I still have a lot of body fat despite major weight loss??

Options
13»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    mom2kpr wrote: »
    AcerPink23 wrote: »
    So I should be consuming 190g or so of protein? :worried:

No. To calculate your protein you need to use you weight in kg x .8 (190/2.2=86, 86*.8=69. So 69 is the minimum you should take in. If you increase your exercise or start strength training, you can increase it 86*1.2=103.

Nope, it's .8* bodyweight in pounds, as referenced by the posters above.

It is not based on pounds, it is based on kg. This is based on the DRI (Dietary Reference Intake) which is the standard used in the USA & Canada.

RDI is based on minimums and the 0.8 is based on lbs.

US doesn't use kg so that should have been your first clue you are not correct.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    In to find later. I have the same issue as OP.
  • workhardtogethard
    workhardtogethard Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

No. To calculate your protein you need to use you weight in kg x .8 (190/2.2=86, 86*.8=69. So 69 is the minimum you should take in. If you increase your exercise or start strength training, you can increase it 86*1.2=103.

It is not based on pounds, it is based on kg. This is based on the DRI (Dietary Reference Intake) which is the standard used in the USA & Canada.

I came across a US-based study on PubMed that used kg. I'm personally relieved because that 0.8 figure based on lbs would not be reasonably attainable for me.
  • workhardtogethard
    workhardtogethard Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Oh, and for anyone interested…that study mentions that a calorie-restricted diet containing 1.05-1.25g of protein per kg of bodyweight was more beneficial for retaining muscle mass than one having less than 0.7g. The study is focused on menopausal women, though, so there's that. :D
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Seems like there is some good advice here about protein and strength training. Good luck with your current goals. And, seriously, nice work on losing 100+ pounds!
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options

I came across a US-based study on PubMed that used kg. I'm personally relieved because that 0.8 figure based on lbs would not be reasonably attainable for me.

That's just it - basing it on lbs is unobtainable for a lot of people. When I started I weighed 225, so .9 - 1 g would've been 180-225, that is way to much for the 1500-1600 calories I was eating.
    I doesn't matter that I live in the Us & we us lbs, in this case you need to adjust to kg to get accurate protien intake. It is the guideline for DRI (daily recommended intake) and it is set by American nutritionists for dietiticians to use with their clients.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options

That same study, in its lit review, noted: Diets higher in protein have been associated with greater fat-free mass retention than diets lower in protein during caloric restriction (12). In premenopausal women, loss of lean mass per kilogram of fat mass lost during a 10-week hypocaloric diet was reduced in those consuming a higher protein (1.6 vs 0.8 g/kg body weight/day) diet, suggesting an improvement in the use of fat for energy resulting in the sparing of lean mass (16).

I think it's from those data on which the .8g/lb (not /kg) recommendation was based.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    @sixxpoint has a long list of sources which all seem to agree that somewhere in the 0.6 - 0.8g of protein per pound of body weight is a reasonable target for retaining muscle mass while losing weight.

So at 190 lbs, that would indicate a range of 114 - 152 g per day
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

That's just it - basing it on lbs is unobtainable for a lot of people. When I started I weighed 225, so .9 - 1 g would've been 180-225, that is way to much for the 1500-1600 calories I was eating.
    I doesn't matter that I live in the Us & we us lbs, in this case you need to adjust to kg to get accurate protien intake. It is the guideline for DRI (daily recommended intake) and it is set by American nutritionists for dietiticians to use with their clients.

As I recall - the DRI minimum recommended comes with the caveat that that recommendation is the BARE MINIMUM needed for essential body functions only. Any sort of activity increases that recommendation.
  • genki90
    genki90 Posts: 94 Member
    Options

^this! I'll have to agree with mom2kpr

and here are some more links, supporting the 0.8g per kg protein intake!
    http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/fnic/interactiveDRI/ this is a DRI calculator, it is much more reliable than the ones in bodybuilding sites and the ones set from companies that try to sell protein shakes, powders etc. (yes, your life has been a lie)

https://www.iom.edu/Reports/2002/Dietary-Reference-Intakes-for-Energy-Carbohydrate-Fiber-Fat-Fatty-Acids-Cholesterol-Protein-and-Amino-Acids.aspx and a light book on macros
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

As I recall - the DRI minimum recommended comes with the caveat that that recommendation is the BARE MINIMUM needed for essential body functions only. Any sort of activity increases that recommendation.

Exactly. If you workout consistantly or lift weights, you can increase up to 1.8g per weight in kg. The point I'm trying get across is us your weight in kg not lbs.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Protein guideline generally speaking is 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass, not of total body weight. So if you're 190 and 45% body fat, then that would mean to target roughly between 85-105g of protein per day. Adjust for your real numbers.

And of course, you need to strength train; adding more protein alone won't do anything to preserve muscle mass if you're not strength training.

But in general, I agree with what @SergeantSausage said: You still have more fat to lose, so keep calm and carry on. You've done amazing so far, what you're doing is working, so keep at it. You'll get there.