Can stretched skin from being fat "unstretch"?

Options
Someone at work (being typically un-tactful) said "well, once the skin is stretched out from being overweight so long, it stays like that. So even after you lose weight and tone the muscles underneath, the skin will still be all jiggly and gross".

Really? I have about 50 lbs to lose, but the idea that I will have that icky jiggly arm or belly flab no matter what has me kinda bummed! Is that true?

Replies

• MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Not everyone has saggy skin after weight loss it really depends on the person and how rapid of a loss
  • path2a6pack
    path2a6pack Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    it shouldnt be that dramatic - people have different skin - generally it will be ok and will just tuck in with a good tan you will be ok - if for some reason its horrific $2,000 will fix it lol - get there and worry about that later but you will be ok
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I'm not positive, but I think as long as you don't lose a ton of weight really quickly, and you make sure you're doing strength training, the skin will shrink. I've lost 50 and I don't have loose skin.
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Go on youtube and look up "p90x transformations" (Or even weight-loss transformations, I'm just using p90x as an example because most of them are about 2 minutes long and really show you) you will see that the skin bounces back once you do a lot strength training.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I'm really hoping that I can get mine to "shrink." lol I have had five babies; the last one, I got HUGE. And I gained even more weight after he was born. eeeeek! I have a total of about 70 pounds to lose to get to my happy place. The last time I lost over 40 and got to my happy weight, I had a little skin left (and that was three babies ago). :-/ It isn't promising. But I'll save up and get the extra skin cut off after I get my weight down before I'll let it ruin my plans. :-D
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I went from 213lb at 9 months pregnant to 130lb a year and a half later. i had softer skin then before the baby but it wasnt hanging.
  • 512cheangela
    512cheangela Posts: 133
    Options
    It depends on age and your genetic disposition for elasticity. There is no "one size fits all" answer to this question. I dropped 80 pounds in 6 months back in 2005-2006 and had no uncalled for wobbly bits. Just don't make the mistake I did in skipping strength training -- it is quite customary to loose breast mass and the more strength you have in your chest and back will keep them standing at attention.

...and if it just so happens you end up with loose skin, relish in the fact that it is highly likely that it will eventually adjust to your new smaller frame in time. Stay hydrated and keep being good to yourself. Your body will reward you for it :-)
  • supermom66
    supermom66 Posts: 8
    Options
    I lost over 50 lbs and after a year, I've noticed my arms are tight skinned! I just use lotion and keep my nutrition up and take vitamins. Just take good care of yourself and your skin and it won't be as bad as that person said it would be at work. As for my tummy, well, I'm not going to give up hope but I do have saggy skin. However, It is getting better with religiously applying cocoa cream to it and I have seen improvement. It will take time, but I/m confident I won't need to do surgery or anything drastic. Just keep using the stretch creams like the cocoa butters.
  • Growe190
    Growe190 Posts: 18
    Options
    Gosh, I hope not!!!, last time I lost 120 lbs I was 30 years old, it took me 8 months and the skin was nice and tight when I finished. This time I'm 56 so I admit that I'm a little nervous. The doctor told me that it is fast weight loss that causes the significant saggy skin. The faster you lose sigificant weight the more likley you are to have skin left over. I'll let you know for sure in October when I hit 200 lbs. :)
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It depends. Most often you see that stretch, saggy skin as a result of a rapid weight loss. If you are exercising that can help tighten the skin to an extent. Also a moderate paced weight loss give the body time to adjust so there isn't as much sagging and of course genetics plays a part as well.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I've lost 72 lbs. since September and I have saggy skin (under my arms, upper thighs and belly). But, I'm also really short (4 ft. 11), so all of my weight doesn't spread like taller people. I'm hoping that it will get better with time and with exercising, but if not, then I'll either learn to live with it or save up for surgery after I reach and maintain my goal weight.
  • DESIREE1210
    DESIREE1210 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've lost 76#'s and I have about 71#'s more to go. I consulted a surgeon last night and he told me, mine will never go back. I had too much weight that stretched it out and the only way to get rid of it is to cut it off.
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I've had three kids, one being 10 lbs, on a 5'2" frame with a short torso. Therefore, I had some stretched out skin. I still have a bit, but it is slowly going back to normal. I have been losing slowly, though. Genetics and age have a say in this too.
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It depends on age and your genetic disposition for elasticity. There is no "one size fits all" answer to this question. I dropped 80 pounds in 6 months back in 2005-2006 and had no uncalled for wobbly bits. Just don't make the mistake I did in skipping strength training -- it is quite customary to loose breast mass and the more strength you have in your chest and back will keep them standing at attention.

...and if it just so happens you end up with loose skin, relish in the fact that it is highly likely that it will eventually adjust to your new smaller frame in time. Stay hydrated and keep being good to yourself. Your body will reward you for it :-)

Agree!

It also depends on HOW much you have to lse, how quickly you gained it in the first place. If you have a lot of stretch marks from gaining weight quickly, your skin is permanently damaged. If, like me, you lose the equivalent of a grown man (200+ pounds), there is no way you can get away with some loose skin.

In the end, I wuld much rather havve that loose skin than to live in a body that had so many limits.
  • teaplease
    teaplease Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just about 2 years ago or so, I developed really wrinkled upper arms and its really embarrassing wearing sleeveless shirts and dresses. I was told at the gym that no amount of weight training would ever take it away. My grandmother had arms like that and I guess it could be genetic. Its so depressing. I have never been really overweight so I guess I should have taken care of this when I was younger. I have tried all kinds of lotions and as far as I know nothing works. You can't stop the aging process! :(