HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!17 Day,WeightWatchers, Fast Metabolism, DASH or WHAT?????

Options
13»

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    It is a lot different to try losing weight when you are in your 60s than in your 30s 0r 40s. Much damage has been done to your metabolism from the yo-yo dieting. I have done this in the past where I would lose a ton of weight and then regain it. Dieting does not work you are all correct about that. You have to change your way of life for the rest of your life. I just finished reading the Fast Metabolism Diet and I hate that it is called "diet". Maybe some of you have seen Haylie Pomroy on Dr. Oz or a number of other shows. She explains how the metabolism works and how our systems have gotten messed up. This is about repairing, not dieting. I have been doing her system for 6 days now and have lost 9 lbs. and I sure am not going hungry!! You do a carb cycle so some days you may not have the bad carbs. But it only lasts for 2 days so I have found it very doable. No counting calories is required for the 28 days of her repair but I do log my food here just so I can keep track and am surprised that with all the food I am eating, I am still under my 1560 goal most days. I know I am going on and on here, so just wanted to throw my 2 cents in and give you something to think about, mccubbe. You could find her book useful, not that I wanted to throw another book at you but I believe in this one. Good luck!!

Sorry but this is rubbish ...it's not about repairing it's about calorie defecit

You don't need to do this

It has no basis in scientific fact

It takes a simple (well complex) biological process, adds a little twisted facts from adaptive thermogenisis and creates something somewhat palatable to buy into

If this is what psychs you up to finally take control of your food intake then fair enough

Cosigned.

• Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    I can't speak for the rest of these "diets" but Weight Watchers is NOT restrictive at all. It's pretty much like MFP. It's a great program and you'll learn tons of lifelong eating lessons on it. However, you can do the same thing with MFP for free, and of course there are no MFP meetings either which I found tremendously helpful on WW.

Good luck to you.
    I agree. I did not feel restricted at all on Weight Watchers. I just can not afford it any longer.

• starlitwaters
    starlitwaters Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Carol_ wrote: »
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    I can't speak for the rest of these "diets" but Weight Watchers is NOT restrictive at all. It's pretty much like MFP. It's a great program and you'll learn tons of lifelong eating lessons on it. However, you can do the same thing with MFP for free, and of course there are no MFP meetings either which I found tremendously helpful on WW.

Good luck to you.
    I agree. I did not feel restricted at all on Weight Watchers. I just can not afford it any longer.

Same here. WW taught me a lot about food, but the price tag is just too high for me.
  • selmalolo77
    selmalolo77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    How much do you have to lose?
    Height
    Weight
    Etc
    People need details :)

20 kg please help
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I've tried a huge amount of 'popular diets' and none of them have been useful to me. The only thing I found to work was eating at a sensible calorie deficit and tracking/weighing my food. Sometimes stripping it back to basics is the only way. A lot of these 'popular diets' make things sound so needlessly complicated! :)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    mccubbee wrote: »
    My library of diet books is bursting off the shelves..... I am an intelligent ( in most ways but obviously not with food) 62 year old woman. I find myself getting swayed into whatever is the new idea..... Common sense tells me that I should be able to eat less and exercise more .... and BINGO, I am at goal weight. NOT HAPPENING. I am hoping for some ideas here on a plan that is nutritionally sound and not depriving me of things I love. I seem to actually need a written plan though. Please HELP!!

^This is probably why so many people would just rather stay overweight. They think this is what you have to do. I know I did for the longest time.

P.S.: I doubt OP is going to be back...

• michellersimon
    michellersimon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy whole foods will be the best way that you will keep the weight off in the long run. If you go to the extreme by eating an extremely small amount and exercising for long periods of time, as soon as you stop you will gain the weight back instantly. You have to train your metabolism to burn the meals along with good excercise the weight will come right off and stay off. Try carb cycling also as a way to shock your metabolism every now and then. Make sure your protein intake is high.
    Cardio excercises is the long route to losing weight. The fatest and most effective exercises are ones with weights and High intensity interval training.
    Best of luck to you!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    mccubbee wrote: »
    My library of diet books is bursting off the shelves..... I am an intelligent ( in most ways but obviously not with food) 62 year old woman. I find myself getting swayed into whatever is the new idea..... Common sense tells me that I should be able to eat less and exercise more .... and BINGO, I am at goal weight. NOT HAPPENING. I am hoping for some ideas here on a plan that is nutritionally sound and not depriving me of things I love. I seem to actually need a written plan though. Please HELP!!

With all of your diet books, what is the common theme?
    Maybe you are still eating too much?
    Maybe your not exercising enough?
  • rebelq
    rebelq Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    misscrish wrote: »
    LuvPosh wrote: »
    Ok tough love?! You either want to lose weight or you want to use excuses why it doesn't work.

So...why didn't weight watchers work, if you want the option to eat all the things that made you overweight? They give you the option of a meal plan for the week or you take responsibility and make your own choices.

@LuvPosh . I think that was a bit harsh especially not knowing her height and weight. Needing to lose a 10-12 extra pounds at 62 isn't the same as trying to lose 30, 40, 50+lbs at 42. I have found that the heavier you are to start with the faster and more bulk weight you lose initially. I've been on MFP for 4 days and already lost 8 lbs. It may be only water weight but 10lbs on a scale is 10lbs on the scale. I know that once I reach closer to my goal weight it may take me months to lose the last 10 lbs. Following MFP is the best advice on here. Every plan isn't for everybody. Weightwatchers alone never helped me either. I had to combine a few different plans together to find what finally allowed me to shed pounds pretty quickly. (35lbs in 3 months.) Best thing is to be patient with yourself. Sometimes just a little tweak can make all the differance. Mccubee you will find your sweet spot.

• rebelq
    rebelq Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You are so right about the difference in weight loss & age. In my 30s & 40s, when I went on a diet, or added exercise, the weight came off quick! Now I lose nothing unless I watch my eating AND exercise. The physiological reason, we are flat losing muscle as we age, muscle mass which burns more calories. So MFP is SO helpful, getting me into the mind set of "I HAVE to exercise!", I can't stay in my calories unless I do.
    Good for you, misscrish & hope you find continued success!!
  • lolabuonomo8
    lolabuonomo8 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I know I'm a little late to the party but .... The best advice to follow is to do what works for you. For every person that is different. For me it's most definitely not about calories in verse calories out. Think about what you're eating not how many calories it contains. You want to focus on boosting your metabolism. Try having a small cup of coffee before you work out or if you like spicy food throw a couple jalapeño peppers on your salad. Eat filling foods like protein. Eat protein. Eat protein. Eat protein. It fills you up and builds muscle.

Next piece of advice, work out. No don't just go to the gym and do your daily 30 mins. You need to change it up. Try lifting 3 times a week, that builds muscle and muscle burns calories! You might be "gaining" weight but you'll look leaner and you'll be able to eat more throughout your day. You need to change up your routine. Your body is VERY good at adapting. You become more and more efficient at doing that exercise, meaning you aren't burning as many calories as you once were. Try yoga one day, going for a walk another, then cycling. There's intervals you can jog and walk, you could even row. Heck you could even garden. The important thing is to change it up! Diversify the food you eat. Your body gets used to eating the same thing you need to challenge it by consuming different veggies and meats, it will have to work harder to digest them.

I hope this helps!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    How many times is this thread going to be revived?!

30139d1334299885-ript-zombie-thread.png
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Debadi54 wrote: »
    I plan my day in calories at the beginning of my day. Then I know exactly what I can have for the day and also know my menu! This site is easy to use as long as you count everything you eat, every day. You only cheat yourself if you don't. If I want something more/special, I take a walk or whatever exercise you like. As noted above, if you eat less than you burn, you will lose. Good luck!

This right here has helped me the most. It's almost like creating your own written plan to follow. I know some people who don't do well with logging at the start of the day/week, but I also like to have a plan to stick to and this allows me to do just that!

I also have some friends at work who did WW in the past and still have all their information from it, so now they follow the WW diet without paying for the service or attending meetings.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The reason MFP works for so many people is that it combines two great predictors of long term success: journalling and a support network.

WHAT you eat isn't as important as HOW MUCH. Most people start eating a little better just because they know they have to write it down.

Of course, for health reasons, you should get lots of veggies and some fruit, and choose healthy fats, like avocado, nuts, and olive oil. Fill in with some proteins, maybe some whole grains, and the occasional whatever the heck you want.

If you want it written down, try pre-journalling. Enter in what you plan to eat today (or even tomorrow). Then you will know if you are meeting your goals. Make sure to follow the plan, and to change entries whenever you do deviate from the plan.