Weightloss Smoothies

Options
FatPixiee
FatPixiee Posts: 59 Member
So I got a magic bullet knockoff for xmas and I've tried a few fruit combinations, but I was wondering if anyone knew of some decent smoothies that are good for weight and even meal replacement. I know I asked this about shakes already, but I want to know what fruits and other things to blend together that would be healthy, low cal, and keep me full for a while. If you know of a recipe or a good site for this sort of thing I'd so appreciate it. Oh yeah, it doesn't have to be fruit either, just anything that can be made with my little blender.

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I sometimes make them with baby spinach, cucumber, cantaloupe or honeydew, pineapple....and another green like kale or romaine. If I use a banana I only use half because it's a calorie dense fruit and it has a really strong flavor. Berries are good too. Using berries though may make the color weird. Lol.

Basically any combo will do. I try to be heavier on the veggies and lighter on the fruit because Fruits have more calories...
  • Jen2133
    Jen2133 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I followed the Body Reset by Harley Pasterkak and really liked the smoothie recipes he provided. He has a number of books that you might enjoy - great ideas for using smoothies as meal replacements for weight loss, and healthy snacks, too.
  • JBNL
    JBNL Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i have one every morning for breakfast

a scoop of vanilla myofusion
    3 tbsp of hemp hearts
    1 tbsp of chia seeds
    1 tbsp of raw cacoa nibs
    .5 c raspberries, strawberries, or cherries
    and some frozen spinach

i add almond milk to the consistency i want

pretty filling with lots of fiber and protein
  • egorre
    egorre Posts: 72 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    not sure about "weightloss smoothies" but i've switched to smoothies as a breakfast replacement. it keeps me full until lunch time so it's working for me. i use protein powder as base. it's a very good excuse to drink have desert for breakfast. :smiley:

here's what i have at the moment:
    nutri ninja pro (900) + the 24 oz cup

breakfast smoothie:
    1 serving chocolate protein powder
    115g frozen strawberries
    1 serving (85g) frozen broccoli
    1 serving (81g) frozen spinach
    125g celery
    175-200g apple
    1 cup vanilla soy milk (only around 80-90 cal each + low in added sugars. always read the label)
    ice cubes. depends on how much can the cup can take after grinding everything up.

i substitute apple with bananas, grapes or combine them from time to time.
    i also sometimes change broccoli to kale (depends on availability)
    and celerey to frozen carrots.

for me it's not about recipe. the whatever protein powder i use always overpowers everything i put. except that one time i accidentally doubled my kale serving at around 150g. that was disgusting lol. it was very leafy and it tasted too healthy. i was able to finish it but never again will i make that mistake. the taste of the fruits you put in will definitely be there but the after taste will always be whatever flavor your protein powder you used.

the smoothie is around 380-475 cals each. most of the calories comes from protein powder. right now i use a 150 calorie powder.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    My favorite is:

2 cups spinach
    1/2 banana
    1 cup strawberries
    1/2 tablespoon crystal light (strawberry and banana flavor)
    crystal light ice cubes.

1 scoop protein powder (optional)

I try to keep mine at 100 calories but if using for a meal I'll add the protein powder)

I was making this is a regular blender but just got a nutria ninja and what an amazing difference!! So creamy and smooth.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    JBNL wrote: »
    i have one every morning for breakfast

a scoop of vanilla myofusion
    3 tbsp of hemp hearts
    1 tbsp of chia seeds
    1 tbsp of raw cacoa nibs
    .5 c raspberries, strawberries, or cherries
    and some frozen spinach

i add almond milk to the consistency i want

pretty filling with lots of fiber and protein

This sounds really good!

Just pointing out to the OP, though: Make sure you're calculating these correctly. This, for example comes out to a 500+ calorie smoothie, which may or may not meet your goals. If you go over your daily calorie goal, even with healthy foods, you will gain weight.
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I use coconut water as a base, filled me for a few hours, but here are a few of my go to staples.
    Fill up half way with baby spinach or kale. I really smoosh it tight. this is with every drink.

For PB banana one. I add 1 frozen small banana, 2 table spoons of PB2, sometimes cocoa, and ground flax.

For sweeter, I do same veg with frozen mango, chia and a tiny bit of honey.

And if I have fruit going bad I add it if there is room and experiment.
  • Agathokakological
    Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I like to have a berry and oat smoothie for breakfast, or sometimes dinner if I don't feel like cooking. I't 222 calories, and it keeps me full. It makes a 24oz smoothie.

6oz frozen berries (I use the tri-berry mix from Sam's club)
    20g yogurt (Fage 2% plain greek)
    20g oats (Quaker rolled oats)
    7g coconut oil (pure, unrefined, cold pressed, organic)
    16oz bottle of very cold water

I use the coconut oil to add a little fat and to cover the taste of the yogurt. You could easily leave it out to lower the calories a bit. If you want a different version, sub out 6oz frozen banana for the berries, leave out the coconut oil, and add 3TBS PB2 powder, that brings it up to 328 calories.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    FatPixiee wrote: »
    So I got a magic bullet knockoff for xmas and I've tried a few fruit combinations, but I was wondering if anyone knew of some decent smoothies that are good for weight and even meal replacement. I know I asked this about shakes already, but I want to know what fruits and other things to blend together that would be healthy, low cal, and keep me full for a while. If you know of a recipe or a good site for this sort of thing I'd so appreciate it. Oh yeah, it doesn't have to be fruit either, just anything that can be made with my little blender.

Just an FYI- there's not such thing as a weight loss smoothie. Blending food doesn't make it healthier or better for weight loss. Smoothies can be low cal, but they can just as well be calorie bombs.

Good tasting combinations (assume +ice for everything):

-Strawberries
    -silken tofu
    -vanilla soy milk

-pineapple
    -vanilla soy milk
    -honey/truvia/artificial sweetener

-lite chocolate muscle milk
    -PB2 (it's peanut butter powder)
    -vanilla soy milk/water to adjust consistency

-pumpkin puree
    -vanilla soy milk
    -cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, allspice
    -some coffee =)
  • jcurrie17
    jcurrie17 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Simplegreensmoothies.com has awesome recipes. I love their beginners luck smoothie. I add flax meal or chia seeds for an added boost of protein and fiber.