Anybody who can help me with some workouts that favor a ruptured disc in my lower back?

Options
I desperately need to start working out again after rupturing a disc in my lumbar region but exercise is excruciating. I've tried walking/running, eliptical, and strength training.
Does anyone know how yoga or pilates would affect a back? I'm tempted to try but I don't have to invest in something thatwon't help. thanks!

Replies

• reeves45
    reeves45 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I use the fluidity bar. Very low impact, great results.
  • biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have 3 ruptured disks, but they're in my upper back region. What really helped me get stronger, was physical therapy. Lifting was very frustrating because flaring up of the back pain was the norm. Now I can lift better and much heavier, thanks to going through the process of getting my dead nerves fired up and getting stronger again through the process of physical therapy. Good luck!
  • momar23
    momar23 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yoga and Pilates require a lot of core work and will likely cause you considerable pain at this point. I suggest you see a physiotherapist.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    See if your doctor will order physical therapy. Active core muscle strengthening will take pressure off of your back
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    momar23 wrote: »
    ... I suggest you see a physiotherapist.

Agree. My hospital have a series of stretching classes for back injuries run by the physical therapists. Any decent physical therapist should be able to give you a programme.
  • Igoligirl
    Igoligirl Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    momar23 wrote: »
    ... I suggest you see a physiotherapist.

Agree. My hospital have a series of stretching classes for back injuries run by the physical therapists. Any decent physical therapist should be able to give you a programme.

It seems there is a consensus for physical therapy. Thanks guys!
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Yoga, Pilates and anything in a pool.