Food Scale Question

Options
I bought a food scale at Ross not too long ago before really doing any research on what type to get. The scale I currently have only measures in ounces..but I always see other people measuring in grams. Should I ditch my scale and get one that measures in grams? I just bought it a month or so ago and I don't really want to get a new one unless I need to. I've been measuring/logging everything in ounces and it seems to be working just fine, so I don't know if I should go ahead and stick with the one I've got or not.

Replies

• starlitwaters
    starlitwaters Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The fact that you have a food scale at all is a great step. :)

Grams are generally more accurate than ounces, however. I have one that lets me switch between grams and ounces.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    chismmegan wrote: »
    I bought a food scale at Ross not too long ago before really doing any research on what type to get. The scale I currently have only measures in ounces..but I always see other people measuring in grams. Should I ditch my scale and get one that measures in grams? I just bought it a month or so ago and I don't really want to get a new one unless I need to. I've been measuring/logging everything in ounces and it seems to be working just fine, so I don't know if I should go ahead and stick with the one I've got or not.

Does it measure in tenths and hundredths of an ounce? E.g., can you weigh something as 5.75 ounces?
  • chismmegan
    chismmegan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just don't know if you're really supposed to be measuring solid food with ounces. I don't know if it matters though.
  • chismmegan
    Options

Does it measure in tenths and hundredths of an ounce? E.g., can you weigh something as 5.75 ounces?

Yes. It will give me 1/8 or 3/4 ect.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    One gram is .035 of an ounce. One tenth of an ounce is .1 of an ounce.

The scale that uses grams is, all other things, going to be more accurate than one that only goes to tenths of an ounce, but given the error inherent in weighing and rounding in nutritional values anyway, I don't think it would be worth getting another scale.
  • starlitwaters
    starlitwaters Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You may be thinking of fluid ounces, which are a different type of measurement. Fluid ounces measure volume, ounces measure weight.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I just don't know if you're really supposed to be measuring solid food with ounces. I don't know if it matters though.

You can. Grams are more accurate because 1)they're smaller units than ounces and 2)the nutrition information on the back of a package is based on grams. You can weigh in ounces, but it's more accurate if you can weigh in hundredths of an ounce, and you'll have to do some extra math in some cases.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Is it a digital or mechanical scale? Almost every digital scale made now will switch between ounces and grams. Some cheaper digital scales (like Walmart sells under their Mainstays brand) have the switch to select the units on the bottom, so yours might have an inconveniently placed selector.

Grams is considered easier to work with since almost all nutrition labels (even in the US) will give portion sizes both in volume/count and weight in grams. So if the portion size is listed as 3/4 cup (85 grams), you can weigh out your portion without having to do a conversion.

Digital scales are cheap, though. You can get another for ~$20-30.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Grams and ounces are just different measurement units. You can certainly measure solid foods in ounces which are different than the liquid ounces we use to measure liquids. The reason a lot of people use grams is that they are a smaller unit of measurement than an ounce so you can be more accurate.

Here goes a lot of math so if you have trouble with it, just skip to the end. There are 16 ounces to the pound and most scales will measure in the tenths of an ounce. There are 1000 grams to the kilogram (which is 2 pounds and 3.273965 ounces if you didn't know the conversion) and scales that measure in kilograms go down to the gram. There are 28 grams to the ounce which is a much smaller unit of measurement than tenths of a pound.

So.... many more grams to the pound than tenths of ounces to the pound allows much greater precision when weighing and when entering food into MFP. That means your calorie counts will be that much closer to accurate. However, you probably don't NEED to be quite that accurate when measuring so if you're having success with your current scale there's it's not necessary to buy a new one.
  • chismmegan
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Is it a digital or mechanical scale? Almost every digital scale made now will switch between ounces and grams. Some cheaper digital scales (like Walmart sells under their Mainstays brand) have the switch to select the units on the bottom, so yours might have an inconveniently placed selector.

Grams is considered easier to work with since almost all nutrition labels (even in the US) will give portion sizes both in volume/count and weight in grams. So if the portion size is listed as 3/4 cup (85 grams), you can weigh out your portion without having to do a conversion.

It just measures in lbs, kg, and oz.
    For some reason not regular grams though. I don't know, I probably have to do math..which sucks.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

For some reason not regular grams though. I don't know, I probably have to do math..which sucks.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that when it says "kg" it means grams.

• chismmegan
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Grams and ounces are just different measurement units. You can certainly measure solid foods in ounces which are different than the liquid ounces we use to measure liquids. The reason a lot of people use grams is that they are a smaller unit of measurement than an ounce so you can be more accurate.

Here goes a lot of math so if you have trouble with it, just skip to the end. There are 16 ounces to the pound and most scales will measure in the tenths of an ounce. There are 1000 grams to the kilogram (which is 2 pounds and 3.273965 ounces if you didn't know the conversion) and scales that measure in kilograms go down to the gram. There are 28 grams to the ounce which is a much smaller unit of measurement than tenths of a pound.

So.... many more grams to the pound than tenths of ounces to the pound allows much greater precision when weighing and when entering food into MFP. That means your calorie counts will be that much closer to accurate. However, you probably don't NEED to be quite that accurate when measuring so if you're having success with your current scale there's it's not necessary to buy a new one.

That's kind of what I figured. I'll just stick to this scale for now. Lost 10 pounds with it..so obviously I'm doing something right haha.
  • SueInAz
    edited June 2015
    Options

If it does kilograms (kg) to what decimal level does it go? If it gives you three zeros after the decimal point then it's measuring grams.

That's another reason why we like grams. You don't have to do math in your head. :smile:
  • chismmegan
    Options
    I haven't used it on that setting, so you might be right. But since as far as I know, 1 Kilogram = 1000 Grams.. I didn't even bother with it.
    I'll have to try it and see what it does. Like I said, I didn't even mess with it since it had a "k" haha
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    99.9999% it doesn't actually measure in kilograms, but in grams. I mean, if you put something that weighed about 2.2 pounds on it, it's almost certainly not going to say "1.0".
  • chismmegan
    Options
    You're probably right. I didn't think/bother with it. I was surprised that it seemed like my scale was the only one that didn't measure in grams. Hahaha, shows what I know.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

If it works and you get the results you want, then keep using it.

My scale is digital and I can switch between the various units....but I mostly use grams.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »

If it works and you get the results you want, then keep using it.

My scale is digital and I can switch between the various units....but I mostly use grams.
    I use grams up until a certain point. Once I've reached several hundred grams it's much easier just to measure in ounces. I can't do the math in my head and it's not worth pulling out a calculator. LOL