Post Workout meals..High protein WITHOUT protein powder!!

Options
Ri55
Ri55 Posts: 25 Member
Hey..Share your great post workout smoothies or shakes or even meal ideas that are really high in protein but do not involve the use of protein powder as I m on a budget right now and getting a good quality protein powder is a bit expensive...I would like to know some few ing shakes as they dont require a lot of prep work but any idea is fine ..

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    grill some chicken or fish...that's usually what I do. eat that with some kind of grain or starch and some veggies...takes like 20 minutes tops.

beyond that, just hit your protein target for the day...the whole anabolic window thing is pretty overblown.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Protein powder isn't really that expensive, its like $0.70/serving for 20g of protein. And shop around, you can get that for very low calories.

In comparison, a can of Vienna Sausage ( 5g ) + 1 Stick Cheese ( 5g ) + 8oz of 2% milk ( g ) gets you close, but the cost is over $1.00 per, and its more than double the calories.

I used to buy a pre-mix that came in a shelf stable carton, which was 110 calories for 17g @ $1.37/serving, that would still be less expensive than the above.

I stopped buying it because I was hitting my protein goals from regular nutrition, and didnt need to supplement protein.

Just wait til you get home, and eat a good balanced meal. There are no clinical studies that prove the existence of an anabolic window; and even studies of MPS or other factors, do not claim an immediate need for supplementation.
  • Tammynado
    Tammynado Posts: 17 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I buy my protein powder at Costco - the large canister for $29 ... you can find smaller canisters for around $10 at grocery stores. I did stop using protein powder all together at one time and wanted something more organic and less processed (I use organic plant based protein powder now from Costco)... I would make a smoothie - mostly green smoothies kale, spinach, apple, banana, then 1 cup of liquid (s/f 100% pure juice, s/f almond milk, or even water) - then eat an boiled egg for the protein ... or I would add in some tofu to the smoothie - you can't taste it - it has no taste at all.. but gives it a creamy texture sort of like yogurt & is good for added protein - there is about 10 grams of protein in 1/2 a cup - if I remember correctly. It comes packed in water - just remember to change out the water every day and it will last longer.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    canned tuna, if you don't want the mayo, add some salsa (peach is my favorite)
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    if you buy the right type of protein powder and price it per ounce or per gram of protein per $ it actually comes out cheaper than most solid foods with the same amount of protein.