time to develop so you don't injure them when pushing really hard. So, spend at least 12 weeks just building mileage first.

However, you can add hill sprints in right from the beginning if you want. The will help develop a strong stride and strengthen the legs to protect against injury. http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=15737
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You should concentrate on setting a steady pace perhaps a seven minutes per mile. This is the best way to decrease your time because you are looking at segments instead of the overall race. You can do this at shorter distances and learn to set a good pace. I caution you that if you push to hard to quickly you are risking injury.

Seven minutes per mile?! That's 8.6 mph! If you've been running track since junior high... yeah, I can see that as a goal. But for the average non-athlete newbie-runner, that's way too fast. :wink:
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I do 7.6mph now... on a treadmill... for 18mins approx.
    Ok Im gonna focus on my endurance and distance, and slowly increase it. Im sure I can do this... Ill check out that program!
    Thank you everyone for advice. I think my worst enemy is over-enthusiasm and taking it too fast.